Pages:
Author

Topic: Which types of wallet better for bitcoin? - page 3. (Read 1742 times)

Activity: 490
Merit: 389
Do not trust the government
December 09, 2017, 11:12:32 AM
If you don't use core, then they aren't your Bitcoins. It's the same as money deposited in a fiat bank.

If you don't want to tie up 200Gb, then run a pruned node. You lose a few functions, but save a lot of drive space. If you haven't got the drive space available, then use an external SSD.

Good line. I don't have enough knowledge on BTC core too, so that's it. I wonder if that core is consuming a lot of data, and what is the requirements of the PC to run that?
I'm willing to download this.

It is a good line, very eye catching, but a bit incorrect Cheesy
As I said, you and only you still have full control of your coins when you are using Electrum and the drawback is not that big to be honest.
But it is a lot better to run Core for multiple reasons and security,privacy and helping the network is one of these.

Bitcoin Core takes few hundred MB of RAM and couple of tens of KB/s bandwith. The blockchain is around 170GB now, but it is always increasing so I would count around 200GB. However you can have a pruned node that can take as much as space as you define. It doesn't take much CPU power either and when it does it is usually small spikes every 10 minutes or so, when the new block comes.
It will just take some time to sync first time you start it as it needs to download and verify the entire blockchain. This is largely up to your CPU speed and it often take around a week.
Activity: 648
Merit: 502
December 09, 2017, 06:57:06 AM
Which types of wallet better for bitcoin? which wallet better for bitcoin secure

I'm using electrum for years and still using it now, but this is just by having some coins. Like them, I will recommend using Hardware wallet or paper wallet and put that paper where your rats can't reach because some rats ate a part of my seed last month so be careful.

Bitcoin Core is the best if you got around 200GB free space of hard drive to spare. It is most secure and helps the network.

I can't believe i just read that.
In which universe is bitcoin core the most secure wallet? - definetly not in this one.
Every desktop wallet contains the huge risk of being vulnerable to malware of any kind.
Whether if its malware which is directly aimed at this wallet, waiting for you to unlock it just to steal all of your coins, or
if its the 'every-day-'malware (steal clipboard, copy/paste virus, search for wallet files, ... ) which is going around in the wild for quite some time now.

A desktop wallet in a safe environment is fine when storing some coins.. but for anything which exceedes a multiple of the price of a hardware wallet
i wouln't trust any desktop wallet (or any (especially) windows pc).

For everydays use:
Mobile wallet / Desktop Wallet

For anything above X coins (replace x with the amount of coins you would not want to lose to a stupid script kiddy because of a windows or java exploit):
Hardware or Paper wallet
Hardware wallets cost about 60$+ but are pretty handy for everydays usage and Paper wallets are basically free but not that handy when spending funds from them.

I'm just wondering what is the tenacity of hardware wallets in terms of long term use. Even flash drives have a limited time. It would be scary if one day your trezor have some "hardware error"  Huh Huh Huh

If you are looking for a wallet on your PC, then Bitcoin Core is the best if you got around 200GB free space of hard drive to spare. It is most secure and helps the network.

If you don't use core, then they aren't your Bitcoins. It's the same as money deposited in a fiat bank.

If you don't want to tie up 200Gb, then run a pruned node. You lose a few functions, but save a lot of drive space. If you haven't got the drive space available, then use an external SSD.

Good line. I don't have enough knowledge on BTC core too, so that's it. I wonder if that core is consuming a lot of data, and what is the requirements of the PC to run that?
I'm willing to download this.
Activity: 140
Merit: 1
December 09, 2017, 04:25:42 AM

The most of it I keep in Trezor hard wallet, I have some change on mobile JAXX wallet and EXODUS mac wallet.

Activity: 714
Merit: 260
December 09, 2017, 04:23:20 AM
Which types of wallet better for bitcoin? which wallet better for bitcoin secure
personally i prefer Mobile wallet,accessibility ,comfortability and
safety in one.just always make sure your mobile is safe and secure.i use
local wallet COIN.PH here in philippine.maybe you should find one too there
in your country for a better usages of you bitcoin.
Activity: 39
Merit: 0
December 08, 2017, 12:23:24 PM
It actually depends on your location, if you have a country-based bitcoin wallet, then I'd prefer you use it, for me I use coins.ph since I am a filipiino, and I live in philippines so which means that it would enable me to utilize my bitcoins because of the currency, and I'll be able to convert my bitcoins through peso, so I'd suggest finding a wallet that will suit you, and your IP ad
December 08, 2017, 11:59:09 AM
If you are looking for a wallet on your PC, then Bitcoin Core is the best if you got around 200GB free space of hard drive to spare. It is most secure and helps the network.

I do always forget about the pruned nodes. They are a better choice, but I wouldn't go that far as to say that you don't control your bitcoins. For online wallets, yes, but for open source light wallets like Electrum, you still control your bitcoins. Now the state of the network and the balance is not fully to be trusted, but using Bitcoin Core all your connections might be compromised as well. Not the same as new blocks would have to follow the difficulty for a while, but still possible.
Activity: 840
Merit: 128
December 08, 2017, 08:13:48 AM
It depends on what you want to do.
If you want to buy BTC and hold it, a paper wallet is fine for you.
If you want to use it everyday to buy things an app in your phone would be perfect.
A combination of the above plus a wallet in your PC is the best option.
Avoid on line wallets, you don't own the keys and allways backup everything.
Activity: 168
Merit: 100
Decentralized Escrow currency for Crypto world
December 08, 2017, 07:47:56 AM
I am using two wallets from online, both of them have my local currency which I can directly convert my bitcoin, coinbase and coins.ph. So far nothing bad is happening, that's why I guess it is secure. Grin
Activity: 238
Merit: 100
December 08, 2017, 07:15:13 AM

Their are many wallet available in the market. For desktop wallet I would suggest you the bitcoin core. Bitcoin core is the first and original wallet. It is safe and secure but it required lot of space upto 65 GB. another is multibit. It requires only 30 MBs so you can use that. Talking about mobile wallet mycelium.mycelium is one of the safest and recommended wallet. you can surely go for mycelium. If you want online transection then you can go with bit go, green address. Hope it will help you  Smiley
legendary
Activity: 2744
Merit: 2462
https://JetCash.com
December 08, 2017, 04:44:23 AM

Activity: 93
December 08, 2017, 03:48:42 AM
I think you could use blockchain. It is an online wallet and I think it is easy to use as well as easy to spend and received bitcoin.  Grin Grin
Activity: 56
December 08, 2017, 02:18:12 AM
Activity: 168
Merit: 10
Privacy is freedom!
December 07, 2017, 05:43:30 AM
my secure wallet is a paper wallet,for daily trades i use mycelium phone app since a few years.never had any issues with my coins!but everybody works different, so choose your own way how u want to work with ur coins safe.
Activity: 392
December 07, 2017, 03:46:06 AM
Gpx
Activity: 28
Merit: 2
December 06, 2017, 10:11:43 PM
I think we all agree hardware wallets are the only really secure storage.
Mobile, PC, or online is more useful for spending, but you can transfer coins to those wallets in small amounts and reduce your exposure.

Along those lines I just finished searching hardware wallets. There are several, but it really comes down to just 2: The Trezor or Ledger Nano 2

Numerous reviews have pointed out that they are nearly identical in function. Trezor has a slight edge in a more mature interface, but it's slight. The only feature that I've found that is different is that Trezor allows you to create hidden wallets in addition to your regular wallet. This is a feature that might be useful if you were forced to give the password and open your wallet (such as police, border crossing, getting robbed at gun point etc.) You could open the standard wallet with no indication of any other storage. Only you know that it is there. That's a cool feature. Question is is it worth an additional $75

The Trezor  has recently gone up to about $150 (I see people mention it is $100, but not sure where). The Ledger is about $70
December 06, 2017, 02:24:00 PM
Bitcoin Core is the best if you got around 200GB free space of hard drive to spare. It is most secure and helps the network.

In which universe is bitcoin core the most secure wallet? - definetly not in this one.
Every desktop wallet contains the huge risk of being vulnerable to malware of any kind.
Whether if its malware which is directly aimed at this wallet, waiting for you to unlock it just to steal all of your coins, or
if its the 'every-day-'malware (steal clipboard, copy/paste virus, search for wallet files, ... ) which is going around in the wild for quite some time now.

A desktop wallet in a safe environment is fine when storing some coins.. but for anything which exceedes a multiple of the price of a hardware wallet

For everydays use:

For anything above X coins (replace x with the amount of coins you would not want to lose to a stupid script kiddy because of a windows or java exploit):
Hardware or Paper wallet
Hardware wallets cost about 60$+ but are pretty handy for everydays usage and Paper wallets are basically free but not that handy when spending funds from them.

My post clearly starts with "If you are looking for a wallet on your PC, then" Cheesy
That is literally everything that is said before the quoted part, that you just sniped out and now the quote is out of context.
Context matters, bro. Don't snip out parts of my posts.
legendary
Activity: 1624
Merit: 2481
December 06, 2017, 02:03:03 PM

For everydays use:

Hardware or Paper wallet
Activity: 868
Merit: 151
December 06, 2017, 01:12:42 PM
For online wallets Coinbase and Blockchain are good wallets for storing the btc. If you have bulk qty or greater number of bitcoins with you then better to save it in offline. Also if you are keeping in online unless its very less qty ensure that you split the btc in different wallets just for safety.
December 06, 2017, 12:27:54 PM
If you are looking for a wallet on your PC, then Bitcoin Core is the best if you got around 200GB free space of hard drive to spare. It is most secure and helps the network. However if you want a light wallet, you can just use Electrum. They are both open source.
Activity: 5
December 06, 2017, 09:33:50 AM
Cold wallet is the best for me. At least I never connect to the internet when I sign my transactions. This is the most secure way.
Pages:
Jump to: