Pages:
Author

Topic: Where to use .json file ? - page 2. (Read 442 times)

Activity: 1372
Merit: 783
better everyday ♥
January 04, 2020, 10:06:40 PM
Hello,

Today i downloaded a wallet backup from a website, the extension to it was ".json". There was no program in my computer that could open this file.

I think if i used a desktop wallet, i could load it or import or something like that from what i read.

Does it have the backup phrases inside it like i got when i first started trezor ? Or does it have private key which if i load in block chain then loads my receiving address? What exactly is in it and is it mandatory for me to use a desktop wallet to load and look into it ?

Is it Bitcoin wallet?
There is another way much easier. Go back to that website and use your json file, then get the private key from it. Get the private key and download a wallet, example: Electrum. Final, import your private key to Electrum. It's easy to use  Wink
legendary
Activity: 3024
Merit: 2148
January 04, 2020, 09:57:01 PM
You should specify which website and coin are you talking about, without it no one can help you to fully solve your problem.

Json is a human-readable data format, so you can open it with any text editor, like Notepad on Windows - maybe it has private keys in raw format that you can import. Off the top of my head, Ethereum wallets often use json files for storing private keys, is this the case? Are we talking about Ethereum wallet? If so, you can use MEW or Metamask or any Ethereum desktop wallet to open your wallet file.
Activity: 104
Merit: 61
January 04, 2020, 09:26:45 PM
Hello,

Today i downloaded a wallet backup from a website, the extension to it was ".json". There was no program in my computer that could open this file.

I think if i used a desktop wallet, i could load it or import or something like that from what i read.

Does it have the backup phrases inside it like i got when i first started trezor ? Or does it have private key which if i load in block chain then loads my receiving address? What exactly is in it and is it mandatory for me to use a desktop wallet to load and look into it ?

EDIT

The admin swiftly replied that :

The JSON file isn't compatible with any other wallet software yet.

It currently can only be used by somebody with some technical/coding experience.

The format of the backup file and the mechanism used to calculate addresses is described in detail @ https://whitepaper.localethereum.com/#sec-Ratcheting-addresses
Pages:
Jump to: