Pages:
Author

Topic: Which Bitcoin wallet is the most secure? - page 2. (Read 11988 times)

Activity: 168
Merit: 100
December 19, 2014, 03:34:38 AM
I prefer my trezor and only keep small amounts in my mobile wallet.

Activity: 560
Merit: 506
I prefer Zakir over Muhammed when mentioning me!
December 18, 2014, 09:16:15 AM
I would say Bitcoin Core is the most secure Bitcoin wallet , But it have a lot less feature then the other wallets like importing & exporting private keys & it also download the blockchain file which is big & takes time to do it .

What do you mean? Huh With Bitcoin core, you can import and export private keys easily. And yes, you will need to have atleast ~30+ GB to run Bitcoin core but this will be fixed with the upcoming long waited update. Smiley

If you can afford buying Trezor , just do it ! It is the most secure in my opinion.

You are right. If you can't buy Trezor, you can buy BTChip or Legder wallet. It is cheaper but secure like Trezor but have lower physical security.

If not , and you insist using Desktop wallets , then just go with Electrum , pretty easy to use & you can recover your wallet in case of failure in your computer with 12 words seed

You can also use Multibit-HD or Multibit instead of Electrum. Smiley

~~MZ~~
Activity: 567
Merit: 148
December 18, 2014, 03:54:44 AM
I would say Bitcoin Core is the most secure Bitcoin wallet , But it have a lot less feature then the other wallets like importing & exporting private keys & it also download the blockchain file which is big & takes time to do it .

If you can afford buying Trezor , just do it ! It is the most secure in my opinion.
If not , and you insist using Desktop wallets , then just go with Electrum , pretty easy to use & you can recover your wallet in case of failure in your computer with 12 words seed
December 16, 2014, 12:52:24 PM
I use Armory, but it's only as secure as the OS/computer it's run on.

True but encrypting the Armory and Bitcoin folders with tryecrypt or 7zip would give an extra layer of security. Smiley

~~MZ~~
Activity: 896
Merit: 1000
Seal Cub Clubbing Club
December 15, 2014, 06:31:18 PM
I use Armory, but it's only as secure as the OS/computer it's run on.
Activity: 252
Merit: 250
December 15, 2014, 12:02:19 AM
Now I was curious !! a wallet which load blocks, and does not load blocks

how it works (is that now I have no time to download the portfolio), we that decides if we have time,  it carries the blocks, and so we use it as offline.
otherwise, if we do not have time, use it as online?

You can create many wallet in Armory wallet. You can use one as hot and one as cold. Give some space for cold, so the encryption would be better. Bitcoin core is needed to use Armory online, else, it assume that it is being used as an offline wallet. It will run Bitcoin core in background. There are good back-up options. Try it! Smiley

~~MZ~~
Yesterday I had a very wrong idea about the meaning of a wallet is online and offline.
After seeing the definition could understand and that, indeed, this wallet seems to be very interesting.
I'll instal in my service computer tomorrow
Activity: 322
Merit: 101
December 13, 2014, 06:32:45 PM
I use multbit e Bitcoin Qt.
seem quite safe
December 13, 2014, 05:32:07 PM

how it works (is that now I have no time to download the portfolio), we that decides if we have time,  it carries the blocks, and so we use it as offline.

You can create many wallet in Armory wallet. You can use one as hot and one as cold. Give some space for cold, so the encryption would be better. Bitcoin core is needed to use Armory online, else, it assume that it is being used as an offline wallet. It will run Bitcoin core in background. There are good back-up options. Try it! Smiley

~~MZ~~
December 13, 2014, 04:58:12 PM
I will test, this wallet is off or on?
thanks for the tip

That's the best part. You can either use it as offline wallet or online wallet. Smiley

~~MZ~~

December 13, 2014, 12:45:37 PM
thanks for the tip

That's the best part. You can either use it as offline wallet or online wallet. Smiley

~~MZ~~
December 13, 2014, 12:26:23 PM
for me, just Bitcoin Qt

If you are already using Bitcoin-Qt, then try to install Armory too. Smiley

~~MZ~~
thanks for the tip
December 13, 2014, 12:18:58 PM
for me, just Bitcoin Qt

If you are already using Bitcoin-Qt, then try to install Armory too. Smiley

~~MZ~~
December 13, 2014, 12:00:52 PM
for me, just Bitcoin Qt
Activity: 658
Merit: 500
December 09, 2014, 08:23:35 AM
I think only Trezor wallet is most secure, also easy to use  Grin
Activity: 658
Merit: 500
October 26, 2014, 05:24:19 PM
- Bitcoin Qt
- Armory
- Electrum
- GreenAddress

But Electrum and GreenAddress doesn't need to download the whole blockchain, so I recommend these ones.
legendary
Activity: 1316
Merit: 1003
October 25, 2014, 05:48:42 PM
Tattoo. Wink
Activity: 115
Merit: 19
October 11, 2014, 04:52:03 PM

Paper wallet is most secure though there is some problem such as damages to paper but you can prevent it(most of them doesn't do). Back up phrase are very hard(est) to crack, but still there is a chance, less than 20% maybe. You don't want to really use "change address" feature if you don't know about it. Just use an address, store 90%+ of your BTC there and a small amount in a hot wallet.

~~MZ~~

Thank you for illustrating my point. Change addresses are not optional. If you had significant funds in a paper wallet and assumed that when you spent a portion, the rest would remain on the paper wallet unless you used a "change address feature", then you would have lost your funds.

Also backup phrases (in breadwallet) have 128bits of entropy, so they are as secure as any bitcoin address. Bitcoin uses a 256bit ECDSA curve, and the strength of an ECDSA signature is about half the curve length.
October 11, 2014, 11:20:29 AM
Armory offers an easy way to put your coins into cold storage, which is the safest way to store your coins. Unless you can offer that on your iOS app, you can't say you are more secure.

You can always write down your backup phrase and then wipe your wallet from the phone (it forces you to type in your backup phrase in order to wipe, ensuring you didn't make a transcription error).

Also I've read multiple accounts of people who've lost funds with paper wallets because everyone said that's what to use, but they didn't understand how change addresses work. If you have an HD wallet backup phrase instead of a single address paper wallet, that solves that problem. Even experienced bitcoiners have made mistakes leading to loss trying to manage paper wallets.

Paper wallet is most secure though there is some problem such as damages to paper but you can prevent it(most of them doesn't do). Back up phrase are very hard(est) to crack, but still there is a chance, less than 20% maybe. You don't want to really use "change address" feature if you don't know about it. Just use an address, store 90%+ of your BTC there and a small amount in a hot wallet.

~~MZ~~
Activity: 115
Merit: 19
October 11, 2014, 03:02:46 AM
Armory offers an easy way to put your coins into cold storage, which is the safest way to store your coins. Unless you can offer that on your iOS app, you can't say you are more secure.

You can always write down your backup phrase and then wipe your wallet from the phone (it forces you to type in your backup phrase in order to wipe, ensuring you didn't make a transcription error).

Also I've read multiple accounts of people who've lost funds with paper wallets because everyone said that's what to use, but they didn't understand how change addresses work. If you have an HD wallet backup phrase instead of a single address paper wallet, that solves that problem. Even experienced bitcoiners have made mistakes leading to loss trying to manage paper wallets.
Activity: 21
Merit: 0
October 11, 2014, 01:58:10 AM
Armory is certainly the best when it comes to security. The only thing i don't is that there are too many functions which can get confusing. Good and bad but generally is still the best. Using one right now after completed downloading the whole blockchain

Armory is a great option for people who are security experts and understand how to harden a desktop system against malware. A sandboxed, signed-code-only platform like ios is more secure for non security professionals. It uses the trustedBSD managed access control model for app separation.

Pages:
Jump to: