Pages:
Author

Topic: What wallet should i use? - page 4. (Read 2404 times)

legendary
Activity: 3542
Merit: 1352
Cashback 15%
August 04, 2015, 03:55:52 PM
So i recently saw a bug with blockchain.info  and im a newbie on bitcoin wallets so i decided to move my wallet from there. I would like to use a wallet that is safe and that can be recovered in case of loosing it or something like that. Any suggestions what should i use?

Edit: is multibit a good alternative? and if yes how can the wallet be recovered on it in case of an emergency?

Personally I would use Electrum. Been using it for almost a year now and so far I haven't encountered any bugs, not to mention it is very newbie-friendly (at least for me.)

Btw, what kind of "emergency" are we talking about here?
Activity: 108
Merit: 10
August 04, 2015, 03:55:45 PM
My vote is for using paper wallets. Only use coinbase for a little spending money, and think about the paper wallets as a savings account.
Activity: 238
Merit: 100
★YoBit.Net★ 200+ Coins Exchange & Dice
August 04, 2015, 03:55:00 PM
also i forgot to mention that im not sure if my pc is free of viruses, is it safe to use multibit or electrum then? cant wallet files get stolen?

Then blockchain.info won't be much or any more secure than those options if you access it with your computer.
so as far as i understood i should use electrum yes?
legendary
Activity: 2590
Merit: 3014
Welt Am Draht
August 04, 2015, 03:53:33 PM
also i forgot to mention that im not sure if my pc is free of viruses, is it safe to use multibit or electrum then? cant wallet files get stolen?

Then blockchain.info won't be much or any more secure than those options if you access it with your computer.
August 04, 2015, 03:51:42 PM
Activity: 644
Merit: 500
My goal is becaming a billionaire.
August 04, 2015, 03:49:49 PM
So i recently saw a bug with blockchain.info  and im a newbie on bitcoin wallets so i decided to move my wallet from there. I would like to use a wallet that is safe and that can be recovered in case of loosing it or something like that. Any suggestions what should i use?

Edit: is multibit a good alternative? and if yes how can the wallet be recovered on it in case of an emergency?

If there is something you could learn on bitcoin then ti's that you should never store your money in an exchange for a long (look happened on MtGox) and online wallets because if they got hacked , you get hacked , if you get hacked your coins are lost for ever and there is no way to restore them .
Multibit HD does that , there is a seed a backup file you could use to get your coins back . I'd suggest Electrum which gives you a seed too , just write the seed on a piece of paper and hide it somewhere . you should be fine
August 04, 2015, 03:46:57 PM

I think it mostly depends on the amount you intend to keep in a wallet. Web wallets should be considered 'hot', holding just enough for what you need to use daily (check out Coinbase). Mobile wallets are also considered hot (check out Bitcoin Wallet on Android, Breadwallet on iOS or Mycelium). Any considerable amount of coins should be stored in a 'cold' wallet - one without access to the internet (check out Paper Wallets, Hardware Wallets or specialized software like Armory).
i checked out armory software though it says that i should store the cold wallet on a computer without internet access and i have only one pc... paper wallets are not ok for me as i can easily loose it and hardware wallets need buying stuff. also any ideas about multibit? is it also a hot wallet?
Activity: 910
Merit: 1000
August 04, 2015, 03:36:45 PM
So i recently saw a bug with blockchain.info  and im a newbie on bitcoin wallets so i decided to move my wallet from there. I would like to use a wallet that is safe and that can be recovered in case of loosing it or something like that. Any suggestions what should i use?

I think it mostly depends on the amount you intend to keep in a wallet. Web wallets should be considered 'hot', holding just enough for what you need to use daily (check out Coinbase). Mobile wallets are also considered hot (check out Bitcoin Wallet on Android, Breadwallet on iOS or Mycelium). Any considerable amount of coins should be stored in a 'cold' wallet - one without access to the internet (check out Paper Wallets, Hardware Wallets or specialized software like Armory).
August 04, 2015, 03:30:16 PM

Pages:
Jump to: