Pages:
Author

Topic: What should owners with BTC on Exchange do before Aug 1st? - page 3. (Read 1619 times)

Activity: 172
Merit: 100
Safest not to keep anything onine
legendary
Activity: 1232
Merit: 1195
IF you're worried then move them into a safe wallet where you control the private keys like bitcoincore. It's probably best contacting the specific exchange directly regarding what they'll do with the split  but remember if they hold your coins then they hold your keys and ultimately can decide what to do for you. For peace of mind make sure you have that choice yourself.

Thanks. Any cloud wallet that is considered safest? Otherwise desktop (Mac)?

I have no experience with cloud wallets so cannot recommend one. I would just go with core or Electrum which is a 'lite' client. There's also a sub board for different wallets at the following url so may be worth having a browse https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?board=6.0

btw any idea where LeChuck is or what he'd been doing lately? :-)

Grin
Activity: 28
Merit: 0
may i the only one person who is confused about what is going to happen after july and what new rules or anything changes in bitcoins is going to happen.
Many peoples are explaining about it but its getting into my head will anyone please explain these situation in clear manner.
he will be given thanks from my side Smiley
Activity: 812
Merit: 509
First let me apologize for my ignorance (or rather confusion). I understand bitcoin may split on Aug 1st and that it may result in multiple chains. I have some BTC in gdax wallet and I am unsure if that will mean risk, or losing ownership should the coin split into two (or more?) chains that may end up like ETH/ETC both being valid (despite ETH being the clear winner).

Any advice at a practical level (e.g.. which wallet, what to pay attention to exactly, what not to, when to return funds) is really appreciated. Thank you!

Well since your are worried about your security, I would first recommend checking gtax wallet and seeing if they have made a statement. Since August the first is coming around pretty soon, there will be no chance to buy a new hardware wallet since ledger has postponed operations until September and the trezor probably won't ship in time. I would recommend getting Electrum since I am pretty sure that it is safe against the hard fork. The most important thing for you to have are your private keys since you will be safe if you have them.
Activity: 56
IF you're worried then move them into a safe wallet where you control the private keys like bitcoincore. It's probably best contacting the specific exchange directly regarding what they'll do with the split  but remember if they hold your coins then they hold your keys and ultimately can decide what to do for you. For peace of mind make sure you have that choice yourself.

Thanks. Any cloud wallet that is considered safest? Otherwise desktop (Mac)? btw any idea where LeChuck is or what he'd been doing lately? :-)
legendary
Activity: 1232
Merit: 1195
Activity: 56
First let me apologize for my ignorance (or rather confusion). I understand bitcoin may split on Aug 1st and that it may result in multiple chains. I have some BTC in gdax wallet and I am unsure if that will mean risk, or losing ownership should the coin split into two (or more?) chains that may end up like ETH/ETC both being valid (despite ETH being the clear winner).

Any advice at a practical level (e.g.. which wallet, what to pay attention to exactly, what not to, when to return funds) is really appreciated. Thank you!
Pages:
Jump to: