Pages:
Author

Topic: What would education be like in a society where work was optional? - page 2. (Read 448 times)

Activity: 112
Merit: 2
Advancements in AI and the gradual digitization of society could one day lead to a world where earning a living is inessential to living a decent life.
Why would "earning a living" be not essential to living a decent life because of AI?
I am wondering what’s going to happen when due to so many tech advancement humans are no longer needed to work at all since robots are doing the jobs we are currently doing and doing it even way better. How will people survive without jobs since that’s what give us our livelihood.
People have been inventing stuff throughout the century that other people think would replace them. The great thing about humans is that we adapt. We find new things to do better than the machine. We have imagination. They do not. We have creativity. They do not. They are just machines. Even though some people are trying to make robots create "art". It's not really art when there is no imagination or passion behind it.
Activity: 350
Merit: 41
Advancements in AI and the gradual digitization of society could one day lead to a world where earning a living is inessential to living a decent life.

Not sure I agree with this statement, the key word being 'decent'. The growing disparity of wealth throughout the world is an indication of things to come, and the gap will only grow wider as the expected advancements eat up the the jobs that are maintaining those at the 'bottom of the food chain'. Take away the opportunity for them to earn money, and you pass responsibility to feed their families to those higher up the chain, ultimately putting them at their mercy. Education, as mentioned, is of course important, but will do very little to genuinely benefit the majority - at least on a financial level. There is some truth that everyone has a creative streak in them, and maybe with significantly more time to spend on being creative, it could benefit society (overall) in that way. Just concerned that there would be far too many left relying on other's generosity, which - historically - doesn't normally end well. 
legendary
Activity: 1666
Merit: 1285
Flying Hellfish is a Commie
As history shows us in during FDR’s WPA programs of during the American Great Depression, governments are tasked with ensuring their people have jobs.  If most jobs are allowed to become automated in countries like China, Bangladesh, Vietnam, and even Turkey, then who will feed, clothe and house the masses?  Stephen Hawking said in 2016 that automation along with other factors put many populations at "the most dangerous moment in the development of humanity."  However, there are many bright spots.  According to an August 23 2018 Forbes article by Sameer Maskey,  AI can be leveraged by businesses and NGOs and governments in the areas of emergency response (earthquakes & typhoons), agriculture, medicine delivery, education, and, of course, jobs. 

Then again, it is really good policy to let the government employ everyone? It seems like an expensive alternative to the free market -- which just messes with the market price on the wages of people (as government typically provides OK PAY, good benefits, stable job, etc)

I don't think Automation is as crazy of a sight as some people think it is. I do think some people will lose jobs, though the jobs will shift to other fields.
Activity: 31
Merit: 1
As history shows us in during FDR’s WPA programs of during the American Great Depression, governments are tasked with ensuring their people have jobs.  If most jobs are allowed to become automated in countries like China, Bangladesh, Vietnam, and even Turkey, then who will feed, clothe and house the masses?  Stephen Hawking said in 2016 that automation along with other factors put many populations at "the most dangerous moment in the development of humanity."  However, there are many bright spots.  According to an August 23 2018 Forbes article by Sameer Maskey,  AI can be leveraged by businesses and NGOs and governments in the areas of emergency response (earthquakes & typhoons), agriculture, medicine delivery, education, and, of course, jobs. 
Activity: 952
Merit: 175
@cryptocommies
education will be more customized and automated itself.  people will be able to learn about whatever they want to be great at. literally freedom.  It will mostly be art and technology.  Of course I read the premise of the thread to be after the world has gone fully communist.  Its far into the future unfortunately.
legendary
Activity: 1666
Merit: 1285
Flying Hellfish is a Commie
I mean it'd probably be the same as it is now, as education doesn't teach you jack shit about the working world -- so yeah. I'm not seeing any drastic changes (minus the removal of business fields, such as BUSINESS in general)

But I can't see this being a real thing, as theres no way a functioning society has NO ONE WORKING in the least.

Though yet again, I do guess that work is really optional -- but you just won't get to live as nicely as the ones who to live and thrive.
legendary
Activity: 2058
Merit: 1270
Play Poker on Telegram
There happens to be a big difference between education and work, education is a process of acquiring knowledge,and this knowledge can be put into practice in diverse aspects of life,one can graduate as a lawyer and up working as a clerk,but by education he's a lawyer,but based on workforce he's a clerk..And come to think about it even at this very time when the world is not totally digital work is still optional,the 👮 cops don't knock on your door in the morning to make sure you're off to work

Talking about technological advancements,it will all be a farce without education,Robots itself are built by highly technical engineers and more and more students are groomed up daily to follow the same line,i think technological advancement would improve the standard of education as the task/requirements would become even more difficult/stiffer..

I also do not think there will ever be a time when half of the population wouldn't have to work,Robots do not go about giving money to people,do they
Activity: 868
Merit: 266
Why would "earning a living" be not essential to living a decent life because of AI?
I am wondering what’s going to happen when due to so many tech advancement humans are no longer needed to work at all since robots are doing the jobs we are currently doing and doing it even way better. How will people survive without jobs since that’s what give us our livelihood.
legendary
Activity: 2296
Merit: 1335
Don't let others control your BTC -> self custody
Posters above me are right about education. It will still be preparing us for work even in a world where robots are dominating in every aspect of our lives.
Think about it for a moment. Somebody has to design and maintain these machines. They will never be able to upgrade themselves and we shouldn't allow them to be able to produce the upgrades of their choosing. You don't want to one day face armed police robots able to blow up half of the city with their heavy weapons. So, there will always be jobs available for people in robotics and since the demands for robots will be high, so will be the demand for their designers and programmers.
We will be provided the basics so that nobody will starve or be homeless, but if you choose to have more, you will have to work.
Activity: 98
Merit: 2
I also don't see any correlation between tech advancement and earning one's living.
Developed AI and robotization will not make everything free in an instant, mostly they will just decrease the amount of manual labor workplaces. This is the difference, although not because we won't have to earn money - with the decline of manual labor, people will have to focus on other aspects, for example arts and entertainment. In this case education will follow the trend.
Activity: 140
Merit: 5
Activity: 105
Merit: 4

Most education systems are designed to prepare people for the work force, because it's hard to survive in this world without being great at following directions, writing, and understanding some other complexities.

I think creativity and art will become the greatest mental assets in a society of easy abundance. If the majority of the population won't have to work, they'll have to be capable of keeping themselves fulfilled and occupied in other ways.

How do you think the approach to education will adapt to AI and other revolutionary technologies?
Pages:
Jump to: