Pages:
Author

Topic: Who got paid from scammer Matthew N. Wright famous bet : 0/112 Total 0/79947.58 - page 3. (Read 6371 times)

N12
donator
Activity: 1610
Merit: 1010
Well, I can't say that the most successful bitcoin ventures haven't consisted of hacking, stealing and defrauding people. It's easy, risk free and extremely lucrative. Kind of too good to be true. Grin

If it's true and people don't find a way to make it more risky (find and punish some of the criminals, for instance), I guess Bitcoin would constitute a negative sum game in which all honest participants lose. I wonder how long such a thing could last.
Activity: 952
Merit: 1009
I bet there will be a repeat of the pirate-default. A lot of FUD and then nothing.

Exactly. What will happen when Matt doesn't pay? Nothing at all. And THAT is his lesson to the community.
So the lesson is that people can scam this community without fearing any consequences. Shocked

Yes.
Activity: 532
Merit: 500
FIAT LIBERTAS RVAT CAELVM
The forum post and agreement to enter the bet qualifies as contract. GPG or not doesn't matter.

Contracts need to be signed, or else they're just words.

The signature proves that you agreed to it.

Wow, I'll be sure to never do business with you then if you think this is not a contract, not binding, and not adhering to it is not a scam.

Just make sure I sign any contracts you make with me, and escrow any "bets." Wink

Best practices, in other words.
legendary
Activity: 1792
Merit: 1000
The forum post and agreement to enter the bet qualifies as contract. GPG or not doesn't matter.

You can clearly see his signature, it's to the top left of his post.
N12
donator

Wow, I'll be sure to never do business with you then if you think this is not a contract, not binding, and not adhering to it is not a scam.
Activity: 686
Wat
I bet there will be a repeat of the pirate-default. A lot of FUD and then nothing.

Exactly. What will happen when Matt doesn't pay? Nothing at all. And THAT is his lesson to the community.
So the lesson is that people can scam this community without fearing any consequences. Shocked

Pretty much.

N12
donator

A contract is nothing but an agreement between parties. If Matthew entered the agreement with the intent to never honor it, he is a scammer. Simple.
Matt isn't defrauding anyone, even if he just posts "AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAA!" and logs off, never to be seen again. Welching on a bet is a dick move, but not a scam.
Why the hell do you think this is not defrauding anyone? He defrauded all parties who have entered his contract. He set up the contract with the knowledge that he doesn't have the money and with the intent to never pay out, but pocket possible winnings.

To me, that is clear fraud. A clear scam. But perhaps in libertopia, things are different.

Did you see a contract? I saw a forum post, not even gpg signed.
N12
donator
Matt isn't defrauding anyone, even if he just posts "AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAA!" and logs off, never to be seen again. Welching on a bet is a dick move, but not a scam.
Why the hell do you think this is not defrauding anyone? He defrauded all parties who have entered his contract. He set up the contract with the knowledge that he doesn't have the money and with the intent to never pay out, but pocket possible winnings.

To me, that is clear fraud. A clear scam. But perhaps in libertopia, things are different.
Activity: 728
Who can blame him, he lost a lot of money to Pirate and needs to recoup his losses. Simple really.

I still say this doesn't quite meet the requirements for a "scam." (The conditions of the bet require that if he doesn't pay, he be tagged a scammer, though, I'm not disputing that, or that he should be.) Matt isn't defrauding anyone, even if he just posts "AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAA!" and logs off, never to be seen again. Welching on a bet is a dick move, but not a scam.
N12
donator

Activity: 952
Merit: 1009

legendary
Activity: 1692
Merit: 1018
Whatever happens, it will be fascinating.  Popcorn at hand, waiting for the outcome.
legendary
Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473
LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper

LOL what do you bet? Seems like many still can't put their money where their mouth is.
Activity: 740
Hello world!
Activity: 714
Merit: 502
Who's riX2000 at the top of the list with a 15000 bet? I just did a member search and it shows he registered 2 days ago and has no posts!
Activity: 462
Merit: 250
I heart thebaron
I'd say there is much more transparency in Matthew's bet than Pirate's Bullshit and Trust.

There. You said it, not me.
legendary
Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473
LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper
Are you guys certain that you are clear on the terms of the bet ?

I'd say there is much more transparency in Matthew's bet than Pirate's Bullshit and Trust.
Pages:
Jump to: