Pages:
Author

Topic: what would an alt market independent from bitcoin look like? - page 2. (Read 240 times)

legendary
Activity: 1288
Merit: 1087
but i am doubtful because people trade altcoins mostly because they want some place where they can invest their bitcoins not their fiat. and the alt/fiat markets have not had as much demand.

i'd love to know the proportion of traders who are in it to make bitcoin gains versus fiat gains. there must be a class of altcoiner at this point who've never touched bitcoin and have no plans to.

but as you say there's no such thing as a legit bitcoin interest option so playing with alts is the next option in many eyes to attempt to get a return.
Activity: 154
Merit: 0
Its an interesting concept and one that I would like to see happen. I think at the very least it would go some way to negate volatility and maybe a situation like what has happened this Jan/Feb/March would be less severe.
I still think BTC pairings will be most popular because many people hold and invest bitcoin and its easier to go from BTC>ALT than from BTC>FIAT>ALT with less fees also. FIAT/ALT pairing will only potentially effect new money entering the market and make it more fluid and simplified.
Activity: 144
Merit: 19
i've seen some talk of binance adding fiat pairs once they're settled in malta, though binance themselves seem to be denying it. you also have bittrex looking into dollars for corporate customers and i expect poloniex may do something with fiat when circle get their act together.

by that point there'll pretty much be no need to use bitcoin as a gateway to any other coin.

so would that make a fundamental change in how the markets interact or do you reckon they'll all still live and die together?

I think if that ever happens then BTC will for sure become less volatile. Miners would prefer to convert their daily proceeds straight to fiat, new altcoin investors will purchase alts of their for fiat, too. However, BTC will still remain an equivalent of gold in crypto  world.
Activity: 546
Merit: 100
Crypto places the bitco in the leading position to become the most known of the money market. Although the spread of ethereum-based tokens poses a prospective risk for BTC, it is difficult to think of a crypto money market without Bitcoin in the current market conditions.
Activity: 280
Merit: 10
Perhaps it will have an effect in the future. This year, it will not have any strong impact on the dependence on bitcoin.
Activity: 1456
Merit: 579
HODLing is an art, not just a word...
if and only if people use these markets and actually trade altcoins with fiat instead of bitcoin then we may start seeing less volatility in bitcoin specially during mass altcoin dumps where people sell their altcoins for bitcoin then sell bitcoin for fiat and crash everything!

but i am doubtful because people trade altcoins mostly because they want some place where they can invest their bitcoins not their fiat. and the alt/fiat markets have not had as much demand.

so would that make a fundamental change in how the markets interact or do you reckon they'll all still live and die together?

any effect that it may or may not have will be only affecting part of the market not all of it so they will continue "to live and die together" like before.
legendary
Activity: 1288
Merit: 1087
i've seen some talk of binance adding fiat pairs once they're settled in malta, though binance themselves seem to be denying it. you also have bittrex looking into dollars for corporate customers and i expect poloniex may do something with fiat when circle get their act together.

by that point there'll pretty much be no need to use bitcoin as a gateway to any other coin.

Pages:
Jump to: