Pages:
Author

Topic: Which (natural) language should I learn? - page 4. (Read 10615 times)

Activity: 322
Merit: 250
We are bees, and we hate you.
Russian has been pretty fun so far...  Grin

(Not super practical though. Spanish and french are my "practical" suits as of now.)
Merit: 251
FirstBits: 168Bc
So I guess I would by interested in some Spanish literature.

Italian, the closest to Latin of modern romance languages, is directly based on 13th century aristocratic Florentine. Dante Alighieri gathered the various dialects of Tuscany to produce what he thought was the most beautiful language for his poetry, La divina commedia in particular.
administrator
Activity: 5222
Merit: 13032
Gabriel García Márquez' "El amor en los tiempos del cólera" is the most beautifully written book I've ever read. It's a pleasure in English, but...

I've read the English translation of that. It is very good (though kind of strange). So I guess I would be interested in some Spanish literature.
donator
Activity: 980
Merit: 1000
What does this mean?

It means that any common language is similarly rich and complex when taking all variables into consideration. Difficulty adjusts to human capability. As areas of the language grow other areas get deprecated.
I also can't think of any Spanish literature ... which might interest me.

Gabriel García Márquez' "El amor en los tiempos del cólera" is the most beautifully written book I've ever read. It's a pleasure in English, but...

A few lines of Pablo Neruda's poems will make most latin women wet and gringo chicks will wonder what power you wield.

German is good because it's a good step towards many other Germanic languages.

And it is consistently structured, unlike say, English.

All important languages are similarly complex. Languages are shaped by the complexity of culture and thought, and that's similarly complex for all peoples of the world.

What does this mean?
donator
Activity: 980
German is good because it's a good step towards many other Germanic languages. It's not harder than Russian. As with many other languages with complex grammars (basically all major European languages have much more complex grammars than English) the grammar variation allows to make more constructions and you can express more memorising fewer morphemes.

All important languages are similarly complex. Languages are shaped by the complexity of culture and thought, and that's similarly complex for all peoples of the world. However, it's much easier when you have more common ground.
Activity: 420
Merit: 250
bool eval(bool b){return b ? b==true : b==false;}
Learning a language is always a good idea, as it helps to communicate. ... uhm to and with whom?

I would strongly advise against German. The grammar is a nightmare: it has three
genders (Masculine, Feminine, Neutral) and four cases (Accusative, Dative, Genitive
and Nominative), ...
It´s even worse! Natur and grammar can´t agree genderwise. Read "A Tramp Abroad" by Mark Twain to be profoundly convinced. 

... and is spoken by a rather tiny fraction of the world population (Germans and Austrians).
Bugger! You forgot Switzerland ... although ä klisigs Chuchichäschtli is pretty ununderstandable to any native german.
Once you come along northern Germany make sure to know what "Feudel und Leuwagen" is. It is something like "42 and towel" so to speak. But rarely anybody who knows what a Gummmere or Naggebuzzle is will know what you are talking about and vice versa.
Nevertheless german helps you very well through all of europe from Portugal to Montenegro as well as from Norway to Sicily. It is spoken in Belgium and northern Italy, of cause Luxembourg and ... check this out: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/German_language
So far so good, but why bother whilst your english is good enough to by some Schrippen.

Have you considerd Latin or Sanskrit? Ok ... just kidding but still those two have a purpose of their own.
Russian? .... ja nje gawarju pa ruski ... which is the german way to say: I don´t speak russian.
Keep ya ljoobljoo tey ya in mind, the most important sentence in any language.  Grin
Jon
donator
Activity: 98
Merit: 12
No Gods; No Masters; Only You
French. It's simple, light to the senses and Quebec is amazing.
legendary
Activity: 1018
You forgot Quichua spoken by a large portion of the South American Natives
Activity: 740
Merit: 500
Hello world!
Spanish is one of the easiest languages to learn. There are few difficult sounds to pronounce, it's widely spoken, beautiful, with much exposure and many resources (TV, books, net). If you can write Spanish you can speak it, if you can hear it you can read it. Few languages share that bijective property. Spanish has one of the easiest learning curves and does not get difficult until you learn very advanced (beyond conversational) grammar.

Learning any romance language (French, Spanish, Italian, Portuguese, Romanian, Italian, Catalan, etc) will help when learning any other romance. Learning any language at all will give you the mental tools to learn others.

Ease is not the only criteria for learning a language, but if you do plan to learn several languages, starting with an easy language can be a good strategy. I do not think that learning the tones of east Asian languages is a huge barrier. I learned a great deal of Thai (five tones) just listening to audio on repeat while I slept. The Thai people are extraordinarily encouraging and if you can handle being laughed at with, anyone on the street is an enthusiastic teacher. After some Thai, picking up conversational Lao (six tones) was cake. The tonal ear will help with others like Vietnamese (6) and maybe even Cantonese (with nine tones!).

Chinese characters are incredibly difficult will be time consuming to pick up, but learning them can be a fascinating endeavor. Perhaps more rewarding and motivated if you are actually in China (simplified) or Taiwan (traditional). Considering you intend to learn Japanese, you could start with the ~2000 tōyō and jōyō kanji which are shared between Chinese and Japanese (and are essentially the only Chinese characters used in Japan). Japanese has a few distinct sounds and predictable vowels. Mandarin Chinese has a few more phonemes and the added beauty of four tones.

In my opinion, the most fascinating languages are polysynthetic found primarily in the Arctic (Greenlandic) and in native American languages (Navajo, Mayan). But I don't imagine they'll be among your first picks if you're already undecided.
Activity: 740
Hello world!
It all depends on where you are in the world, and where you would like to go in the world.

So take a good look at a map, and a better look at the peoples that speak the different languages, and learn the one that fits you best, both in taste and possibly geographically too.
administrator
Activity: 5222
Merit: 13032
Thanks for the responses! Smiley

Probably Spanish would look best on a résumé, but I almost never meet Spanish-speaking people who don't also speak fluent English (here in Wisconsin), so I'm not sure how useful it would be to me. I also can't think of any Spanish literature or media which might interest me. I feel like I would never use Spanish once I complete the required courses.

Sounds like Chinese is very difficult and likely not very rewarding, so now I'm leaning toward French. There's a ton of French film and literature which might be interesting, and there seems to be quite a few French-speaking people involved in P2P projects like Bitcoin, Freenet, and I2P, so French might be one of the more useful languages for communication I'm likely to engage in.

As a Chinese, I'm willing to remind you that learning Chinese is not that rewarding as learning IndoEuropean languages. You should be prepared that after one year of study, you will be still struggling reading element school level materials, while your friends who chose French are already happily reading Bastiat without any difficulty.

Not because Chinese is intrinsically harder. It's just too different from English in almost all aspects. Smiley

Ah, I hadn't realized learning Chinese would be so slow-going. Being unable to read anything substantial would make learning the language much more difficult, I'd imagine.
legendary
Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570
Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending
legendary
Funny, Spanish is similar to Italian, as well as French and Portuguese... So if you learn one of those Romance languages you have access to pretty much hotties from latin america, spain, italy, and france

Since Spanish, ergo Italian, Prtuguese and now French, can easily be learned via Rosetta Stone, your choices have been greatly narrowed to either German or Chinese. Since you're attending college, you need to make your decision based on the following two images.

Also, the language will make literally make your ears bleed: it is very guttural and anything
but delicate. Wait till the hotties in the picture above start to actually open their mouth to say
something and you will run away scared.

My totally unbiased opinion, of course  Grin

My father is german and my mother speak french. I speak only ~50 german words but a hottie that speak german arouse me.

Mais la même chose se produit à peu prêt dans n'importe quel autre language! / But same things happen in virtually any language!

Bitcointalk is my first forum where I have to write in english. I see myself improving way faster than by only reading it. Smiley

But the German accent is so, so, so... You'll just have to view the video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_VZdQ92pQc
vip
Activity: 756
Merit: 503
Funny, Spanish is similar to Italian, as well as French and Portuguese... So if you learn one of those Romance languages you have access to pretty much hotties from latin america, spain, italy, and france

Since Spanish, ergo Italian, Prtuguese and now French, can easily be learned via Rosetta Stone, your choices have been greatly narrowed to either German or Chinese. Since you're attending college, you need to make your decision based on the following two images.

Also, the language will make literally make your ears bleed: it is very guttural and anything
but delicate. Wait till the hotties in the picture above start to actually open their mouth to say
something and you will run away scared.

My totally unbiased opinion, of course  Grin

My father is german and my mother speak french. I speak only ~50 german words but a hottie that speak german arouse me.

Mais la même chose se produit à peu prêt dans n'importe quel autre language! / But same things happen in virtually any language!

Bitcointalk is my first forum where I have to write in english. I see myself improving way faster than by only reading it. Smiley

legendary

Activity: 700
In 50 years, the majority of the world will speak English, Mandarin (Chinese) or Spanish. The Chinese are teaching English to their youngest generation in a big way. So Spanish will be the most "useful" language to learn.

Spanish is also easier to learn than Chinese. It is pronounced the way it is spelled, and uses the same alphabet as English. Fluency in Spanish will greatly increase your enjoyment as a tourist in Spain, the Canary Islands, most of South America, and much of the Carribean.

Of course, if "usefulness" and "ease of learning" are not your criteria, the field is wide open. French and Italian are beautiful languages, and open up the enjoyment of French and Italian movies. I would not bother with German. It's not an attractive language to my ear, and young Germans speak great English.

Don't discount the bolded part. Not having the hurdle of learning a different character set to get over will speed your acquisition immensely.
legendary
Activity: 1260
Drunk Posts
I took 3 years of German because its very similar to English, thought it was a pretty easy class. Go with Spanish if you want something you'll use more often.
legendary
Activity: 1288
Merit: 1227
Away on an extended break

Learn Chinese if you wanna learn Japanese someday. You won't regret it. The katakana(or was it hiragana?) alphabet for Japanese comes from Chinese. In fact, I don't know Japanese but I could survive for two weeks at Japan - you can pretty much figure out wtf those words are on the signboards if you know Chinese. Most of the similar-looking words have the same meaning. Also, ribuck has a good point there. Many countries are starting to set English as an must-take language in addition to their native tongue.

So ... first, Hiragana and Katakana are the two parts of the written Japanese language that do not
come from Chinese (at least not directly). Both are in fact phonetic alphabets. The part of the written
Japanese language that come from Chinese are the Kanjis.

Second, I disagree that learning Chinese will help you with Japanese. Yes, knowing Chinese Hanzi will help you
figure out what's written around you in Japan, but the languages themselves are *fundamentally* different,
in spite of the fact that they use (more or less) the same ideograms.

Friedcat has a point there - Chinese is damn hard to pick up if you don't have a base. However, most of the kids over my country learn 3 languages here, and some Indians even go to 4 as they learn Indian as their native language. I'm sure you wouldn't have any problems picking another language up.  Wink

Yeah, well.
It depends on your age.
Picking up a new language after 30 is damn hard.
OTOH, if you're in your twenties, you ought to be good.
Best way to learn Chinese: speak it. Even better: find yourself a Mandarin speaking girlfriend.

Oops, derped there with the kanji stuff - guess I do need more sleep.
Pages:
Jump to: