Pages:
Author

Topic: Where will stop, the size of the database bitcoin. 1GB+ - page 2. (Read 5245 times)

legendary
Activity: 1008
Merit: 1001
Let the chips fall where they may.
Activity: 677
Merit: 250
It probably isn't going to become a priority until the blockchain is around the 10-20 GB range.  Any computer newer than two years old and with a decent broadband connection can handle this kind of database.

The most common SSD drives are 64 to 80GB  Cry

legendary
Activity: 1708
Merit: 1010
I can't compromise the network, and it can reach infinity until a client with the capacity to 'prune' spent transactions from the old blocks is developed.  Pruning of the blockchain is part of the protocol, but isn't implimented yet, and likely won't be for some time.  It probably isn't going to become a priority until the blockchain is around the 10-20 GB range.

If the pruning of block chain is part of the protocol, where is it written?
I looked for several articles and found nothing about it.

If this information is official, it makes sense.

It's in the white paper.
Activity: 392
Merit: 100
I can't compromise the network, and it can reach infinity until a client with the capacity to 'prune' spent transactions from the old blocks is developed.  Pruning of the blockchain is part of the protocol, but isn't implimented yet, and likely won't be for some time.  It probably isn't going to become a priority until the blockchain is around the 10-20 GB range.

If the pruning of block chain is part of the protocol, where is it written?
I looked for several articles and found nothing about it.

If this information is official, it makes sense.
legendary
Activity: 1708
Merit: 1010
I have a big question, searched the forum about it and found nothing.

Bitcoin today has surpassed the mark of 1GB of data.
Imagine that it has become popular in large scale in a short time, the size of the database could be increased so incredible, and make it slower, no?

No.  Not slower.  Not the network, anyway.  Perhaps your particular client, but only if your machine & internet connection suck.

As far this size can reach? It can compromise the network?

Huh

I can't compromise the network, and it can reach infinity until a client with the capacity to 'prune' spent transactions from the old blocks is developed.  Pruning of the blockchain is part of the protocol, but isn't implimented yet, and likely won't be for some time.  It probably isn't going to become a priority until the blockchain is around the 10-20 GB range.  Any computer newer than two years old and with a decent broadband connection can handle this kind of database.

Imagine that it has become popular in large scale in a short time, the size of the database could be increased so incredible, and make it slower, no?

Huh

Mining pools and exchanges can help control the size of the blockchain by increasing the minimum amount they work with.  If pools would transfer 1 bitcoin at a time instead of 0.1 or even 0.01, you'd reduce the size of the blockchain considerably.

I know this, but if the number of users increase bitcoin in a very fast, worldwide, the demand would be incalculable.
With existing pools and exchanges will not be enough to balance this.
Vod
legendary
Activity: 3668
Merit: 3010
Licking my boob since 1970

Huh

Mining pools and exchanges can help control the size of the blockchain by increasing the minimum amount they work with.  If pools would transfer 1 bitcoin at a time instead of 0.1 or even 0.01, you'd reduce the size of the blockchain considerably.
The client does not need the entire database to work properly.  Future clients will allow downloading of only relevant blocks.  

Read this for more:
https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/FAQ#If_every_transaction_is_broadcast_via_the_network.2C_does_Bitcoin_scale.3F

Right ... when? The article does not told this specifically.  Undecided
My up-to-date blk001.dat is "only" 528MB. The blkindex.dat is 216MB. Where did you get that 1GB+ ?

I installed bitcoin on a new machine now, and I finished downloading all the blocks. The folder "database" was to 1.10GB, and blkindex and blk0001 together added 752mb.

Very simple: Future Clients might use a binary data format and / or compression, there are large amounts of redundant information.

I dont understand, why I had to download almost 2GB of data then?
I not understand it, but I think everyone who install bitcoin from today will download the same amount of data in an ever increasing volume, is not?
Where are the compression?
Activity: 28
Merit: 0
The client does not need the entire database to work properly.  Future clients will allow downloading of only relevant blocks.  

Read this for more:
https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/FAQ#If_every_transaction_is_broadcast_via_the_network.2C_does_Bitcoin_scale.3F

legendary
Activity: 1008
Merit: 1023
Democracy is the original 51% attack
Use the excellent Android app as an example. It's a fully-functional wallet, but only about 30MB.
legendary
Activity: 1666
Merit: 1057
Marketing manager - GO MP
Very simple: Future Clients might use a binary data format and / or compression, there are large amounts of redundant information.
Activity: 531
Merit: 505
My up-to-date blk001.dat is "only" 528MB. The blkindex.dat is 216MB. Where did you get that 1GB+ ?

Huh
Pages:
Jump to: