Pages:
Author

Topic: When is Authenticator code needed? - page 2. (Read 261 times)

Activity: 2842
Merit: 625
March 27, 2021, 05:21:22 PM
If you have activated your 2FA on your account then it will usually ask you whenever you login. But in your situation, if ever you can login on another device despite having the 2FA activated, that's really odd.

If I am asked for an Authenticator code to withdraw funds it will fail.  I wonder if there is any other way to test this without actually trying to withdraw funds.
You have deleted the app or the one that's showing your 2FA code on the app? it's unclear to me sorry. But this is the purpose why 2FA is important, you'll not be able to take it out if you don't have it. In this case, you need to contact the Coinbase support and explain this problem you have.
Activity: 30
Merit: 1
March 27, 2021, 01:18:46 PM
 Coinbase sent me a one time code to use to login after my having been locked out, but I don't know if I will ever be asked for any other code. To clearify, each time I went to login on a different device they sent me a code to use during the login process.
Where do you receive the code? To your number? Then nothing else is required. That's the code I think. And in some cases, if the device used to log in your account is known to coinbase, they may not ask for code.

Yes, they sent it to my phone, and then during the login process they sent an email to which I had to respond on the same device that I was using to try to login.

But, you now have me worried about BlockFi.  If I am asked for an Authenticator code to withdraw funds it will fail.  I wonder if there is any other way to test this without actually trying to withdraw funds.
legendary
Activity: 2072
Merit: 2012
Marketing Campaign Manager |Telegram ID- @LT_Mouse
March 27, 2021, 01:15:01 PM
 Coinbase sent me a one time code to use to login after my having been locked out, but I don't know if I will ever be asked for any other code. To clearify, each time I went to login on a different device they sent me a code to use during the login process.
Where do you receive the code? To your number? Then nothing else is required. That's the code I think. And in some cases, if the device used to log in your account is known to coinbase, they may not ask for code.
March 27, 2021, 01:10:29 PM
Your question isn’t clear to me.
Anyway, if you set 2FA (which you will be asked for with most of the reputed sites), you will be asked for code on every time you log in or withdraw fund. In case of coinbase, I used my number only and I am required to use the code everytime I try to withdraw fund.

Well, on BlockFi I log on and off a couple of times every day and am only asked for my userid and password.  This makes me wonder if I should try a small withdrawal to see they ask me for anything else.  Coinbase sent me a one time code to use to login after my having been locked out, but I don't know if I will ever be asked for any other code. To clearify, each time I went to login on a different device they sent me a code to use during the login process.

If I am asked for any code when withdrawing funds, I would have no idea what to enter.
Activity: 1526
Merit: 412
March 27, 2021, 12:56:26 PM
That's odd. It's supposed to ask the codes on all your devices. Are you sure you don't have two different Coinbase account? The account registered in your phone with 2FA is different from your tablet or desktop. It's the only reason I could think of.
legendary
Activity: 2072
Merit: 2012
Marketing Campaign Manager |Telegram ID- @LT_Mouse
March 27, 2021, 12:52:43 PM
Your question isn’t clear to me.
Anyway, if you set 2FA (which you will be asked for with most of the reputed sites), you will be asked for code on every time you log in or withdraw fund. In case of coinbase, I used my number only and I am required to use the code everytime I try to withdraw fund.
March 27, 2021, 12:48:52 PM
I managed to destroy my Authenticator keys and just got re-enabled by Coinbase.  So, any time that I had been asked for my Authenticator code it would fail.  So, I could not access Coinbase or Coinbase Pro on my phone, but could access both on my tablet, and could only access Coinbase Pro on my desktop.  If any of these would have had occasion to ask for my Authenticator code it would have failed and then I would have no longer have had access.  I can still access other exchanges that use Authenticator codes.

So, my question is under what circumstances is one asked for an Authenticator code?
Pages:
Jump to: