Pages:
Author

Topic: When mining gear becomes a paper-weight - page 2. (Read 4074 times)

Activity: 810
Merit: 1000
November 21, 2013, 04:42:55 AM
Because the gear will be replaced by more modern ASICs, right?

Corrext. THe older ASICs, typically 65nm, are being replaced shortly by 28nm. When this happens, the older ones become increasingly poor financial hardware which will cost the user more $$$/BTC to run than they generate.

I offer a free alternative to letting these devices fall onto the scrap heaps by plugging them into my solar panel systems. THis extends their running life indefinetly.
November 21, 2013, 04:40:05 AM
What's wrong with mining alt coin?
Old ASICs can only mine SHA256 alt coins which are even less economically viable than BTC with the same miner.

Rather than let it sit on the shelf gathering dust or costing you money to maitain network security as a public service. I am offering to run them until they fall apart as I poured profits into a medium alternate energy system which could power old ASICs
Activity: 182
Merit: 100
November 20, 2013, 09:35:00 AM
What's wrong with mining alt coin?
b!z
legendary
Activity: 1582
Merit: 1010
November 20, 2013, 09:33:03 AM
Because the gear will be replaced by more modern ASICs, right?
November 18, 2013, 07:12:00 PM
With difficulty sky rocketing and profitability falling, do you have old mining gear that is now just a paper-weight?

Would you like to continue contributing to the security of the BTC network with your old mining gear but don't want to run it at a loss?

As an Australian based miner whom has been mining for the past ~2 1/2 years, I have been through GPUs + FPGAs and now have my own Jally. In order to maintain viability, I ploughed my profits not into the next generation of pre-order hardware but into a mid-sized stand alone renewable energy setup of hybrid solar and wind. This allows me to continue mining with equipment that retail grid connected deem to be uneconomical.

So rather than letting your old hardware become useless paperweights, please consider donating them to a long term solar farm which will keep hashing for as long as the hardware lasts and the sun shines.

I am happy to pay postage to get the gear here, Bendigo in regional Victoria (Australia), if you’re willing to donate it. Like supporting an orphan in a 3rd world country, I will send you regular snap shots of your newly housed and happy hardware.

Regards,

Cranky

Pages:
Jump to: