Pages:
Author

Topic: What will you do when the gold rush ends? - page 2. (Read 2202 times)

Activity: 6
Merit: 0
The market should have already priced in all future increases in difficulty and decreases in rewards.
Activity: 98
Merit: 10
It's a little more complex than that.

First off, there will not suddenly be half as many Bitcoins available. There will simply be fewer bitcoins being made. If demand for Bitcoins continues to increase at the same rate as it does now (that is, the Bitcoin market keeps growing), but production is slowing down, then we will see an increase in the value of Bitcoins.

This is called deflation; the total value of trade with Bitcoins increases faster than the number of Bitcoins, and the value of a Bitcoin goes up.

So, assuming Bitcoin continues to grow, that 25BTC will eventually be worth more Dollars/Euros/Labor than it is now, which will increase the incentive to keep mining.

If I'm thinking straight, the value of a bitcoin is basically based off of this equation:

Value=Trade Value/Units of Currency (or, using variables I just made up, V=T/U)

So, if U increases slowly (low ∆U, e.g. the BTC created per block is only 25 instead of 50) and T increases quickly (high ∆T), then V will go up. The thing is, both T and U are already rather large, so any changes in ∆T or ∆U will take a while to have a significant effect on V.

This is made much more complex by speculation and other factors, but this is the basic idea.
Activity: 119
If my economy classes taught me well, you're likely to see a rapid increase in BTC prices just before the block payout decrease. When supply goes down, demand will increase. Both speculators and hoarders are likely to buy large quantities
Activity: 45
I do think a shit ton of miners will stop mining and sell all their stuff on eBay.

But the price ?

at first it will be over priced like ebay usually is, then after a few months of holding stuff they don't want to anymore they will start selling it for more reasonable prices.

no i mean the price of bitcoin
Activity: 90
I do think a shit ton of miners will stop mining and sell all their stuff on eBay.

But the price ?

at first it will be over priced like ebay usually is, then after a few months of holding stuff they don't want to anymore they will start selling it for more reasonable prices.
Activity: 45

But the price ?
legendary
Activity: 873
Merit: 1000
The law of supply and demand.

When the amount of coins halves the price will _____.

the upcoming drop in the daily mining production is already something well known and speculators are probably pricing that in already.

what isn't known is how many more people will be using bitcoin for payments a year from now.  that will have a much much bigger impact on the demand for bitcoins at some point than the what the amount produced by mining has.
Activity: 588
Merit: 500
Hero VIP ultra official trusted super staff puppet
The law of supply and demand.

When the amount of coins halves the price will _____.

Fill in the blank.
legendary
Activity: 873
Merit: 1000

it all depends on the price and when.  if we end up with a $10 exchange rate, that would support the exact same amount of mining at 25 btc as we have today trading at $5 with 50 btc  -- all assuming the difficulty remains at this level. 

the wildcard is fpgas.  they could make the difficulty rate go up without the price going up.
Activity: 84
FPGA convert
legendary
Activity: 1904
Merit: 1002
just a guess here but when you limit supply demand goes up so in theory once the count
goes down to 25 price should increase possibly up to 2x the current amount.
then again the market can be a strange thing.

Except it is well known, so the market will price it in well before it actually happens.  You won't see a "halving day" gap up.
FPGA convert
I hope you are right.  I have a feeling something along those lines will happen as well... but i what do i know lol
Activity: 42
just a guess here but when you limit supply demand goes up so in theory once the count
goes down to 25 price should increase possibly up to 2x the current amount.
then again the market can be a strange thing.
FPGA convert
And blocks become 25 coins per, instead of 50.

What do you think will happen?  Will you stop mining?  Do you think the value will go up?  I am curious what you guys think.

Discuss.
Pages:
Jump to: