Pages:
Author

Topic: What the "average user" needs to know about Transaction Mutability - page 4. (Read 38869 times)

donator
Activity: 980
Merit: 1004
felonious vagrancy, personified
The more permanent fix is to identify transactions by inputs and outputs, and (correctly) treat the relationship between transactions and txids as one-to-many.

The situation isn't helped by the fact that the blockchain data structure is founded on the assumption of unique txids (each transaction references its inputs by their transaction hash), whereas the wire protocol cannot assume unique txids.

By the way, this is the second time bitcoin has gotten burned by this.  The first time was when a miner managed to get more than one identical coinbase transaction into the chain, breaking this assumption.
Activity: 968
Merit: 515
Why does Gavin keep denying that the reference implementation can't handle duplicated TXs.
Transactions are always tracked properly by the Bitcoin-Qt/bitcoind software.
Only users who make multiple transactions in a short period of time will be affected.
This is a bold lie (see Duplicated Transaction Visibility explained by DaT).
Activity: 252
Merit: 250
I am a normal user, affected by this issue and lost money, now all bitcoin transactions should be stopped to prevent this happening, or the dead of bitcoin.

How did you lose money? Please elaborate.

Well, then someone who has been here longer then yesterday.
I have a payment of 0.10btc pending since yesterday.
I cannot find it in the blockchain so i hope it will correct itself.
Activity: 110
Merit: 10
I am a normal user, affected by this issue and lost money, now all bitcoin transactions should be stopped to prevent this happening, or the dead of bitcoin.

It's just another newbie poster spreading FUD about Bitcoin.

Name:    gamecenteruk
Activity:    4
Position:    Newbie
legendary
Activity: 1148
Merit: 1018

Activity: 14
Merit: 0
legendary
Activity: 1148
Merit: 1018
This post should be stickied, at least until the transaction malleability issue is solved.

Good job D&T, the clearest and most complete explanation of the issue I've read so far.
Activity: 335
Merit: 100
The original post is well written. There's another problem with the fix, though. If you can't spend unconfirmed change arising from confirmed inputs, once you've spent some money, you sometimes can't spend again until a few confirmations have been processed. There's now an option in the official QT client to enforce that rule.  

This creates operational problems for Bitcoin use. Once you've spent some Bitcoins, you may not be able to spend any more Bitcoins for tens of minutes. Whether or not you can spend depends on the denominations of Bitcoins currently in your wallet. You don't have an "account balance", you have a collection of Bitcoin items with varying denominations, and this now matters.  Explaining this to end users is going to be a problem, especially since the current user interface doesn't expose that level of detail to the user. With the "no spending unconfirmed change" rule enforced, it's going to look like this, I think:

User has 1 BTC, 0 unconfirmed, 1.0 available for spending. The 1 BTC is from a single transaction.
User spends 0.5 BTC.
User now has 0.5 BTC, 0.5 unconfirmed, 0 available for spending.
Half an hour later....
User now has 0.5 BTC, 0 unconfirmed, 0.5 available for spending.

This is not going to play well at the mall.

For a big operation with a lot of outgoing transactions, like an exchange, wallet systems may have to have something like active currency management. (This is the "we have too many twenties, and not enough fives right now" problem a retailer sometimes faces).

Anybody thinking about this?

That assumes the user only has a single unspent output available to spend. If a user had multiple unspent outputs they could make multiple txs each involving one or more of them while the new unconfirmed change confirms.  My current wallet has 118 unspent outputs so I wouldn't be affected as much by the more conservative version than someone who literally has received Bitcoins once ever.

The patch isn't ideal but it is better than a situation where txs "unexplainably" simply never confirm.  The long term goal should be immutable transaction ids however this is a significant challenge and it is going to take a long time.  The "fix" proposed would be temporary because doing nothing until the long term goal is reached is not viable.  Make no mistake, it isn't ideal, but it is better than what we have right now.  I also suggested that it be optional so if users want to risk broken transactions they can spend unconfirmed change outputs.  Another optional change would be to have the client create two or more change outputs when the number of discrete unspent outputs (we are talking unique outputs not necessarily value) is "low".  This would give the coin selection algorithm more options and (once confirmed) allowed the user to make multiple back to back transactions before needing to wait for a confirmation.  You can manually do this yourself (i.e. in your 1 BTC example the user could right now send 0.1 BTC to 10 different addresses in his wallet).

Thanks for this OP.  
I tried reading it, but to be honest, I don't understand all the computer lingo and code.

Thanks D&T for comprehensive explanation.
I  tried my best to read it.  To be honest, I can't say get it, but at least understand something.
In the example TX.A the user spends 0.6 and not 0.4?
donator
Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079
Gerald Davis
The original post is well written. There's another problem with the fix, though. If you can't spend unconfirmed change arising from confirmed inputs, once you've spent some money, you sometimes can't spend again until a few confirmations have been processed. There's now an option in the official QT client to enforce that rule.  

This creates operational problems for Bitcoin use. Once you've spent some Bitcoins, you may not be able to spend any more Bitcoins for tens of minutes. Whether or not you can spend depends on the denominations of Bitcoins currently in your wallet. You don't have an "account balance", you have a collection of Bitcoin items with varying denominations, and this now matters.  Explaining this to end users is going to be a problem, especially since the current user interface doesn't expose that level of detail to the user. With the "no spending unconfirmed change" rule enforced, it's going to look like this, I think:

User has 1 BTC, 0 unconfirmed, 1.0 available for spending. The 1 BTC is from a single transaction.
User spends 0.5 BTC.
Half an hour later....

For a big operation with a lot of outgoing transactions, like an exchange, wallet systems may have to have something like active currency management. (This is the "we have too many twenties, and not enough fives right now" problem a retailer sometimes faces).

That assumes the user only has a single unspent output available to spend. If a user had multiple unspent outputs they could make multiple txs each involving one or more of them while the new unconfirmed change confirms.  My current wallet has 118 unspent outputs so I wouldn't be affected as much by the more conservative version than someone who literally has received Bitcoins once ever.

The patch isn't ideal but it is better than a situation where txs "unexplainably" simply never confirm.  The long term goal should be immutable transaction ids however this is a significant challenge and it is going to take a long time.  The "fix" proposed would be temporary because doing nothing until the long term goal is reached is not viable.  Make no mistake, it isn't ideal, but it is better than what we have right now.  I also suggested that it be optional so if users want to risk broken transactions they can spend unconfirmed change outputs.  Another optional change would be to have the client create two or more change outputs when the number of discrete unspent outputs (we are talking unique outputs not necessarily value) is "low".  This would give the coin selection algorithm more options and (once confirmed) allowed the user to make multiple back to back transactions before needing to wait for a confirmation.  You can manually do this yourself (i.e. in your 1 BTC example the user could right now send 0.1 BTC to 10 different addresses in his wallet).
legendary
Activity: 1204
Merit: 1000

This creates operational problems for Bitcoin use. Once you've spent some Bitcoins, you may not be able to spend any more Bitcoins for tens of minutes. Whether or not you can spend depends on the denominations of Bitcoins currently in your wallet. You don't have an "account balance", you have a collection of Bitcoin items with varying denominations, and this now matters.  Explaining this to end users is going to be a problem, especially since the current user interface doesn't expose that level of detail to the user. With the "no spending unconfirmed change" rule enforced, it's going to look like this, I think:

User spends 0.5 BTC.
Half an hour later....

legendary
Activity: 1162
What you need to know about Transaction mutability even if you are running the QT (reference) client or another major client.  
(..)

Great posts and structured informations in this thread. Thank you DeathAndTaxes!
legendary
Activity: 1456
Merit: 1001
This is the land of wolves now & you're not a wolf
Thanks for this OP.  I tried reading it, but to be honest, I don't understand all the computer lingo and code Sad   I wish I did, because I really wanted to understand what was going on today...
Either when a peer relays the duplicate to your node, or when a peer relays a block containing the duplicate to your node.
Doesn't Bitcoin-QT reject a duplicate TX that inputs are already used by another TX the node knows about? I think getting the duplicated TX in a block is the only way to create a duplicated transaction visibility. Correct me if I am wrong.

You are incorrect. Smiley 

The node will not RELAY it to other nodes but it records and shows all transactions related to your inputs or outputs that it becomes aware of.
Grin Reminds me of the satoshi spam issue. Thanks for clarification.
donator
Gerald Davis
Either when a peer relays the duplicate to your node, or when a peer relays a block containing the duplicate to your node.
Doesn't Bitcoin-QT reject a duplicate TX that inputs are already used by another TX the node knows about? I think getting the duplicated TX in a block is the only way to create a duplicated transaction visibility. Correct me if I am wrong.

You are incorrect. Smiley 

The node will not RELAY it to other nodes but it records and shows all transactions related to your inputs or outputs that it becomes aware of.
legendary
Activity: 1400
Merit: 1009
Clients should also record but flag and hide duplicate transactions (but not true double spends involving different outputs).  The client should not include these flagged/hidden transactions in the balance computations. Ultimately It doesn't matter which one of the duplicates is hidden as long as one is.  If the flagged tx is the one which is ultimately confirmed then the duplicate flag should be moved to the other copy.  The user would see no change other than the tx id would change when the duplicate is included in a block.
The more permanent fix is to identify transactions by inputs and outputs, and (correctly) treat the relationship between transactions and txids as one-to-many.

That way a client could do the right thing if multiple txids appear for the same transactions: display the duplicates seen on the network at least until the transaction is unconfirmed, and optionally discard the ones that don't make it into the blockchain.
donator
The original transaction should be there to mine also,

Yeah, and whoever finds the next block gets the fee, instead of you.

It simply isn't in the interest of any particular miner (or pool).  The decision about transaction inclusion is made by each miner (or pool) individually; it's not some sort of thing that the miners collectively vote on "for the common good".
Activity: 14
Merit: 0
PS, like your username.  And, yes, they do -- of electric sheep.  At least the androids.

Thanks. Or maybe they are counting Satoshi's.  Cheesy

Still, delaying a non canonical transaction to a later block wouldn't be a problem for miners, or would it? The original transaction should be there to mine also, unless it is a transaction which actually uses the capabilities of the script format and has a good fee. But then it wouldn't be a problem to mine it.  And in the end it is in the interest of the miners when bitcoin functions well and is valued, because it increases the value of their reward.

Also the stick could be applied to keep miners that apparently prefer non canonical transactions for no valid reason and keep them from spending matured coins unless they mine them theirselves.
donator
Yes, but wouldn't it be beneficial to agree on a canonical signature with positive R and S that gets preferential treatment for mining?

That's what I suggested:

A middle ground is to come up with rules for preferred transactions (ECDSA sig has the preferred sign, DER encoding, only very basic scripts) and hold any non-preferred transactions until the next block to see if a preferred spend of the same outputs shows up.  But you can't force miners to do this and it's slightly contrary to their interests since they'd have to forego the transaction fee and essentially give it to whoever finds the next block instead of taking it for themselves.  Cooking up new rules also isn't the sort of thing you want to do in a crisis like the current situation.

I think the point is that this wasn't done when transaction mutability was first noticed, and at the moment it can't be done quickly enough to solve the problem.

PS, like your username.  And, yes, they do -- of electric sheep.  At least the androids.
donator
Gerald Davis
Best statement issued so far.

The first issue is that the QT client is blissfully unaware of the fact that a transaction is a duplicate of another transaction, so it reports both txs to the user as if they are unique transactions.
1. I send a tx->Bitcoin-QT stores the TX and deducts the amount from the spendable balance (this tx can be prunned later)
2. Attacker creates a duplicate transaction
3. The malicious duplicated TX gets in a block
4. I receive the block->Bitcoin-QT stores the "new" tx and deducts the amount again
-> 2 identical TX (besides the ID) in the history and the double amount deducted

So Bitcoin-QT can not handle transaction malleability in general or under what circumstances do these duplicates appear in Bitcoin-QT? Does Bitcoin-QT continue to rebroadcast the original TX?

The duplicates appear whenever you node learns of them.  Either when a peer relays the duplicate to your node, or when a peer relays a block containing the duplicate to your node.

It is important to understand you don't actually "pay twice".  The balance *reported* by the client may be reduced but this is a reporting issue.  It would be like if you have 100 gold bars in a vault and the auditor miscounts it as 99 or 101.  The reported balance will be incorrect, but your wealth really hasn't changed but .  The incorrect report can't change the amount of actual gold in the vault.

If the duplicates were "hidden" from display and counting (and the balance is simply counting the value of all unspent outputs) it would display correctly.
Pages:
Jump to: