Pages:
Author

Topic: When the USD collapses what will happen to Bitcoin? - page 2. (Read 2797 times)

Activity: 672
Merit: 500
In a scenario where dollar collapses to zero you would benefit more from owning a gun, ammo & food than bitcoins.

That's for sure. Are you a prepper? ^^

I think that's true if all fiat crashes. If it's 'just' the USD, then the people might use other fiat. If all fiat crashes, we're doomed. Move to the nearest farm and be sure you've got enough guns & ammo. And some protecting gear. Maybe landmines will be usefull then.

I hope we won't experience such situation ever.

There is no scenario where only the USD collapses.  I don't understand why people (not you) think the dollar can collapse and everything will go on in an orderly fashion.  A collapse of the dollar would have systemic impacts that would damage the entire global economy. 
Activity: 434
Merit: 251
it would have to be a major disaster or the end of the world. and then people would be using food and guns and gold as currency tog et what they want
Activity: 784
Merit: 500
If dollar collapse people would use a more stable currency.   But thats not bitcoin.

Why would dollar collapse?   Only if something big happened.   Its not gonna collapse because of debt
Activity: 560
Merit: 102
yes, send some of bitcoins FUD to the USD instead.
Merit: 251
world would be over and we would be fighting eachother for whatevers left. there will be no internet for bitcoins lol. get your guns and ammo and take cover in a shelter.
legendary
Activity: 1050
Merit: 1007
Live like there is no tomorrow!
In a scenario where dollar collapses to zero you would benefit more from owning a gun, ammo & food than bitcoins.

That's for sure. Are you a prepper? ^^

I think that's true if all fiat crashes. If it's 'just' the USD, then the people might use other fiat. If all fiat crashes, we're doomed. Move to the nearest farm and be sure you've got enough guns & ammo. And some protecting gear. Maybe landmines will be usefull then.

I hope we won't experience such situation ever.
Activity: 784
Merit: 1000
https://youtu.be/PZm8TTLR2NU
When the USD collapses...?
The USD is already down ~97% in ~100 years.
How much lower does it need to go before we say it already collapsed?
Wisest comment in thread.
Merit: 250
In Hashrate We Trust!
Activity: 164
Merit: 100
Indie Developer
All fiat currencies eventually became worthless, and so will the US dollar one day. Yet I defer to the inimitable J.M. Keynes, The market can stay irrational longer than you can stay solvent.

This is very true. We knew years that the U.S. and the E.U. have unsustainable monetary policies. But yet the years pass by without any really devastating crash. For the U.S. dollar to crash, it has to crash relatively to something better, and it doesn't seem like any other big fiat currency is going to apply for that task. May it be gold, Bitcoin or certificates to cultivate land for all we know, but the USD need to get quite a bit worse before we need to go back to self-sufficient farming.

I think a crash might hurt the Bitcoin value in the short run. It would need to be videly accepted to actually benefit from a USD collapse.
Activity: 406
Merit: 252
All fiat currencies eventually became worthless, and so will the US dollar one day. Yet I defer to the inimitable J.M. Keynes, The market can stay irrational longer than you can stay solvent.

Don't be surprised if the USD collapse takes far longer to happen than you think, for the destruction of debt and monetary deflation, not inflation, often precedes hyperinflationary and hyperdeflationary currency events; hence why the Federal Reserve is so keen on maintaining inflation and only inflation, and the mechanisms by which debt may be destroyed or purged are purposefully protracted and open-ended. One could even make a cogent argument that, despite their ostensible mandate, the Fed has been successful at slowly, decade by decade, collapsing the USD on purpose.

(I'm no Keynesian, by the way, but his work is certainly worth studying, if for no other reason than Keynes is more reasonable and perceptive than nearly all the parrots who worship him.)

To your question, what will happen to bitcoin when the USD collapses? Depends at which point during the collapse one considers the exchange rate, if the collapse is total, and if the collapse is controlled. If it's a total, uncontrolled collapse, then infinite dollars wouldn't even buy a single satoshi. If the collapse is controlled and mitigated to allow for a new currency to take the place of the USD, then the price of BTC would somewhat depend upon whether they whom the collapse is controlled by are keen on bitcoin. Perhaps an initial panic depreciation in price followed by swift appreciation.

All else being equal, supply and demand, your momma, etc......
legendary
Activity: 2114
Merit: 1040
A Great Time to Start Something!
When the USD collapses...?
The USD is already down ~97% in ~100 years.
How much lower does it need to go before we say it already collapsed?
legendary
Activity: 1050
Merit: 1007
Live like there is no tomorrow!
If any decent fiat will crash, I'm sure the price of gold etc. ánd Bitcoin (and even many altcoins) will increase!

You've got to find somehow 1 way to pay each other, and e-currency might be the solution.
legendary
Activity: 2212
Merit: 1199
IMO - if (IF) dollar will EVER collapse - bitcoin will be worth "a lot" ... but there is enough place for $$ and BTC
Activity: 252
Merit: 250
just look at cyprus last spring, when cyprus gave certain accounts a large hair cut against their will

people rushed into bitcoin, pushing the price up

some people kept their holdings in bitcoin because they will never trust their government/banks with their savings again
Activity: 224
Merit: 100
Hey guys I am new here....just purchased my first coins today. I want to know what everyone else thinks will happen to Bitcoin when the dollar falls off?....will people holding Bitcoins suddenly become "millionaires"? and smaller transactions will be made in mBTC or litecoin?  Also can someone help me understand why the price of a Bitcoin is valued at the price it is today? What effects this price and so on? 
Pages:
Jump to: