Pages:
Author

Topic: Which Pool ??? - page 2. (Read 2877 times)

legendary
Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198
March 15, 2014, 05:53:11 PM
Yeah, also another reason why p2pool nodes need more love. 33% is very close to 50%
Ok, I don't want to be a chump (did that with Catcoin) but I wouldn't mind throwing a few hundred gh somewhere. What's a good solid reliable p2p node I can point some stuff at while I sit down and compile the software on my NeXTStation Turbo?

I'll let others suggest nodes, but I will say you need more than a few days to evaluate p2pool. It is a small pool (about 0.5% of the whole network last I checked) so it only gets a block every day or two. To give it a fair eval you should be willing to wait a few weeks at least. This isn't really any different from other small pools if you have a few hundred GH. If you want to help decentralize things and not run on a huge pool that finds blocks every hour you have to be willing to accept more variance on found blocks.

legendary
Activity: 3150
Merit: 2257
I fix broken miners. And make holes in teeth :-)
March 15, 2014, 05:40:54 PM
Yeah, also another reason why p2pool nodes need more love. 33% is very close to 50%
Ok, I don't want to be a chump (did that with Catcoin) but I wouldn't mind throwing a few hundred gh somewhere. What's a good solid reliable p2p node I can point some stuff at while I sit down and compile the software on my NeXTStation Turbo?

I'll watch the payout for a few days.

C
Activity: 994
Merit: 1000
March 15, 2014, 05:35:28 PM
lightfoot, the problem of withholding blocks is that if someone else finds a block before you submit it to the network, yours can get orphaned and then you are left with nothing. Risking 25 BTC to try and get a 'head start' on another block wouldn't seem to make sense. And it's all random anyway, partial work means nothing. Your odds of finding a 2nd block are the same whether you report the prior block or hold on to it. I think all you do is hurt yourself.

It's called selfish mining and some guys from Cornell (I think) did a paper on it. You can come out ahead if you are 33% of the network.

legendary
March 15, 2014, 03:42:36 PM
lightfoot, the problem of withholding blocks is that if someone else finds a block before you submit it to the network, yours can get orphaned and then you are left with nothing. Risking 25 BTC to try and get a 'head start' on another block wouldn't seem to make sense. And it's all random anyway, partial work means nothing. Your odds of finding a 2nd block are the same whether you report the prior block or hold on to it. I think all you do is hurt yourself.

It's called selfish mining and some guys from Cornell (I think) did a paper on it. You can come out ahead if you are 33% of the network.

Activity: 490
Merit: 501
March 15, 2014, 01:33:03 PM
Which are the best pools?

All of them.
Activity: 126
Merit: 100
March 15, 2014, 12:51:04 PM
Which are the best pools?
Activity: 83
Merit: 10
March 15, 2014, 10:39:57 AM
With 2 antminer S1's I've used Slush's, Eligius, BTCguild - BTC & Eligius give a very consistent payout, however I've found Slush's pool to give out the same payment but more often than not a little bit more. I think it's all down to share of the pool, obviously with a smaller pool you get a little bit more of the share.
Activity: 434
Merit: 250
March 15, 2014, 10:33:17 AM
legendary
Activity: 3150
Merit: 2257
I fix broken miners. And make holes in teeth :-)
March 15, 2014, 09:59:45 AM
Question: Does a large pool have any advantage over a smaller pool (or a single person with a block erupter) for finding the next block?

Reason I am asking is this: If a large pool has found the last block, they know this before anyone else, and can start working on the next block. Meantime the guy with the BE does not know this and is whacking away on an invalid block. Small advantage, but with blocks being generated every 10 minutes it could add up.

Or is this totally wrong?

C
legendary
March 12, 2014, 11:59:05 PM
Splitting hash is a good idea if you want to reduce variance but also help decentralization using p2pool or at least smaller pools. I set up a mining farm for a friend with some hash on p2pool and some on eligius. If there were a need to further reduce variance, I would add ghash. I would avoid the pools with fees as it is not necessary to pay fees for good pools in the current market.

Activity: 784
Merit: 1004
Glow Stick Dance!
March 11, 2014, 11:28:09 PM
Oh come on, don't suggest people use the 2 largest pools in the world. Smiley

If you have some serious hash power the variance will kill you in the small pools.  And most of the big pools (BTCG and Eligius) are big for a reason... they're the best.

GHash is a different story though and I wouldn't recommend them if I didn't think it made financial sense at least in the short term.  And they are facing some serious competition from massive private pools so they won't be a threat for much longer.
March 11, 2014, 11:22:10 PM
Oh come on, don't suggest people use the 2 largest pools in the world. Smiley
Activity: 784
Merit: 1004
Glow Stick Dance!
March 11, 2014, 11:21:12 PM
BTCGuild seems to be the most stable pool. Yes it has fees but you'll probably make up the difference because of the uptime.  In my opinion, no one gets close to matching BTCG's customer support.

Eligius is good too.  No fees but you're a worthless mooch if you don't tip at least 1%.  I'm not a big fan of the stats though and payouts are often slow because of bugs in their payout system.  You'll get paid but sometimes they run waaaay behind.

GHash.io is a monster and controls a huge percentage of the network hashrate.  No fees and you don't have to feel guilty about it since they make a fudge-load of money from selling hashing power.  It does seem like they have a bit of downtime nearly everyday though.

I split my hash between all three... roughly 1/3 each.  It reduces variance because combined they represent over 50% of the network hashrate.  I like the thought of getting a piece of 50%+ of every blocked generated.  Cheesy
March 11, 2014, 11:17:34 PM
If for whatever reason you don't use p2pool, check out bitparking.com. It's a quality smaller pool that could use more hash power and supports merge mining.
legendary
Activity: 4130
Merit: 1307
March 11, 2014, 06:53:14 PM
In what way can i choose the best Poll? Is there any guideline?

There is no "best pool", only opinions.

True. Some things to look for: Low fees, reliable, benefits bitcoin, secure so their wallet isn't hacked.
Activity: 490
Merit: 501
March 11, 2014, 03:56:54 PM

There is no "best pool", only opinions.
Activity: 112
Merit: 12
March 11, 2014, 05:43:57 AM
legendary
Activity: 4130
Merit: 1307
March 10, 2014, 11:37:57 AM
Also you might want to read this!

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/p2poolcom-support-and-information-thread-504700

you can win 1 hour of 1.7TH/s  because the want to promote p2pool Cheesy

And I think they had a pretty good idea with the extra power

And p2pool is important for bitcoin - helps keep it decentralized so putting hash power towards that goal makes sense.  ;-)

Activity: 994
Merit: 1000
March 10, 2014, 03:40:00 AM
I also run a (0% fee) p2pool node at http://blisterpool.com

Until the end of march, I'm paying out a bonus of 60 dvc per GH/s per day. All you need to do is register your btc address and dvc address pair on the main page and start mining with your bitcoin address. Couldn't be simpler.
legendary
Activity: 1232
Merit: 1002
March 09, 2014, 07:03:18 PM
Also you might want to read this!

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/p2poolcom-support-and-information-thread-504700

you can win 1 hour of 1.7TH/s  because the want to promote p2pool Cheesy

And I think they had a pretty good idea with the extra power
Pages:
Jump to: