Pages:
Author

Topic: What's your Mhash/s? (Pissing contest here) - page 66. (Read 143987 times)

Activity: 49
Merit: 0
February 19, 2013, 12:21:39 PM
Im at around 48Mh/s
Not great I know
Activity: 68
Merit: 10
February 19, 2013, 11:30:19 AM
Wow. Excellent, thank you very much gigavps

vip
Activity: 1358
Merit: 1000
AKA: gigavps
February 19, 2013, 09:56:27 AM
I'm seeing these M/Hash & G/Hash figures but not really understanding how many Bitcoins/hr they translate to. That's more of a significant metric if you ask me.

How do you go about determining that?

http://www.alloscomp.com/bitcoin/calculator
Activity: 68
February 19, 2013, 09:50:30 AM
I'm seeing these M/Hash & G/Hash figures but not really understanding how many Bitcoins/hr they translate to. That's more of a significant metric if you ask me.

How do you go about determining that?
Activity: 39
February 19, 2013, 05:29:42 AM
Im clocking in around 300 Mh/s on a Radeon HD5850
Activity: 1036
Merit: 500
February 19, 2013, 01:51:07 AM
I have a 6850, I think Im getting around 160mh/s, it seems rather low for a decent card, but Im only running GUIminer with stock GPU speed/voltage.

I think its worth it, not really sure my kw/h price ($.16 maybe?), but Im trying to learn a bit more about mining while I wait for my BFL machine to arrive.
Activity: 56
November 13, 2012, 07:36:14 PM
9800 GTX doing 35.5 Mhash/s right now.

I wish I had the money or hardware to do more right now but I just don't. I have been thinking about getting my hands on some of my friends old cards that they no longer use and just running those. I guess I'm really only doing this for fun right now though. I'm not currently looking to "make money" even though I am getting some coins through this.
Activity: 20
November 13, 2012, 05:41:36 PM
Soon to be 30 GH/s  Roll Eyes
Activity: 378
Merit: 250
November 13, 2012, 04:02:29 PM
I personally wouldn't mind with anything other than relatively power efficient GPU's right now (at least 2-3 MH/watt).  That being said, I wouldn't buy _anything_ to mine at the moment until we see if there's any shakeup because of ASIC's in the next 2 months.  Claims of 500-1000 MH/watt ASIC's would make even the best GPU useless for mining.
Activity: 133
Merit: 100
November 13, 2012, 02:39:16 PM
Ah, that's good, just be ready, at block 210,000 (we're at 207,781 now and will probably hit 210K in about 2 weeks), the block reward drops in half.  So you'll be making half as much as you are now.  If the BTC/$ price doesn't go up, you might be losing $5/month Smiley
half from what he is earning now. also.. what do you think, use a netbook to run 24/7 and mine with it? the power consumption is 10-15W without screen and depending on brand.
Activity: 83
November 13, 2012, 01:19:22 PM

Ah, but there's a difference.  If you're laptop is sitting there idle, it'll probably go into standby or even sleep mode and only use a few watts.  You mine with it and you're probably using 60-100 watts.  So you might actually make a few bucks, but there's a good chance you'll kill your laptop a lot faster than if it had just been idling/sleeping.

Well, after quick calculation it seems that mining provides ~10USD per month, wich nearly exactly covers electricity cost. Better this, than just power consumption while it runs idle. And I dont really think it will kill my hardware since chip itself [cpu+gpu] is only 18W. I can hear the fan, but its never at full speed, nor do I feel any excesive heat from any laptop part.

Ah, that's good, just be ready, at block 210,000 (we're at 207,781 now and will probably hit 210K in about 2 weeks), the block reward drops in half.  So you'll be making half as much as you are now.  If the BTC/$ price doesn't go up, you might be losing $5/month Smiley

I wonder how difficulty will change - with reward drop some miners should drop as well. So there is a slight chance that I will mine with my laptop little longer - until ASICs will come out.
November 13, 2012, 01:12:40 PM

Ah, but there's a difference.  If you're laptop is sitting there idle, it'll probably go into standby or even sleep mode and only use a few watts.  You mine with it and you're probably using 60-100 watts.  So you might actually make a few bucks, but there's a good chance you'll kill your laptop a lot faster than if it had just been idling/sleeping.

Well, after quick calculation it seems that mining provides ~10USD per month, wich nearly exactly covers electricity cost. Better this, than just power consumption while it runs idle. And I dont really think it will kill my hardware since chip itself [cpu+gpu] is only 18W. I can hear the fan, but its never at full speed, nor do I feel any excesive heat from any laptop part.

November 13, 2012, 01:06:19 PM

Activity: 616
Merit: 500
Portland Bitcoin Group Organizer
November 13, 2012, 01:02:08 PM
I wouldn't worry too much about profitability. I think of it like those computers setup to run SETI@HOME. The difference is that with Bitcoin you're helping to secure the network AND you get a little sumthin' sumthin' back. Even after ASIC penetration I think we'll still see people hashing from their laptop GPUs for the same reason they would run SETI@HOME. In both cases it means you're a part of something great and you're making a quantifiable difference.
November 13, 2012, 11:58:03 AM
Anyone that's hashing less than 50-100 MH/sec really needs to take a step back and look through their numbers.  There's a really good chance that you're spending more in power costs than you are making BTC'wise.  And don't come out with the "I have free power" crap, because unless you have solar or wind turbines, someone is paying for it and you're just wasting energy.

If you want to mine Bitcoins, then do some research and really mine bitcoins with the understanding that numbers that look good today could easily be in the tank if ASIC's come out in the next month or two.  Otherwise you're likely just wasting energy for basically nothing.

Well, you are right, however I do not use my laptop for mining primarily - for most time its idle with bitcoin-qt and some other p2p software running so I figured that since it is wasting electricity anyway, I can turn at least some of it into bitcoins. I never expected my laptop to pay for itself (at least not by mining), but putting in some use spare computing power is probably worth it.

November 13, 2012, 11:38:38 AM
Anyone that's hashing less than 50-100 MH/sec really needs to take a step back and look through their numbers.  There's a really good chance that you're spending more in power costs than you are making BTC'wise.  And don't come out with the "I have free power" crap, because unless you have solar or wind turbines, someone is paying for it and you're just wasting energy.

If you want to mine Bitcoins, then do some research and really mine bitcoins with the understanding that numbers that look good today could easily be in the tank if ASIC's come out in the next month or two.  Otherwise you're likely just wasting energy for basically nothing.

Well, you are right, however I do not use my laptop for mining primarily - for most time its idle with bitcoin-qt and some other p2p software running so I figured that since it is wasting electricity anyway, I can turn at least some of it into bitcoins. I never expected my laptop to pay for itself (at least not by mining), but putting in some use spare computing power is probably worth it.
November 13, 2012, 11:28:02 AM
Anyone that's hashing less than 50-100 MH/sec really needs to take a step back and look through their numbers.  There's a really good chance that you're spending more in power costs than you are making BTC'wise.  And don't come out with the "I have free power" crap, because unless you have solar or wind turbines, someone is paying for it and you're just wasting energy.

If you want to mine Bitcoins, then do some research and really mine bitcoins with the understanding that numbers that look good today could easily be in the tank if ASIC's come out in the next month or two.  Otherwise you're likely just wasting energy for basically nothing.

You also need to consider that even if it is 'profitable', is it really worth mining for $5-$10 a month in profit if you're destroying your CPU/GPU/Machine and will need to replace it when it ups and dies after 6 months of continuous use?  Will that $30-$60 you made in Bitcoins pay for the replacement of whatever died?
Activity: 457
November 13, 2012, 11:10:00 AM
130 MH/s  Sad
November 13, 2012, 10:36:02 AM
12.5Mh with radeon 6320 integrated. (apu e-450)
legendary
Activity: 2058
Merit: 1005
this space intentionally left blank
November 13, 2012, 10:07:05 AM
1200mhash

3*6950
1*5850
Pages:
Jump to: