Pages:
Author

Topic: What’s happening to today’s ICOs - page 3. (Read 487 times)

Activity: 406
Merit: 111
March 20, 2018, 07:10:04 PM
Imagine having the world’s fastest racing car; you’ve got the keys, you’ve got the license, the registration, the beautiful interior — it’s all there. But here’s the thing, you hardly ever get to drive it - Why? The gas stations don’t accept your money, and the price of gas is in constant flux: one day it’s super cheap, the next it’s worth almost as much as the car itself.

That’s what’s happening to today’s ICOs. They are raising an eye-watering amount of funds (over 1 billion in 2018 alone), but once the funds are in their wallet, it’s incredibly hard to use them in a practical way.

Here are the two critical issues: liquidity and volatility. The former breaks down like this, I raise $1 million in ETH but I can’t use it to pay my rent. The latter, I raise $1 million in ETH but its value could drop drastically in the same afternoon. Now I’m asking myself….

How do I use a store of value (that’s continually fluctuating) to make sure that my two kids have their school fees paid?

Read the whole article: https://medium.com/@globcoin_io/what-can-icos-learn-from-the-electrification-of-cars-326ee5a63139

Ethereum isn't a store of value and any ICO that accepts Ethereum should be well aware of all the risks that come with it. With that said I think most ICOs hold on to their ETH because most believe it will be worth more in the future.
Activity: 476
Merit: 11
March 20, 2018, 04:36:21 PM
Imagine having the world’s fastest racing car; you’ve got the keys, you’ve got the license, the registration, the beautiful interior — it’s all there. But here’s the thing, you hardly ever get to drive it - Why? The gas stations don’t accept your money, and the price of gas is in constant flux: one day it’s super cheap, the next it’s worth almost as much as the car itself.

That’s what’s happening to today’s ICOs. They are raising an eye-watering amount of funds (over 1 billion in 2018 alone), but once the funds are in their wallet, it’s incredibly hard to use them in a practical way.

Here are the two critical issues: liquidity and volatility. The former breaks down like this, I raise $1 million in ETH but I can’t use it to pay my rent. The latter, I raise $1 million in ETH but its value could drop drastically in the same afternoon. Now I’m asking myself….

How do I use a store of value (that’s continually fluctuating) to make sure that my two kids have their school fees paid?

Read the whole article: https://medium.com/@globcoin_io/what-can-icos-learn-from-the-electrification-of-cars-326ee5a63139
Pages:
Jump to: