Pages:
Author

Topic: What Will You Do To Recover Bitcoin? - page 6. (Read 767 times)

legendary
Activity: 2954
Merit: 2145
November 12, 2019, 04:58:21 AM
I was in a similar situation a few years ago, and I failed to recover the coins despite trying everything I could. I received some altcoins as a bonus for my work and forgot about them. Later during the 2017 bubble the price of those coins skyrocketed, and I tried to access them, but couldn't find the wallet file on my computer. I used hard drive recovery tools and found some wallet.dat file, but it was corrupt and couldn't be opened. Looking at hex dump, it looks like large parts of it were already overwritten by other data.

So, generally recovery will either be very easy if you have the right password and wallet, or effectively impossible.
Activity: 914
Merit: 299
November 12, 2019, 04:52:54 AM
In 2010, you came across a site that was giving away bitcoins. The site said it was free money so you signed up. You were logging in to figure out how it was money but couldn't. The last time you logged in you had more than 100 bitcoins. Later you forgot about the site until 2017 when a ponzi was advertising Bitcoin. Bitcoin? The name rang a bell and you stated hearing stories. You remembered you must have many bitcoins  somewhere but you can't even remember the name of the site. How would you recover your BTC?

Well, chances are that after all these years the bitcoins on the faucet or whatever site you were using are totally lost. Either the site has closed all they will have seized your BTC due to inactivity or some other stupid excuse Wink

However in the off chance the site is still active and still holds your btc you may want to do a search for "bitcoin", "faucet" or something similar in your email and check what pops up in 2010 and later. Hopefully you will still have your registration email and you will find the name of the site you are looking for! They will probably have a "forgot your password" option which you can use to recover your pass...
legendary
Activity: 2030
Merit: 2174
Professional Community manager
November 12, 2019, 04:52:24 AM
If the story is a real account of a situation and the person has not yet gotten the website name after 2 years then they'll need to take other measures. Try scanning the device you were using back then. If by chance you still have it. It's possible to get the websites that we're opened that far back, hopefully the website has a forgotten password recovery process and uou remember your email you registered with.
As others have said, the chances of the bitcoins being there, or the website being active is near impossible, and if you left the Bitcoin on their web wallet, it's as good as gone
Activity: 2226
Merit: 347
November 12, 2019, 04:44:03 AM
There is no way you can recover it. First it was stored in the websites wallet and second they are in full control with your funds. Most probably they are already shut down and took all what you have earned before. That's the price you paid for disregarding the future use of btc. Best thing to do is to forget about it. If you happened to store it in an offline wallet then It's supposed to be possible to recover it.
legendary
Activity: 3668
Merit: 6382
Looking for campaign manager? Contact icopress!
November 12, 2019, 04:39:54 AM
"Not your keys, not your coins". Unless you (installed a software and) made a wallet and received a private key (or a wallet file) I'd stop dreaming. Most probably that site doesn't exist anymore or has change and would not allow you withdraw.
Activity: 1190
Merit: 315
#SWGT PRE-SALE IS LIVE
November 12, 2019, 04:36:40 AM
In 2010, you came across a site that was giving away bitcoins. The site said it was free money so you signed up. You were logging in to figure out how it was money but couldn't. The last time you logged in you had more than 100 bitcoins. Later you forgot about the site until 2017 when a ponzi was advertising Bitcoin. Bitcoin? The name rang a bell and you stated hearing stories. You remembered you must have many bitcoins  somewhere but you can't even remember the name of the site. How would you recover your BTC?
As long as you remember the site and your user/password, you will recover it.
However, there is no guarantee that your bitcoin is still there waiting for you. There are times that social networking websites will defunct and if that happens, even if you remember the website, your bitcoins will no longer be able to withdraw.
Activity: 291
Merit: 19
If there's something to be written...
November 12, 2019, 04:26:43 AM
Pages:
Jump to: