Pages:
Author

Topic: Where's the financial gain for Mike and Gavin coming from ? - page 2. (Read 1660 times)

Activity: 882
Merit: 1006
I only know from the past. I don't know how it's changed since though. But that's how Gavin was paying us (and himself) back then, with grant money. So I'm going to assume it's still their main source of funding.

Gavin gets paid by the Bitcoin Foundation who in turn got paid by their sponsors. What grant are you talking about? first time I ever heard of it, can I get one too?

Mike Hearn was a senior engineer at Google and co-owns a number of anti-spam patents with Google. Google lets certain employee's spend 20% of their time working on any project they want, Mike choose Bitcoin as his project in 2011. He quit his job in 2012/2013 to work on Bitcoin fulltime and is now paid by the Bitcoin Foundation, significantly less than what he was paid at Google.

Thats not to say there isn't a financial gain. This change could have impacts on mining revenue, it's hard to know for sure whether they have a financial reason for doing it. I think their reason is probably desperation but also a grab for more control over Bitcoin, the blocksizelimit does need to be changed but not via the insanely dangerous way they are attempting.
legendary
Activity: 1148
Merit: 1014
In Satoshi I Trust
The financial gain is that bitcoin can live up to its promise  Smiley

a free and open blockchain. a blockchain everyone has access to, world wide, small and big transactions, every usecase you can imagine, uncensored, nearly free transaction costs for everyone in the world! and for that we need bigger blocks.

i guess everyone should support bigger blocks  Smiley

@rscholey

2vs4 or something like that. most agree about an increase but they dont find consensus.
Activity: 210
Merit: 100
not to mention being one of the early bitcoin instaminers Gavin scored atleast one $25 million USD windfall i know of Shocked as well as gaining 260k + a year from the bitcoin foundation of awhile......so yeah good to see we've got an alternative to those greedy bankers  Huh

And technically it's not illegal because it's govt grant money. He and Jon Matonis know all the legal loopholes and stuff so they fully exploit that to stuff their pockets. That's why they are so overzealous about the project.
Activity: 52
Merit: 0
Anyone care to estimate what percentage of core developers are for this move and what percentage are against this move?
legendary
Activity: 1876
Merit: 1000
not to mention being one of the early bitcoin instaminers Gavin scored atleast one $25 million USD windfall i know of Shocked as well as gaining 260k + a year from the bitcoin foundation of awhile......so yeah good to see we've got an alternative to those greedy bankers  Huh

well thats the past but too the future

ummm cough gemini  Wink
Government grants. Hearn is also the son of a wealthy Google investor, so a lot of his ego-tripping is daddy issues. Gavin gets a salary is administrator and also getting paid via grants for research and such. It's A LOT OF MONEY.

So, you believe that a government and a Google shareholder are behind their push for a higher maximum block size?

I only know from the past. I don't know how it's changed since though. But that's how Gavin was paying us (and himself) back then, with grant money. So I'm going to assume it's still their main source of funding.
legendary
Activity: 4438
Merit: 3387
Government grants. Hearn is also the son of a wealthy Google investor, so a lot of his ego-tripping is daddy issues. Gavin gets a salary is administrator and also getting paid via grants for research and such. It's A LOT OF MONEY.

So, you believe that a government and a Google shareholder are behind their push for a higher maximum block size?
Activity: 52
Merit: 0
Just from what I read it would appear that many people consider Mike and Gavin are forking bitcoin not for the benefit of bitcoin but for their own personal benefit. All this leads me to wonder how Mike and Gavin will benefit from the XT fork. Would love to hear some of the experts here give their opinions because up until now I have really not heard anyone supporting the fork.
Pages:
Jump to: