Pages:
Author

Topic: What would it take for you to lose faith in Bitcoin? - page 2. (Read 4011 times)

legendary
Activity: 1680
Merit: 1035
If no market for bitcoins develops, would you lose faith?  Say the market for bitcoins continues to exist in its current state where there are limited products/services you can buy?

If all that Bitcoin ever has is a healthy exchange market, it will still work as a store of value similar to gold, and will still be ok. Even speculation by itself, in something that retains value and can be easily traded, has "intrinsic" value.
legendary
Activity: 1050
Merit: 1000
You are WRONG!
if/when a hacker finds and exploits a flaw in the scripting that does he can empty all accounts. Sad
its done before, but not exploited.
legendary
Activity: 966
Merit: 1009
When I am the last node remaining.
This
legendary
Activity: 1050
Merit: 1000
if BTC Economist takes huge share of all existing Bitcoins
Activity: 42
Merit: 1
I have no faith in it to begin with.

I think it could still work as a currency, and I guess to an extent I'm grateful to the people investing in it for giving it an actual "value" people can put on it, but at the end of the day until a functioning economy is born from it that's any significant percentage of the amounts changing hands, it's all just meaningless.

As far as "faith" goes, "faith" to me implies the type of investor who thinks they can just grab a whole fuckton of them while they're cheap, and that they'll somehow magically gain value all on their own without anyone building anything from it. If you came to this conclusion on your own, you're a fool, and if you came to this conclusion because someone else implied it then you got swindled.

I agree with the first part; faith on my part will only exist when there is an actual economy that works in practice. Before then a number of occurences could happen that would render an actual working economy impossible, of which protocol failure and legal problems (which would target the exchanges) are two occurences that spring to mind. "The abolishment of the Federal Reserve and a return to a gold backed dollar" is a wet dream, but not even in a parallel universe is it a possibility.
Activity: 809
Merit: 501
Always verify deals with me through my public key!
When they pry the bits from my cold dead hands!
Activity: 69
Merit: 10
Kupo!
When the congressman and lawmakers at any party who opposes bitcoins without knowing it's white-papers still standing in the next election  Cool
Activity: 56
Merit: 0
I think bitcoins represent a major turning point in economic development.  If bitcoin fails it will be because humans are worthless, not because bitcoins are.
[/quote

thats my favourite so far
Activity: 350
Merit: 250
Activity: 672
Merit: 258
https://cryptassist.io
I think bitcoins represent a major turning point in economic development.  If bitcoin fails it will be because humans are worthless, not because bitcoins are.
Activity: 112
If no market for bitcoins develops, would you lose faith?  Say the market for bitcoins continues to exist in its current state where there are limited products/services you can buy?
That would be a failure of the bitcoin movement to convince the general public, not a failure of bitcoin specifically.

The question is not whether the technology will fail. 
Activity: 70
That would be a failure of the bitcoin movement to convince the general public, not a failure of bitcoin specifically.
Activity: 22
tradehill database got compromised.
Activity: 112
legendary
Activity: 1680
Merit: 1035
Actual bitcoin getting hacked without possibility of the hack being patch. Stuff like encryption or protocol problems that allows creating of free bitcoins or stealing other people's coins.
Activity: 70
Scalability problems - having to wait weeks/months for any confirmations.
Activity: 350
Bitcoin protocol failure. - Counterfeiting,  double spending, bitcoin address match, or in another words - way to find right pairs to public key`s
That kind of stuff.
Activity: 140
Merit: 100
Nothing. Wait, the Rapture? Yes, the Rapture. I would be forced to put my faith elsewhere.
Activity: 308
I have no faith in it to begin with.

I think it could still work as a currency, and I guess to an extent I'm grateful to the people investing in it for giving it an actual "value" people can put on it, but at the end of the day until a functioning economy is born from it that's any significant percentage of the amounts changing hands, it's all just meaningless.

As far as "faith" goes, "faith" to me implies the type of investor who thinks they can just grab a whole fuckton of them while they're cheap, and that they'll somehow magically gain value all on their own without anyone building anything from it. If you came to this conclusion on your own, you're a fool, and if you came to this conclusion because someone else implied it then you got swindled.
Activity: 56
Is there anything that would make you lose faith?

you don't understand bitcoin technology!! bitcoin is decentralized!
why don't you read satoshi's paper and you'll see that faith can never be lost.
Pages:
Jump to: