Pages:
Author

Topic: What would you consider living on crypto? - page 9. (Read 1282 times)

Activity: 1134
Merit: 167
August 25, 2021, 09:32:14 AM
I think crypto is just a complement to life that complements the shortcomings of others because I still think that in any line of human life it complements and perfects each other so I can't live in crypto alone
without other than crypto and plus not all life can be fulfilled and paid for using crypto
Activity: 453
Merit: 104
August 25, 2021, 09:21:22 AM
There is a rule in my country which said that citizens only may do transactions using national currency. So I think this it will not happen in my country, but my country didn't ban Bitcoin. If talk about salary, I will be happy if google Adsense use cryptocurrency as one of payment method. I don't like to use paypal, it is too complicated for me and not practical. If I become a content creator it will be my second job and payment for this is for investment so it will be practical to get btc directly so I can trade it right away.
Activity: 1120
Merit: 68
August 25, 2021, 08:54:29 AM
I consider living in crypto if I get paid in crypto when I work and I use crypto buy the basic needs for me to live normally. I think any compromise in the system isn't considered a crypto because what's the point of getting paid in crypto if you're just going to sooner or later convert it to fiat to use it, might as well just get paid in fiat in the first place.
Activity: 1526
Merit: 737
August 25, 2021, 08:47:50 AM
On the one hand, if you're getting paid in BTC, your salary may end up generating money on top of your monthly income. On the other hand, a short term or even long term price crash may diminish your monthly wage. Let's keep in mind that BTC had reached $60.000 and then crashed below $30.000. It took months to recover.

If you're living from paycheck to paycheck, I would advise against it, if you have money aside however, it could be a chance to acquire more wealth. Personally, I'm not sure if I'd opt for such a thing, since it involves a high risk, perhaps having a few paychecks in a year, paid in BTC, would be ideal.
Activity: 1526
Merit: 412
August 25, 2021, 08:43:05 AM
It seems difficult at the moment to live 100% on crypto and purchase things without the use of third party app that converts BTC to fiat. It would be a nice experience living in an environment where crypto is actually recognized like El Salvador.
legendary
Activity: 3458
Merit: 6231
Crypto Swap Exchange
August 25, 2021, 08:34:51 AM
That is actually pseudo-living, not living. I won't take seriously a person who says he gets paid in BTC and starts movements such as “living on crypto”. How do you pay your needs? Don't you convert BTC to USD since all the people of your society transact with the government's currency? How do you pay taxes? How will you pay your bills?
Well that is part of the question. I rarely use cash and just about never use checks, it's all credit cards (for the rewards) so if I did get paid in BTC and then immediately sent it to my BitPay card as USD outside of the lack of cashback rewards for me it would make almost no difference.

*I made this a moderated thread, but it's going to be very lightly moderated if at all. Just to keep the spammers away a bit.
You mean self-moderated? It's not.

Yeah, I decided against it and forgot to edit the post. Done now.

-Dave
legendary
Activity: 1344
Merit: 6415
Farewell, Leo
August 25, 2021, 08:23:58 AM
That is actually pseudo-living, not living. I won't take seriously a person who says he gets paid in BTC and starts movements such as “living on crypto”. How do you pay your needs? Don't you convert BTC to USD since all the people of your society transact with the government's currency? How do you pay taxes? How will you pay your bills?

I wonder... Haven't they noticed that cryptos (referring mostly to Bitcoin) are pseudo-anarchistic currencies where your wealth is manipulated by individuals?

*I made this a moderated thread, but it's going to be very lightly moderated if at all. Just to keep the spammers away a bit.
You mean self-moderated? It's not.
legendary
Activity: 1134
Merit: 1597
August 25, 2021, 08:17:22 AM
I think that putting all your savings in Bitcoin works much better instead. If you live on Bitcoin, unless you earn at least 2x what you need for monthly expenses, there will be months in which you will struggle to live. Especially when quick dumps come and you happen to have to spend a little larger sum of money. You earn $500 a month? Should Bitcoin drop by -50%, any $1 coffee you bought before will now cost you $2 and any t-shirt you bought for $10 will now cost you $20. Got a $200 rent? It will now cost $400. Difficult living like that, and nobody will guarantee that by the end of the year you will recover from your losses.
Activity: 539
Merit: 100
BIB Exchange
August 25, 2021, 07:58:31 AM
Was having a discussion with someone getting who is getting into BTC the other day about the 'living on crypto' movement.
Mostly about the people who want to get paid in BTC / crypto and only spend  BTC / crypto staying away from banks.

We went around and around for a while as to where his line was vs. mine. And it does bring up some interesting points. If you are getting paid in BTC and send it to BitPay / Conbase and convert it to their debit card and spend from there are you 'living on crypto'? How about Bitrefill and other places you can get gift cards from BTC / crypto?

Was an interesting discussion as to where we stood. And was just wondering how everyone else thinks.
Gift cards? Debit cards? Get paid in BTC and convert to USD (or whatever) and put into your bank?

-Dave
I lived in crypto for a while but the reality of its value was unpredictable and made my life difficult, so I chose both as work. both working with a stable paying job and using cryptocurrencies for trading and storage. Do you think the same as I think about this?
legendary
Activity: 3024
Merit: 1496
August 25, 2021, 07:50:58 AM
Was having a discussion with someone getting who is getting into BTC the other day about the 'living on crypto' movement.
Mostly about the people who want to get paid in BTC / crypto and only spend  BTC / crypto staying away from banks.

Personally I wouldn't want to live on crypto because of a very simple reason, the extreme price volatility. So today if the bitcoin price is very high and it is my salary date, I will be receiving less unit of bitcoins. And tomorrow, if the bitcoin price drops by 15%, I will be spending more units of bitcoin to buy my regular supplies.

To be honest, bitcoin has not reached that point where it can be considered as a regular currency. Things might be different for El-Salvador people, but for the rest of the world, it is still an investment with extremely hugh growth potential.

Was an interesting discussion as to where we stood. And was just wondering how everyone else thinks.
Gift cards? Debit cards? Get paid in BTC and convert to USD (or whatever) and put into your bank?

For the use as a currency, it's always better to have the reference of USD so that we can ensure that we aren't spending more than the retail price of a product.

1 bitcoin = 1 bitcoin formula doesn't apply here! The price swing still doesn't make bitcoin a spendable currency. If bitcoin price stabilizes, then possibly more people will be interested in using bitcoin as a currency system. But as of now, I personally would want to save every bit of my bitcoins rather than spending it.
legendary
Activity: 3458
Merit: 6231
Crypto Swap Exchange
August 25, 2021, 07:38:16 AM
Mostly about the people who want to get paid in BTC / crypto and only spend  BTC / crypto staying away from banks.

We went around and around for a while as to where his line was vs. mine. And it does bring up some interesting points. If you are getting paid in BTC and send it to BitPay / Conbase and convert it to their debit card and spend from there are you 'living on crypto'? How about Bitrefill and other places you can get gift cards from BTC / crypto?

-Dave
Pages:
Jump to: