Pages:
Author

Topic: What would happen if suddenly a revolutionary mining technology was found? - page 2. (Read 1645 times)

legendary
Activity: 3542
Merit: 1352
Cashback 15%
Another algorithm would require a fork, and it's unlikely it will be adopted (Scrypt and many others came, and Bitcoin did not switch)

As for newer tech, that's been happening from time to time: bigger and better ASIC's

As I said, I am not a math or algorythm expert but... It is not possible to find another way to calculate the hashes that cuts the process short?

I have also heard that Scrypt/Litecoin was designed to be ASIC resistant but failed. Could not something similar happen to Bitcoin in such a long timespan as 100+ years?

There is none, and bitcoin was designed to be harder to mine as more and more powerful hardware come. More and more hashing power = more difficulty = harder to mine bitcoins.
legendary
Activity: 1946
Merit: 1007
This is something I have been thinking at times. What would happen if suddenly someone came up with a new algorythm/technology that could mine Bitcoin much faster? I see all those predictions about mining ending by 2100 ... but Isn't it possible that some new miner comes up raising the mining speed a lot?

No idea about it, just asking  Roll Eyes

That's why there is difficulty readjustments. Every 2 weeks the avarage blocktime is determined and corrected back to 10 minutes by increasing the difficulty of the hashes.

A revolutionary miner would result in a giant leap in difficulty.
Activity: 770
Merit: 500
✪ NEXCHANGE | BTC, LTC, ETH & DOGE ✪
Another algorithm would require a fork, and it's unlikely it will be adopted (Scrypt and many others came, and Bitcoin did not switch)

As for newer tech, that's been happening from time to time: bigger and better ASIC's

As I said, I am not a math or algorythm expert but... It is not possible to find another way to calculate the hashes that cuts the process short?

I have also heard that Scrypt/Litecoin was designed to be ASIC resistant but failed. Could not something similar happen to Bitcoin in such a long timespan as 100+ years?

legendary
Activity: 1512
Merit: 1009

Activity: 770
Merit: 500
✪ NEXCHANGE | BTC, LTC, ETH & DOGE ✪
This is something I have been thinking at times. What would happen if suddenly someone came up with a new algorythm/technology that could mine Bitcoin much faster? I see all those predictions about mining ending by 2100 ... but Isn't it possible that some new miner comes up raising the mining speed a lot?

No idea about it, just asking  Roll Eyes
Pages:
Jump to: