Pages:
Author

Topic: What will happen to all the "traditional" mines once the new ASIC based miners - page 2. (Read 6615 times)

Activity: 605
Merit: 500
legendary
Activity: 1666
Merit: 1057
Marketing manager - GO MP
so, market forces will just kill traditional GPU based mining pretty much overnight unless ASIC based is all just a scam?

There are many different ASIC development companies, it's implausible that all of them are scams. It's just a pretty straightforward but challenging process.

Interesting tell me more.
It may be just that.
legendary
Activity: 1792
Merit: 1047
If i'm mining with 150GH/s of ASICs, why would I both doubling my power consumption for a measly 700MH/s from my 7970? Even if I did have free electric, the heat isn't worth the pennies I'll make in a day.

Exactly. And as vitruvio pointed out, even with free power, running your GPU 24/7 at near max power (or even overclocked) is far from beneficial to the hardware. Don't burn out the hardware in your sexy gaming PC just for a few more MH/s!  Cheesy

I try to get the best Mh/s per watt that I can. So I run at

Max 6990 at 850 Mhz 150 Mhz  1.05v
Min  6990 at 775 Mhz 150 Mhz  1.05v

5970 at 700 Mhz   266 Mhz  0.968v

Max 5870 at 800 Mhz 266 Mhz  0.968v
Min 5870 at 775 Mhz 266 Mhz  0.9v

5830 at 700 Mhz   266 Mhz 0.968v
legendary
Activity: 1064
Merit: 1001
If i'm mining with 150GH/s of ASICs, why would I both doubling my power consumption for a measly 700MH/s from my 7970? Even if I did have free electric, the heat isn't worth the pennies I'll make in a day.

Exactly. And as vitruvio pointed out, even with free power, running your GPU 24/7 at near max power (or even overclocked) is far from beneficial to the hardware. Don't burn out the hardware in your sexy gaming PC just for a few more MH/s!  Cheesy
Activity: 850
Merit: 331
Many people claim to have free electricity, or is a gamer so won't stop his GPU.

Regards

I can't wait for ASICs so I can turn my gaming computer off!

I agree, I have only have one GPU and I've ordered a couple of jalapeños, when received I'll stop mining with my GPU, even with free electricity, PC components will suffer working 24/7, and will not be payed with so little profit.

Regards
Activity: 297
Merit: 250
I'm surprised not more people are using Coinlab to hedge their GPU mining.
legendary
Activity: 952
Merit: 1000
Many people claim to have free electricity, or is a gamer so won't stop his GPU.

Regards

I can't wait for ASICs so I can turn my gaming computer off!
Activity: 850
Merit: 331

Regards
Activity: 560
Merit: 256
What will happen to all the "traditional" mines once the new ASIC based miners hit the market?

This.

Quote from: Korbman
...it's quite probable most GPU mining will cease. There's no way even many of the top GPU rigs would be able to keep up with the power ASICs bring to the table.

I couldn't said it better myself.

lol @greyhawk ; nice find.
Activity: 826
Merit: 500
we will see a flood of ATI GPU`s on ebay for sale.

and a lot of bitcoiners will end up with a big paypal balance  Grin
legendary
Activity: 1064
Merit: 1001
so, market forces will just kill traditional GPU based mining pretty much overnight unless ASIC based is all just a scam?

Other than CoinLab or other similar mining pools, it's quite probable most GPU mining will cease. There's no way even many of the top GPU rigs would be able to keep up with the power ASICs bring to the table.
Activity: 938
Merit: 1002
I haven't seen that one before. Anyone had any luck using that pool? Seems like a neat idea to make some more money off my existing hardware.

I've been using it for some time now. It's a very big challenge, I hope they succeed.
legendary
Activity: 1484
Merit: 1005
Activity: 86
Merit: 10

There are many different ASIC development companies, it's implausible that all of them are scams. It's just a pretty straightforward but challenging process.

i really do feel for those that have invested into GPU based mines although i suspect their investment is already paid back if they got into it early enough

"if" is the key word. I suspect most mining operations have been a net loss, and it's probably a good indicator.

By the way, check out this thread. CoinLab is developing a platform that will rent your GPU for various tasks and pay you in BTC.

I haven't seen that one before. Anyone had any luck using that pool? Seems like a neat idea to make some more money off my existing hardware.

Activity: 938
Merit: 1002

i really do feel for those that have invested into GPU based mines although i suspect their investment is already paid back if they got into it early enough

"if" is the key word. I suspect most mining operations have been a net loss, and it's probably a good indicator.

By the way, check out this thread. CoinLab is developing a platform that will rent your GPU for various tasks and pay you in BTC.
Activity: 127
Merit: 100
lol @ greyhawk Smiley

Activity: 952
Merit: 1009
Activity: 127
Merit: 100
What will happen to all the "traditional" mines once the new ASIC based miners hit the market?

Apologies if there is already a thread on this but I searched and couldn't find it easily. I'm a slow reader Smiley

Pages:
Jump to: