Pages:
Author

Topic: Which Alt-Coin without ASIC is the best to mine? - page 2. (Read 9680 times)

Activity: 214
Merit: 100
After the Ethereum DAO attack. I think it is quite risky to build more farms for mining the Ethereum. It is too risky.
Activity: 238
Can I ask for best settings for r9 280x - 1200/6700mhz? thanx.

1100/1500 works best on my R9 280x - Gigabyte Windforce 3GB models.

higher memory clock = quickly SLOWER mining, higher core doesn't give any better hashrate, lower clocks are a slower taperoff on hashrate.

Other cards may vary, especially other models or other manufacturer cards.

For the 280x, it has 256 memory bus, so it is better to raise the memory frequency. For the 390, 1250 MHz is fast enough.
R9 280x has 384bit memory bus

You are right. Even though the 280x has 384 bit memory bus, it is slower than the 380x now due to the big DAG.
Activity: 326
Merit: 250

higher memory clock = quickly SLOWER mining, higher core doesn't give any better hashrate, lower clocks are a slower taperoff on hashrate.

For the 280x, it has 256 memory bus, so it is better to raise the memory frequency. For the 390, 1250 MHz is fast enough.
R9 280x has 384bit memory bus
i was planning on ordering 5 480s when they launch.. but i just picked up 2 290x for $400.  undervolted / clocked im getting 25mh/sec and the temps and noise are reasonable.  I have a feeling with difficulty increases i may not be in ethereum too much longer.  id rather mine now then wait weeks for the 480s to ship.

That could be a good idea. I will buy some cheap 390. The price is around $300 in my country at the moment.

That is quite good price. I also noticed the old graphics has reduced in price. That could be due to the new graphics card coming.
i was planning on ordering 5 480s when they launch.. but i just picked up 2 290x for $400.  undervolted / clocked im getting 25mh/sec and the temps and noise are reasonable.  I have a feeling with difficulty increases i may not be in ethereum too much longer.  id rather mine now then wait weeks for the 480s to ship.

That could be a good idea. I will buy some cheap 390. The price is around $300 in my country at the moment.
legendary
Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030
Just getting an ASIC *CHIP* designed, taped out, tested, and into production is more like a 6 month process on highly mature process nodes (like 40nm, PERHAPS 28nm) and you're looking at millions to get a significant number made all costs totaled.

Then you get to spend another month or three designing, testing, and getting a miner into production.

Activity: 711
Merit: 500
I just hope the big mining farms will invest wisely and do not ruin the whole mining business for the society.

By whole mining business for society do you mean your 1-2 GPUs?

At the first moment investors believe that ETH deserves a ASIC - it will be build in 2 month
Do not slam nonsense Shocked.
Activity: 16
Merit: 0
Activity: 369
Merit: 101
I do not have any 3xx series AMD cards. Probably will end up skipping that generation entirely.

I think it is better to wait for 2-3 weeks to get the 480 RX. It will consume much less power than the 380.
legendary
I do not have any 3xx series AMD cards. Probably will end up skipping that generation entirely.

390 is pretty much a rebadged 290 with a bios update IIRC - my 290s seem happy at stock 1250 mem clock (I can't underclock the core OR the memory under LINUX due to limitations of ATICONFIG/drivers) and I've been a bit conservative on temps even with the bios upgrade to them from TheStilt so only clocking the cores at 1120 - this is good for right about 30 MH/s so I can't complain especially at the price I paid for them.

STOCK BIOS, they ran best at 1350 Mhs memory clock - apparently the memory timing updates done in The Stilt bios helped the memory throughput a LOT.

Do you also have the 390? I heard that the 390 is a bit more efficient than the 290 .  But I am not sure.
legendary

390 is pretty much a rebadged 290 with a bios update IIRC - my 290s seem happy at stock 1250 mem clock (I can't underclock the core OR the memory under LINUX due to limitations of ATICONFIG/drivers) and I've been a bit conservative on temps even with the bios upgrade to them from TheStilt so only clocking the cores at 1120 - this is good for right about 30 MH/s so I can't complain especially at the price I paid for them.

STOCK BIOS, they ran best at 1350 Mhs memory clock - apparently the memory timing updates done in The Stilt bios helped the memory throughput a LOT.

Activity: 122
Maybe XRE right now.

legendary

legendary
*ROFLMAO*

Takes a LOT longer to design an ASIC - and Ethereum will go PoS before any ASIC for it can reach ROI.

I seriously doubt that ANYONE would be dumb enough to waste the $MILLION(s) to design an Ethereum ASIC - and the bloody thing would be pretty expensive given the RAM requirement to mine Ethereum at all.

I just hope the big mining farms will invest wisely and do not ruin the whole mining business for the society.

At the first moment investors believe that ETH deserves a ASIC - it will be build in 2 month

Do you think there will be ASIC soon? I thought the Ethereum mining algorithm is ASIC resistance.
Activity: 742
Merit: 500

Activity: 274
Merit: 133
Activity: 1022
Merit: 503
eth will be very profitable in the future ,be patient until the day where eth price will compete with BTC

Right after the Sun goes nova and fries the Earth?

(Presuming human civilization lasts that long)

Current-style Ethereum mining profitability will go to ZERO when it moves to PoS - and most folks don't consider PoS to be mining anyway, it's more "earning interest".

PoS will be at least a year away. So we can still mine the Etheruem. But the difficulty is rising too fast.

The difficulty is 42 TH now. A month ago, it was 31 TH, that is 30% in a month. If this rate is kept, in 4 months, most of the miners will not be profitable.
Pages:
Jump to: