Pages:
Author

Topic: When in 2013 shall Bitcoin break its all-time-high of $31? - page 3. (Read 8831 times)

Activity: 67
Merit: 10
I don't think it'll go beyond $20 again, at least until the next reward halving. It hit $31 because of a whole lot of hype and attention out of nowhere, then it quickly went back down as the difficulty did. I actually expect its price to go down because of how affordable and efficient ASICs are in comparison to GPUs.

Do I assume correctly that your underlying premise is therefore that that price follows cost of production - or more indirectly that price follows difficulty which follows cost of production?  Many would argue with you that it works the other way round.  I get the impression it is more generally believed that price is determined by the balance between supply and demand and that when the price goes up difficulty goes up as more hashing power comes on line until cost of production is near BTC price.  You'll also find some technical analysis on this I have found to be persuasive.

No. If price followed cost of production then the price would be at least $20 right now. However, people won't be willing to sell their Bitcoins for less than what they spent to generate them, so it's partially true.
legendary
Activity: 1988
Merit: 1012
Beyond Imagination
When there is an established exchange, there will be hedge funds enter to push the price up, price X4 is a typical campaign
Activity: 743
Merit: 500
For me the next interesting price milestone is $17.

At that point, we can well and truly put that awful Wired article "The Rise and Fall of Bitcoin" behind us.
The one that stated:
"... but the damage had been done; the bitcoin never got back above $17."

http://www.wired.com/magazine/2011/11/mf_bitcoin/all/
for me exchange rate parity with Facebook or Silver  Cheesy
legendary
Activity: 1638
Merit: 1001
₪``Campaign Manager´´₪
I don't think it'll go beyond $20 again, at least until the next reward halving. It hit $31 because of a whole lot of hype and attention out of nowhere, then it quickly went back down as the difficulty did. I actually expect its price to go down because of how affordable and efficient ASICs are in comparison to GPUs.

Do I assume correctly that your underlying premise is therefore that that price follows cost of production - or more indirectly that price follows difficulty which follows cost of production?  Many would argue with you that it works the other way round.  I get the impression it is more generally believed that price is determined by the balance between supply and demand and that when the price goes up difficulty goes up as more hashing power comes on line until cost of production is near BTC price.  You'll also find some technical analysis on this I have found to be persuasive.

The efficiency of miners determining the prices makes no sense to me whatsoever.  "Oh, they just invented a superefficient miner, now I don't want my bitcoins anymore" .... wut? 
If mining is profitable because of increased efficiency, then the result will be that more people will start mining, not that people will sell off their btcs...
Activity: 238
Merit: 100

This is the general belief.
Activity: 784
Merit: 506

Activity: 67
Merit: 10
Activity: 763
There is a third option you're not really considering, which I find strange. There is the possibility that Bitcoin really finds some uses that make it lift off and enter mainstream.
I think we all could expect this, but it's not for certain. What I like is to compare this to existing technologies.
E.g. look at the searches for "qr code" vs bitcoin. If you remove the spike, we are now where QR codes were in 2009. For me this feels ok. Hence, it takes 2-3 years, not 6 months.

http://www.google.com/trends/explore#q=%22qr%20code%22%2C%20bitcoin&cmpt=q
Activity: 501
Bitcoin won't scale to very high prices (adoption) yet, the blockchain size will explode and transaction fees will be very high if BTC adoption (and thus price) is going to grow tenfold. Adoption growing hundredfold would break the network.

Bitcoin is not a mature technology yet.

Actually, I think the intention of the mainline developers is to lower the transaction fee over time as the value of bitcoin rises relative to other currencies.

Yes, but developers do not ultimately decide the transaction fee, miners do. And as miners' storage and network traffic costs grow, transaction fee revenue must grow to accommodate that rise in costs.

As of current implementation, between 10x and 100x current transaction volume, the traffic and (especially) storage costs will start to limit the usability of the currency.
Activity: 700
Bitcoin won't scale to very high prices (adoption) yet, the blockchain size will explode and transaction fees will be very high if BTC adoption (and thus price) is going to grow tenfold. Adoption growing hundredfold would break the network.

Actually, I think the intention of the mainline developers is to lower the transaction fee over time as the value of bitcoin rises relative to other currencies.
donator
Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006
Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.
Activity: 1101
Merit: 512
What are the m-of-n transactions?  Huh
By the way, I predict all time high spot price in 2014 and around $25 by the end of 2013.

donator
Bitcoin development is going pretty fast even though it will probably be a few years before it is ready for mass adoption. At that point Bitcoin will be worth several orders of magnitude beyond current value. All it will take for speculators to kick it up a notch is a killer app. These will be plethora when m-of-n transactions become available.

m-of-n transactions are available, we just need the apps to be built
Yeah, I'm starting to think that will be a couple more years away. Well, more time for me to buy cheap bitcoins!
legendary
Activity: 1904
Merit: 1002
Bitcoin development is going pretty fast even though it will probably be a few years before it is ready for mass adoption. At that point Bitcoin will be worth several orders of magnitude beyond current value. All it will take for speculators to kick it up a notch is a killer app. These will be plethora when m-of-n transactions become available.

m-of-n transactions are available, we just need the apps to be built
donator
legendary
Activity: 2198
Merit: 1311
I don't think so.  2015 or maybe 2014.  The surges in prices are less extreme now.  I don't think we will see any +100% years.  $20 maybe.

This.  There are simply too many holders of large collections of bitcoins and as the price increases it's easier and easier for less and less bitcoins to push it back down.  There'd need to be a lot more money on MtGox to get back to $31 and that's just to get there.  There'd need to be even more money to keep it there.  We're probably years away from that.

Hmmmm and what about the return of me.ga? If Kim decides to accept bit coin/litecoin? What would happen?

Probably the same thing that happened when Wordpress accepted bitcoin - a small rise in price.  The fact is that bitcoin is still far too obscure and difficult to use for the vast majority of people.

IMO me.ga (if accepting bitcoins) will have a much greater impact on bitcoin. compared to me.ga wordpress is tiny

Ok, stop right there.  Will you please show me how Wordpress is tiny compared to me.ga?  What data do you have on this?  Did you know that Wordpress is Alexa ranked 22nd among all websites on the internet?  Megaupload was never even close to that before it was taken down.  Why would me.ga, a site based on the same premise as Megaupload, suddenly be much more popular and highly trafficked than Wordpress?
legendary
Activity: 1002
Merit: 1000
Bitcoin
Oh, 1/3 voted never !

I'm surprised, many of those may be disapointed Smiley

Let's bet about it on BetsOfBitco.in Smiley

I've bet on few statement like this one, around 1st and 2nd quater imo !
Activity: 1101
Merit: 512
There are 3 likely possibilities for Bitcoin. The first option is that Bitcoin continues to be a currency of the niche. Most of you are thinking along those lines. That is the route of slowing growth rate. Even in that case Bitcoin can break the all-time-high quite easily but it will take some time. The second option is that Bitcoin gets destroyed or fails somehow during the next couple of years.

There is a third option you're not really considering, which I find strange. There is the possibility that Bitcoin really finds some uses that make it lift off and enter mainstream. I believe the possibility of this is not insignificant. If that happens, we will see a growth rate far beyond of 2012. The price would go through $100 like a knife through butter. Instead of 100's of millions, the market cap would be in the billions.

Remember that the spike in 2011 was basically Bitcoin becoming known at all. Mainly in the technology & libertarian circles. If Bitcoin hits mainstream in usage, the spike in 2011 is a blip that will look like a straight horizontal line in the graph of the future. We don't know if this will happen or when it will happen but I think that 2013-2015 is the time it will likely happen if it is to happen.

So in conclusion I'd say that if Bitcoin starts to really show its potential in 2013 we will break through $31. Like it's nothing. However that might not happen or it might happen in later years. In that case there will be a slowing growth rate that is fairly linear, for a while longer at least.

You're absolutely right. For bitcoin's unique properties and obvious potentials to be possibly adopted in the future (as a ideal money universally acceptable, easily stored and transported, and highly divisible ), it's market cap up-to-date is only $140 million that is astoundingly small. 40 days ago when I heard and joined it, I felt that the market depth was so thin (I buy bitcoin on a Chinese exchange named BtcChina which is ranking as the 10th biggest in the world in term of daily trading volumn and in the local currency RMB), so those monies bigger-than-I (I'm really a very small shrimp in comparison with those huge sharks!) shall surely have ever bigger difficulties than me to find a way sneaking into in. So my conclusion is that if ever the Bitcoin goes mainstream in any extent the price shall go to da moon!
Pages:
Jump to: