Pages:
Author

Topic: What to do about PRISM surveillance. A practical advice. - page 2. (Read 4512 times)

legendary
Activity: 3066
Merit: 1147
The revolution will be monetized!
Nice. Thanks.

Also, LIE. LIE like a MF. You do not have to be truthful on the internet. Junk up the databases with useless lies. Is your phone in your name? Why? I have not had a phone in my real name in forever. Use a variety of fictitious identities for your phone. Talk to your drug dealer, he/she will know how to do this.
Stop using spyware like windows or apple. You don't want that crap anyway. Try Linux and you will never go back to an untrustworthy proprietary OS.

Last and most importantly. Complain to your representatives. Politicians only care about money and votes. Call them out in public! If we are vocal enough we can take back some of our freedoms. 

legendary
Activity: 1135
Merit: 1166
legendary
Activity: 3598
Merit: 2386
Viva Ut Vivas
It depends, to avoid being tracked by most people? Use VPN or a similar service, usually the only time people would be able to find you through an internet connection is if they were particularly determined. What I do for instance is use a fake username like this that everyone can contact me on on the internet and keep my personal information separate, so even if I say, order something online, I use a different username to this one or use my real details and no one is going to know what I've been up to. Oh and if you really want to minimise your internet activity then of course Bitcoin is always an extremely good option, the only problem is not many normal services are accepting it just yet but as I've suggested in other threads you could buy Gold/Silver anonymously and then trade that in real life for cash.

As for PRISM? Like people are saying all over, it's the most hilariously flawed and fucked up surveillance program ever created, if it is automated, chances are you're going to have it setting off more false flags than an anti-virus on pirated software. There's that much information and communication out on the internet now it can and will fuck up systems like that so unless they're putting in a quantum computer then it won't be able to properly keep track of anything never mind an actual terrorist. This is probably going to be one of those programs that the U.S government will refuse to admit that it was wrong on until the bitter end knowing them.

Watson
legendary
Activity: 1540
Merit: 1000
It depends, to avoid being tracked by most people? Use VPN or a similar service, usually the only time people would be able to find you through an internet connection is if they were particularly determined. What I do for instance is use a fake username like this that everyone can contact me on on the internet and keep my personal information separate, so even if I say, order something online, I use a different username to this one or use my real details and no one is going to know what I've been up to. Oh and if you really want to minimise your internet activity then of course Bitcoin is always an extremely good option, the only problem is not many normal services are accepting it just yet but as I've suggested in other threads you could buy Gold/Silver anonymously and then trade that in real life for cash.

As for PRISM? Like people are saying all over, it's the most hilariously flawed and fucked up surveillance program ever created, if it is automated, chances are you're going to have it setting off more false flags than an anti-virus on pirated software. There's that much information and communication out on the internet now it can and will fuck up systems like that so unless they're putting in a quantum computer then it won't be able to properly keep track of anything never mind an actual terrorist. This is probably going to be one of those programs that the U.S government will refuse to admit that it was wrong on until the bitter end knowing them.
Activity: 70
Merit: 10
It will take a long time before people get fed up with it, but this revelation should be long-term beneficial to services like TorMail or any other anonymous e-mail/web browsing service.  VPNs should also see increased customers.
Activity: 658
Merit: 250
i would like to see ways to taint the NSA data, not illegal ddos or hacking, just things that would muddy the data they collect. false things that co-mingle with their 'real' data to make them unsure of the accuracy of the 'truth' they think they are finding from their illegal spying on peoples

if many of us could run a distributed computing network of a program that would inject false information into the meta data they collect, perhaps that would provide a smoke screen against the illegal data mining NSA does

so, using encrypted email is analogous to flying a stealth airplane through their radar, they do not see it

i am talking about this analogy, where you use a smoke grenade to provide cover for a squad to pass through a watched chokepoint

this would be  a way to do activism, civil disobedience in cyber space, by reducing the accuracy of PRISM, making their data less useful to them
Activity: 496
Merit: 500
Ok, we all know what's going on with spying on the Internet by now. Getting the information out was just the first step. The heroic effort made by Edward Snowden won't go too far if we the people do nothing and just forget about it in a week or two.

Here is a segment of a weekly Linux Action Show titled "Privacy Under Linux" which offers a few practical advices (conveyed in an easy to understand and entertaining manner) on how to keep your communications secure. Among other tools they mention BitMessage and TorChat which seem to be the easiest and more powerful tools to use even for non-techie people.

"Privacy Under Linux | LAS s27e04"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vihXlw6Yw-E
(on-topic stuff starts closer to the middle of the video)

You can also check out a few episodes of their new weekly show dedicated solely and completely to Bitcoin, which they ingeniously called "Plan BTC"

"90 Days or Bust | Plan B 10"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdd8lCIX3FY

"Bitcoin Will Disrupt Big Media | Plan B 9"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKfS2v6P-B8

"Then They Fight You | Plan B 8"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lDqVqhXHeDU
Pages:
Jump to: