Pages:
Author

Topic: What would the effect be if ISPs are asked to block Bitcoin protocol traffic? - page 2. (Read 3536 times)

vip
Activity: 756
Merit: 503
Some Canadian ISP are throttling BitTorrent traffic but none block it. I guess you're american?
legendary
Activity: 1050
Merit: 1002
Since Bitcoin is global it wouldn't stop Bitcoin overall. It would piss off everyone that suffered such action, especially miners, and market forces would pressure Bitcoin-accepting ISPs to pop up. That is unless it's made illegal of course. Then users would need to use it discreetly over Tor.

However, sending and receiving coins can be done with online wallets (in other countries) like Blockchain.info which use HTTP so blocking Bitcoin protocol traffic means nothing there.
legendary
Activity: 1008
Merit: 1001
Let the chips fall where they may.
If your ISP is blocking Bittorrent, find a better ISP.

Technically the ISP I am using right now bans Bittorrent ("no servers") but tolerates it. My bitcoin node is going up on another ISP. That ISP may complain if Bitcoins are declared illegal, however.
legendary
Activity: 3430
Merit: 3074
BitTorrent uses a lot of expensive bandwidth. ISPs block it to save money and reduce the number of expensive legal complaints that they receive, not because they're evil.

At what stage will Bitcoin be (or construed to be) expensive to the financial services industry? Do we need the technical innovations that will take the network to millions of transactions per day, or will it just be the quantity of money in a given period that will be seen as harmful? I see that Bitcoin would have to become much more prevalent than Bittorrent ever was for it to ever be cast as a threat to the entire monetary system (and it will probably accompany a very different social attitude backdrop, too).

If ISPs did block Bitcoin, they'd be pissing off their customers without getting anything in return for it.

This I'm not sure about, they wouldn't piss all too many off right now, and those they did are far more dependent on their ISP than the ISP are on them.
administrator
Activity: 5222
Merit: 13032
ISPs don't currently have any incentive to block Bitcoin. BitTorrent uses a lot of expensive bandwidth. ISPs block it to save money and reduce the number of expensive legal complaints that they receive, not because they're evil. Bitcoin is very low-bandwidth, and no one is going to send a complaint to your ISP just because you're running a Bitcoin node. If ISPs did block Bitcoin, they'd be pissing off their customers without getting anything in return for it.

If Bitcoin is blocked (which is very easy), the blocked users would just need to use Tor.
Activity: 308
Merit: 250
verified ✔
tor i2p  or the for the wealthy Bitcoiners a Private Satellite Internet Sevice
legendary
Activity: 3430
Merit: 3074
And why (after 4 years and counting) have they not done so anywhere at all?

It took roughly that long for Bittorrent protocol to get barred in many a Western country, and you would think that the inclination and motivation to stop a money service would be much more vociferous than just a file transfer network. 
Pages:
Jump to: