Pages:
Author

Topic: Which OS is the most secure? - page 2. (Read 1177 times)

Activity: 74
Merit: 10
May 30, 2013, 10:25:22 PM
cold storage.. An offline wallet that sends coins to an online wallet that then does the actual transaction.. (BTW Newbie to forum, trying to help Wink)

Edit: or some type of stand-alone wallet hardware, like arduino
Activity: 125
Merit: 100
May 30, 2013, 10:10:26 PM
None... Unless you built your own, from scratch. But Macs and Linux are pretty secure.

Uh.. yeah..  because noone has ever hacked a proprietary OS...

To answer OP's question:

Closed Source:
Windows - bad authentication mechanisms and weak security modle coupled with a traditionally poorly QA'ed code base.
Mac OSX - sad when you can read through freebsd errata from 10 years ago and find exploitable bugs.  Anything you hear about Mac's being secure is purely marketing.  The same way oracle said their database was "unbreakable" 10 years ago.

Open Source:
Linux - highly dependent on distribution and packages installed.   If you enable ASLR (most non-debian based distros do this), non-exec stack & heap, use chrome, trim down the setuids, run minimal services, and partition different tasks (and subsequent access permission's) to different users and/or groups, you can build a pretty secure box.
Pretty much all the other open source OS's are unfortunately poorly maintained in recent years or lack competitive security features.

Activity: 42
Merit: 0
May 30, 2013, 08:59:01 PM
It doesn't really matter which OS you choose - just that you keep it completely offline.   Linux or other UNIX-like os's will be the most versatile and able to be run easily from flash drives and on lightweight hardware.   I like the idea of using Raspberry Pi for a hardware wallet.   Its small, cheap, can be easily firewall if you do want the ability to give it online access.  It runs on flash so its pretty simple to clone.   I recommend using file-system encryption (cryptsetup + luks) to secure it.
May 28, 2013, 04:09:25 PM
Encrypting your wallet will go a long way as well (although nothing is foolproof).

The only secure OS is the one that has never been connected to any network...which kind of defeats the purpose of mining...
legendary
Activity: 1176
Merit: 1255
May Bitcoin be touched by his Noodly Appendage
May 28, 2013, 03:27:51 PM
AmigaOS
May 27, 2013, 06:24:09 PM
Which Operating System is the most secure for having a wallet of BTC? Including immunity to viruses, troyans and so on.

nothing is, just use the OS not many are using which means less people will want to make stuff to compromise it = Linux
Activity: 27
May 27, 2013, 06:23:26 PM
MOD EDIT:
See https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/probable-malicious-site-bitcoin-addressorg-218040 as this site is probably a scam

I can tell you with my own experience, dont save your keys at a server from for example mtgox.com or bitcoin.de. I had 3 BTC on it and they were stolen. Now i made a PaperWallet and have 50 BTC and dont have any problems. I made it at www.bitcoin-address.org and put it in my safe.
Activity: 46
May 27, 2013, 06:18:36 PM
Which Operating System is the most secure for having a wallet of BTC? Including immunity to viruses, troyans and so on.
Pages:
Jump to: