Pages:
Author

Topic: Which wallet is better, onchain or offchain? - page 2. (Read 1695 times)

Activity: 168
Merit: 100
it's better using the two wallet than using one of them.
Activity: 98
Merit: 10
I honestly haven't heard of any production ready offchain wallets, so I would just eliminate those up front. It is an interesting concept, but hasn't been fully fleshed out yet.

The next question is web wallet vs local. Blockchain.info is a webwallet. The downside to these is that you have to trust that they serve you correct/safe javascript every time you open your wallet. If they get hacked, the bad guy could make their website give you a bad piece of javascript that would steal your password.

The final question is offline (cold storage) vs online. Most people abuse the term cold storage. Cold storage means that your private key NEVER touches a computer that is connected to the internet. Some wallets claim to be support cold storage, but it generates the private key on an online device and imports the private key onto on online device to spend your bitcoin. The only wallet that I have used that truly supports cold storage is Armory, but that is heavy weight and is a fairly advanced tool.

Hopefully this was helpful.
Activity: 574
Merit: 500
blockchain.info offers cold wallet as well. It is more safe. At the creating address page, you can choose what type of address you require.
legendary
Activity: 4060
Merit: 1303
Offline, cold storage for the majority of your funds.  There are a lot of discussions about how to best do this.

legendary
Activity: 1120
Merit: 1000
the better wallet is the one that is ONLY under your control
online wallet must be left with low amounts
legendary
Activity: 1620
Merit: 1000
news.8btc.com
So blockchain.info wallet is onchain one? Right?
As per the D1T1 - Filippo Valsorda - Exploiting ECDSA Failures in the Bitcoin Blockchain analysis, blockchain.info wallet is not that safe?

So what is best option for web wallet? onchain or offchain?
Pages:
Jump to: