Pages:
Author

Topic: What, why spam payments - page 2. (Read 2231 times)

legendary
Activity: 1120
Merit: 1001
September 30, 2014, 01:42:24 PM
I just recived myself 1 satoshi a few days ago !!!
I felt like the luckiest man on hear, free satoshi !!!
Activity: 137
Merit: 100
September 30, 2014, 01:39:09 PM
The online wallet service is coinbase. The first one sent had a 0.0003 fee. The second one that is still confirming has a .0004 fee. I dont get why anyone would do this and incur the fees. They also suggested that I change the address regularly but if I use it it's out there anyway. If it continues I'll change it.
Activity: 88
Merit: 12
September 30, 2014, 01:30:00 PM
What online wallet are you using? If the transaction really is a spam transaction then that online wallet should probably not even show it rather than cluttering up your transaction history with it.

Who knows why people decide to spam the network, I don't think it makes sense to most people, but it's pretty much just a fact that some people are going to try to spam any service that someone makes. Maybe the spammer just doesn't like bitcoin. Spamming isn't entirely bad, it provides some stress testing for when we actually will have that many legitimate transactions.

If you're interested, spamming is basically the reason bitcoin has fees at all. The thought is that if every transaction costs the sender something then there won't be any senders who can afford to send out thousands of transactions. See this page for more info on the fees: https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Transaction_fees. A quote from that page: "To prevent "penny-flooding" denial-of-service attacks on the network, the reference implementation caps the number of free transactions it will relay to other nodes to (by default) 15 thousand bytes per minute."
Activity: 137
Merit: 100
September 30, 2014, 12:55:17 PM
I received a payment in my online wallet for 1 satoshi. It has been confirming for days. It has 70 outputs listed each for 1 satoshi. I asked tech support what this was about and they said it was a spam payment, my security wasn't compromised and I should just ignore it. This is the second one of these I've received.
Why would anybody send these? Whats the point. Anybody know anything about spam payments?
Pages:
Jump to: