Pages:
Author

Topic: What to do with 1 Bitcoin? - page 2. (Read 2498 times)

Activity: 686
Merit: 500
November 01, 2017, 01:12:17 AM
Did you actually do the Math? It's not worth buying ASICs to mine Bitcoins anymore.

BTCMillionaire,

I have done the math and I wanted to confirm my calculation. Here are my advantages:

1) my electricity is $0.04 kwh
2) my city is cold for 7 months out of the year; hence, cooling is free most of the year.
3) where I live, the humidity is quite low; hence, I can use cheap evaporated cooling instead of air conditioning
4) we have low tax here; hence, I will have lower import tax for antminers coming from China

Lets assume that a S11 antminer is $2500 and that I can earn average $15/day => 167 days for breakeven

S9 antminer is $1500 and that I can earn average $8/day => 188 days

BTW, I really appreciated your comments on GPUs mining, I am currently mining with a couple of dozen GPUs. I am thinking of venturing into ASICs mining but am also worry about the collapse of the cryptocurrency market.

Ignore him Digger. He is a anti-miner troll. Your S9 will bring in 15 a day currently and even at .10 elec, you still get a nice return Smiley

Scrap'
Activity: 47
Merit: 0
November 01, 2017, 12:18:48 AM
Did you actually do the Math? It's not worth buying ASICs to mine Bitcoins anymore.

BTCMillionaire,

I have done the math and I wanted to confirm my calculation. Here are my advantages:

1) my electricity is $0.04 kwh
2) my city is cold for 7 months out of the year; hence, cooling is free most of the year.
3) where I live, the humidity is quite low; hence, I can use cheap evaporated cooling instead of air conditioning
4) we have low tax here; hence, I will have lower import tax for antminers coming from China

Lets assume that a S11 antminer is $2500 and that I can earn average $15/day => 167 days for breakeven

S9 antminer is $1500 and that I can earn average $8/day => 188 days

BTW, I really appreciated your comments on GPUs mining, I am currently mining with a couple of dozen GPUs. I am thinking of venturing into ASICs mining but am also worry about the collapse of the cryptocurrency market.
Activity: 1358
Merit: 834
October 31, 2017, 04:50:41 PM
No. If you had 10 Bitcoins I would recommend keeping some (depending on how much money you want to have at least by 2020) and investing the rest in ~5 strong altcoins.

Now, if you had 100 Bitcoins you could start thinking about mining.

BTCMILLIONAIRE,

Regarding 100 Bitcoins, are you talking about economy of scale i.e  I can get better pricing on equipment and bigger facility?

Here is what I don't understand. According to this website, I can get a S9 Antminer with payback period of 137days - https://www.cryptocompare.com/mining/bitmain/antminer-s9-miner/. Let's assume the worse case and that the difficulty goes up 2X; hence, I will get my money back in 274 days. After one year, I should have a bit more bitcoin than when I started out assuming no equipment break down, cheap electricity, and etc. In the second year, I should have more bitcoin plus free equipment working for me. Am i missing something?

If, I hold bitcoin, I would have the same number of bitcoin regardless of time.

You aren't missing a thing at all. No reason to mine. Buy Bitcoin and sit on it. Nothing to see here at all, move along. LOL

Oh man, these people who just want to be day traders and say there is more in it to sit on it and invest/trade crack me the fuck up!

You are right man, get your s9 if elec is under .10 and run the shit out of them. I do have a strong feeling new equipment is coming. VERY SOON. But even then, a s9 will make its BTC back given time. Hell I still have s7's up that make a marginal profit!!!!

Scrap'
I don't trade. Trading is pointless since it triggers taxes at every flip. If you choose to evade taxes you will never be able to use profits, and if you pay taxes it won't be worth your time compared to reaching the relevant holding periods for tax exemptions. But nonetheless, mining is worse than just buying and holding.
If you're extremely risk averse then sure, go ahead and mine. But in that case there are better assets on the stock market.
Mining is one of the best source of bitcoin and this method is not worst if you have good hardware and can produce good akount of bitcoin everyday which can cover up the tax and electricity rate with excess amount as your income i think much better to buy L3+ antminer and continue to mine bitcoin for your future.
Activity: 252
Merit: 100
October 31, 2017, 08:21:59 AM
If your electricity is cheap then invest on mining. But if not, I think you just hold it for investment. This is because mining has now become more competitive and you need to have an advantage of cheap source of electricity nowadays to be ahead.

And if you just hold it, alot of analyst sees the price of Bitcoin going up to 7000$ by the end of 2017 or early quarter of 2018.
October 31, 2017, 12:33:56 AM

You are right man, get your s9 if elec is under .10 and run the shit out of them. I do have a strong feeling new equipment is coming. VERY SOON. But even then, a s9 will make its BTC back given time. Hell I still have s7's up that make a marginal profit!!!!

Scrap'

Scrap,

I agree with you regarding new equipment coming out soon. I suspect in 6 to 9 months.

Here is my plan, let me know your thoughts. Wait 6 to 9 month for new S11 Antminer equipment and buy the first batch. Plan A - resell them at a premium. Plan B - if I can not liquidate them, then I can mine with them. The new equipment should be faster and more energy efficient. In 6 to 9 months, I should be able to save up 2-3 bitcoins. So it is a waiting game now. 
Activity: 532
Merit: 280
October 31, 2017, 12:31:00 AM
No. If you had 10 Bitcoins I would recommend keeping some (depending on how much money you want to have at least by 2020) and investing the rest in ~5 strong altcoins.

BTCMILLIONAIRE,

Regarding 100 Bitcoins, are you talking about economy of scale i.e  I can get better pricing on equipment and bigger facility?

Here is what I don't understand. According to this website, I can get a S9 Antminer with payback period of 137days - https://www.cryptocompare.com/mining/bitmain/antminer-s9-miner/. Let's assume the worse case and that the difficulty goes up 2X; hence, I will get my money back in 274 days. After one year, I should have a bit more bitcoin than when I started out assuming no equipment break down, cheap electricity, and etc. In the second year, I should have more bitcoin plus free equipment working for me. Am i missing something?

You aren't missing a thing at all. No reason to mine. Buy Bitcoin and sit on it. Nothing to see here at all, move along. LOL

Oh man, these people who just want to be day traders and say there is more in it to sit on it and invest/trade crack me the fuck up!

Scrap'
I don't trade. Trading is pointless since it triggers taxes at every flip. If you choose to evade taxes you will never be able to use profits, and if you pay taxes it won't be worth your time compared to reaching the relevant holding periods for tax exemptions. But nonetheless, mining is worse than just buying and holding.
If you're extremely risk averse then sure, go ahead and mine. But in that case there are better assets on the stock market.
Mining is one of the best source of bitcoin and this method is not worst if you have good hardware and can produce good akount of bitcoin everyday which can cover up the tax and electricity rate with excess amount as your income i think much better to buy L3+ antminer and continue to mine bitcoin for your future.
Activity: 7
October 30, 2017, 04:04:26 PM
eu investiria em moedas que podem crescer muito futuramente
October 30, 2017, 09:22:03 AM

BTCMILLIONAIRE,

Scrap'
October 30, 2017, 09:20:29 AM

BTCMILLIONAIRE,

Regarding 100 Bitcoins, are you talking about economy of scale i.e  I can get better pricing on equipment and bigger facility?

You can factor in economics of scale, but that's not the main point that I'm trying to make.

It's simply not worth it to invest into mining hardware (especially ASICs) for small scale operations due to the low profits. The calculator that you've found only gives you a "ROI" at current prices and current difficulty levels, but this changes against you over time. So in reality you will need longer than 137 days to make your investment back. And that also differs depending on your individual electricity cost. Since the vast majority of mining happens through corporate scale mining operations, the returns get dropped down to a point where they are just barely over the running costs of the operation, which means that profits are incredibly small to none per unit.
Now, if the Bitcoin prices were to rise significantly a lot of additional mining power will be dedicated to it very quickly. This will make it even more difficult for your farm to generate returns.

If you just kept the Bitcoin however, you wouldn't have any of these issues and would end up profiting more. You won't have an ASIC to sell in the case that things go south, but if they do, you won't be able to easily resell your ASIC anyways. Hence, if things go bad for Bitcoin you will lose more money by buying a miner, and if things go well you will earn less by mining.

Bitcoin mining is simply oversaturated and not worth it anymore.

GPU mining on the other hand is still more accessible. Especially if you consider how easily you can resell GPUs to gamers even if the crypto market dies. But even here the same problems exist in terms of profitability. If you want to make more profits, it's best to just stay invested and wait, even if it's boring and a game of patience. Once you've accumulated a significant amount of wealth through your investments (or your job) though, you can consider putting a bulk of your money into GPU mining to secure your money. If the crypto market goes south you will still be able to resell your GPUs in that case, which will lower your losses or even keep you in profits depending on how much money you put where. But for small amounts of money this is just simply a waste of time, stay invested and you'll make several times more than by mining. Mining (with GPUs) is only worth it for the additional security, not for making money.
Activity: 378
Merit: 10
October 30, 2017, 04:11:33 AM
Congratulations bro, what you have in your hand is worth a fortune though but some steps are advisable. What you have will go in no time if you want to start mining due to miners' charges. It is advisable to invest the 1 bitcoin and roll it over until it gets to 10 bitcoin and then you can begin mining to multiply it. Goodluck friend.
Activity: 686
October 30, 2017, 04:01:16 AM

BTCMILLIONAIRE,

Regarding 100 Bitcoins, are you talking about economy of scale i.e  I can get better pricing on equipment and bigger facility?

Scrap'
October 30, 2017, 12:55:00 AM

BTCMILLIONAIRE,

October 29, 2017, 01:38:13 PM
Buy antminer s9 8 pieces then mine it.. For sure btc will never stop to rise
Waste of money, especially if his electricity is expensive. Better off keeping the coin.
that's a question and maybe splitting between mining and trading would be also quite good, we knew that mining an be profitable in the long run while
trading can be both short and long term investment, just needed to consider things that can give us much better profits and never stop looking for
much way to grow your bitcoin.
Mining will always underperform investing and trading though, because it's way too big a market for a tiny fish to be able to compete. That's why there's no point in mining unless you have hundreds of thousands of extra money that you want to preserve. If you want to do it for the experience, that's fine, but from a financial point of view it's a bad move right now.
Activity: 644
October 29, 2017, 01:35:06 PM
Waste of money, especially if his electricity is expensive. Better off keeping the coin.
that's a question and maybe splitting between mining and trading would be also quite good, we knew that mining an be profitable in the long run while
trading can be both short and long term investment, just needed to consider things that can give us much better profits and never stop looking for
much way to grow your bitcoin.
Activity: 294
Merit: 104
✪ NEXCHANGE | BTC, LTC, ETH & DOGE ✪
October 29, 2017, 01:25:03 PM
Say I have one bitcoin today. What should I do with it? Should I get four S9 antminers or three L3+ antminers or combination of them.

Are are some smart options to grow this one bitcoin?
- buy equipment & mine (i have cheap electricity)
- buy equipment and have Hashnet host them
- hodl
- invest in LTC instead of BTC

What would you do?

Holding it is the best option.
October 29, 2017, 11:48:04 AM

Forget mining with only that amount even you have cheap electricity there.

My recommendations will be:
-Buy a good personal computer or laptop
-Learn how to work on crypto related activities. It's worth it!
-Maximized your knowledge by studying profitable ways to give you decent earning in the long run
-circulate that 1 bitcoin on reputable trading platform
-diversify 1 bitcoin in some of the alts (choosing will be based based on your analyzation)

Work for bitcoin and not just rely on mining if the capital is not that much. Mining is a not joke and it needs more dedication on what you currently have right now. Patience and effort will be paid off soon. Just be serious. Goodluck.

Thanks for your input. BTW, if I had 10 bitcoins would you recommend mining then?

Activity: 1
October 29, 2017, 03:47:14 AM
dont invest in miners, difficulty increase and ur out of profit, just invest in btc 3x increase in 3-4 months
October 29, 2017, 02:42:53 AM

Forget mining with only that amount even you have cheap electricity there.

My recommendations will be:
-Buy a good personal computer or laptop
-Learn how to work on crypto related activities. It's worth it!
-Maximized your knowledge by studying profitable ways to give you decent earning in the long run
-circulate that 1 bitcoin on reputable trading platform
-diversify 1 bitcoin in some of the alts (choosing will be based based on your analyzation)

Work for bitcoin and not just rely on mining if the capital is not that much. Mining is a not joke and it needs more dedication on what you currently have right now. Patience and effort will be paid off soon. Just be serious. Goodluck.

Thanks for your input. BTW, if I had 10 bitcoins would you recommend mining then?
October 28, 2017, 08:51:52 AM
Activity: 84
Merit: 10
October 28, 2017, 08:50:32 AM
Pages:
Jump to: