Pages:
Author

Topic: What's the safest way to use an awesome brainwallet? - page 2. (Read 1272 times)

Activity: 14
Merit: 0
Just to be sure, I'm not asking how to create an awesome Brainwallet, but how to use one that is already awesome in the safest manner.

I like the allure of a Brainwallet: I can memorize something that is easier FOR ME to remember when compared with the private key.

Having said all that, what good is an amazing Brainwallet if you can't use it at will.

Would it be a good idea to recall that Brainwallet on a hot PC? Part of the beauty of a brainwallet is being able to recall it from memory in any place. I think most people will say no due to hot PCs possibly having keyloggers or other malware.

So, would it be okay to use on a cold PC, if that PC is never connected to the network? This would be a pain in the ass because then I would need to get another PC, and I'm currently broke.

And then, if the brainwallet is amazing and the PC being used to recall the keys is disconnected, then would I be safe?

Could I use that same brainwallet to receive bitcoins?

Could I safely withdraw funds from that brainwallet without compromising the original brainwallet?

I ask that last question because I've seen so many tutorials where people go through such an elaborate process with Armory, Electrum, saved Javascript websites, etc. on a cold PC that never connects, and as soon as they use that highly safe private key on a connected PC to do some business, that private key is immediately invalidated as having been compromised or exposed to the wild.

If I have to do that each time, what good is a brainwallet at all? What good is memorizing the private keys even? Is there a way to withdraw funds from a private key without exposing it to the wild??
Pages:
Jump to: