Pages:
Author

Topic: When is the right time to lock a topic? - page 2. (Read 245 times)

legendary
Activity: 2338
Merit: 10802
There are lies, damned lies and statistics. MTwain
July 16, 2021, 10:24:46 AM
<…>
It’s really your own prerogative. Theoretically, if the OP considers that he’s got the answers he was looking for, or that the debate has reached a point where it is no longer productive, he may proceed to locking the topic (that’s assuming that the OP actually monitors the thread). Mods/Admins may also lock topics as per their own criteria (possibly after a report), which tends to be when they are just becoming too spammy.

Personally, I’ve locked some of my threads, but most are I do leave open, lest one of them turns into a spam fest or is time sensitive.

I recall debates on Meta as to whether threads should auto-lock after a given period of time, or a given period of posting inactivity. The general feeling was, I believe, to let them be, since some topics make sense resurfacing after a few months or even a year (i.e. when events have taken place that make sense to continue a given thread). If they were to autolock, someone would probably create a new topic on the same matter in a squeeze. Ofcourse if they are necrobumped for no good reason, they should be reported (the necrobumber).
Activity: 378
Merit: 135
July 16, 2021, 10:08:44 AM
I thought about this because one can ask a question and the first five comments provide the answer to the question. Even when the op problem is solved, other posters continue to comment on the thread sometimes leading to unnecessary discussion. Leaving a thread open makes for good conversations, although the discussion may change if the thread becomes bulky and long. One may not have time to read the comments and only respond to the posts on tjr last page. Often, a thread may be so interesting that it bounces back to the top after a long time. Putting all this into consideration, comes my question when is it time to lock a topic?
Pages:
Jump to: