Pages:
Author

Topic: What was your feeling about KYC verification? Share your honest review. - page 2. (Read 483 times)

legendary
Activity: 1456
Merit: 5874
light_warrior ... 🕯️
Just want to know what was your feeling when you have seen forum asking for KYC verification? Let's share your honest review.
The discussion on this issue has escalated at least a week before April 1. Therefore, I am sure that users who remember at least last year’s fool were awaiting such news. I think this phrase definitely dispelled any doubts.
Additionally, you can get extra-verified by posting a selfie in this thread.

However, such 2FA listed in the roadmap of the Epochtalk forum, that has not been launched, and still been in the testing phase.
In addition to the usual types of authentication, the document "Central philosophy" also provided support for OpenID, PGP, OpenVPN, automatic creation of subnets + IP source verification and Bitcoin signature (so on).

It means KYC is the last one in the security hyerarchy, and it is an optional security method.
Someone who have demands to secure their account at the highest level, let's do their KYCs.
Talking about KYC would make sense if the administration would act as an intermediary in transactions between users. Moreover, the requested data clearly violates the user's right to privacy. In any case, this is not only unlikely, but also impossible. And for the current needs of this version of the forum, there are enough already implemented restrictions and security features.

As an alternative, a limit of merits has been added for new accounts. There are also restrictions for posting messages. (This happens when the user's IP address matches the temperature of all the subnets containing this IP address, the address is removed from the white list, a fixed fee automatically returns IP to the white list). Roll Eyes
Activity: 25
Merit: 0
Really i am very upset when show bitcointalk forum KYC required ......
legendary
Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965
Terminated.
Simple, I was packing my bags already.
legendary
Activity: 2632
Merit: 1094
I have been verified on many sites so it's not a problem but the main issue on bitcointalk is that the account can easily be hacked and another person can get hold of our details which is more dangerous. Plus it's a forum where KYC doesn't make sense as even KYC verified members can be scammers.
legendary
Activity: 2240
Merit: 3150
₿uy / $ell ..oeleo ;(
Every year the April fools' day surprises from theymos are getting better and better.
I wonder what will be the next year, should be something bigger somehow to overcome this year KYC event.
I'm sure he is clever enough to come again with brilliant idea.
legendary
Activity: 2128
Merit: 1775
Your question, trapping, every member is honest or not, @theymos, doesn't care about it, jokes, April is stupid.
I am sure that 20% are honest with KYC April 1, others are brutal.

KYC, basically is the principle that is applied to know the background and identity of a person.
KYC will usually request a scan of their user ID card along with other data to verify the validity of the user's identity.

You see the jokes that were applied to April 1 KYC.
1. Romantic couples of the past and present. Joke.
2. Your current coordinates are precisely detected as: directly register register number, Joke.
3. Name your first pet: Joke.
4. Please state all your crimes (at least 1): jokes
5. Gender: Helli computer, airplane, sex two, joke.

But there are also friends asking me about credit cards, so I made a topic: https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.50412290
But I answered it was a joke, like you put a flag on an ivory tower.
KYC, no need here,
Suppose: Forum needs KYC, from the first time you register for an account, your have requested KYC. stupid joke.
legendary
Activity: 4494
Merit: 3178
Vile Vixen and Miss Bitcointalk 2021-2023
Well, I certainly had fun with it. Grin Best April Fools' joke ever!
mk4
legendary
Activity: 2870
Merit: 3873
Paldo.io 🤖
My reaction was pretty much meh. Besides Theymos seeming to be against KYC, Theymos did a April Fools gag last year, so I thought Theymos would surely do another gag this year; not to mention there was a thread here in the Meta section about what April Fools gags/pranks would be funny to see.

Had a good laugh seeing people who actually posted their real-life photos on the KYC now required thread though. LOL
Activity: 2366
Merit: 838
Really? Did you get the theymos' thoughts that he is against forum KYCs?
admin was strongly against of KYC especially for forum
My feelings:
The latest April Fool stimulates my expectation on 2FA to secure account in the forum.
We have had other methods to secure account here, such as Staking bitcoin address. However, such 2FA listed in the roadmap of the Epochtalk forum, that has not been launched, and still been in the testing phase.
KYC only makes sense if it relates to 2FA. In my envision, the security steps in the forum (this one) or potentially coming Epochtalk should be:
- Password & registered email
- Staking bitcoin address
- 2FA
- KYC.
Four options to secure accounts, and three of four are the same as we have on exchanges.
Only the Staking bitcoin address is a unique option to secure account, totally different from exchanges.

It means KYC is the last one in the security hyerarchy, and it is an optional security method.
Someone who have demands to secure their account at the highest level, let's do their KYCs.
Someone who don't have such demands, they simply skip KYCs.

Some minus points are:
- The forum is not a company, so it should not be responsible for users KYC with valuable personal information.
- The forum, so far, is likely a community-driven forum with community-managed mechanisms like Trust system. Someone might argue that important decisions made by admin, it is right, but in general it is very closely to community-managed forum.
- If KYCs implemented, who will be responsible for such KYC verification works? Admin might need to hire lots of staffs to do this, and need both digital sources to store and secure those IDs.
- The forum, at start and by now, is non-profitable forum, hence it does not have reasons to get stucked with KYCs.

In a summary, I don't believe KYCs will be implemented, but 2FA will do be implemented.
legendary
Activity: 2282
Merit: 2196
Signature space for rent
Just want to know what was your feeling when you have seen forum asking for KYC verification? Let's share your honest review.

My review:
I was surprised when I have seen forum asking for KYC verification. I can't realized that it was April fool. I was wondering why forum asking for KYC since admin was strongly against of KYC especially for forum? Then instantly I have visited Meta section. I thought there should be announcement if need KYC. Once I read KYC thread then I realized that it was April fool Grin.

What was your feeling?
Pages:
Jump to: