Pages:
Author

Topic: Who here is shorting Moneros? - page 3. (Read 7511 times)

legendary
Activity: 1610
Merit: 1183
May 09, 2015, 07:46:57 PM
Shorting is too risky, you make more gains holding long term at the end of the day, or trading for great up and coming projects like Maidsafe. Im aiming at minimum doubling my total BTC stack with in the next months.
legendary
Activity: 1260
Merit: 1115
May 09, 2015, 07:20:03 AM
That's a very old topic - is there a specific reason for bumping it again?

Nostalgia?
Caution: I hope nobody is still doin' this!
legendary
Activity: 1400
Merit: 1020
May 09, 2015, 07:11:09 AM
That's a very old topic - is there a specific reason for bumping it again?

There are definitely more than 2 places to short Bitcoin. At least there's a third exchange: OKCoin + a few discount brokers (Plus500, Xcfd,....) are offering short positions on Bitcoin price.
legendary
May 09, 2015, 07:02:33 AM

Especially so close to 'the bottom'

I guess hindsight is one of those things you really ought to have ahead of time.  Embarrassed
Activity: 126
Merit: 100
November 12, 2014, 02:03:08 AM
I am shorting too, no hard attack yet Smiley

True... I mean I see this rally running out of steam and people are getting too greedy too fast. I always play it safe so I just closed all my long positions at 383 on bitf
Watching closely for a momentum change to maybe open short positions real soon
Activity: 71
Merit: 10
November 11, 2014, 02:17:21 AM
I am shorting too, no hard attack yet Smiley
Activity: 295
Merit: 250
November 10, 2014, 10:10:16 PM
I stopped to short Bitcoin for a while, until things settle down.

I don't wanna have an premature heart attack

Even if you get lucky with a successful short there are only small gains to be had at present. Plus, the odds are you will get unlucky shorting in a rising market.
legendary
Activity: 2520
Merit: 1073
November 10, 2014, 08:37:49 PM
I stopped to short Bitcoin for a while, until things settle down.

I don't wanna have an premature heart attack
Activity: 7
Merit: 0
November 10, 2014, 07:16:44 PM
I have made a lot of money shorting bitcoin many times but have covered always around 300... There are too many companies and retail investors ready to buy many coins below 300 so dips below there will continue to get harder and harder. That's why this dip we only got to 315. I have stopped shorting this month for one simple reason.......

EVERYONE IS TRYING TO SHORT WHICH WILL LEAD TO A HUGE BOUNCE WHEN EVERYONE TRIES TO COVER THEIR SHORT!

Right now short interest is at 62% but the rate of it's rise is slowing down... Also a few weeks ago they literally ran out of bitcoin to lend out to shorters.
Basically for people who don't get how this works, I will explain it is very simple.
Someone lends bitcoin to me at a certain interest rate. I used that borrowed bitcoin with my collateral(more bitcoin) and instead of shorting a few coins I could now short approx 10. I then make a contract with the exchange to BUY BACK those ten bitcoin in the future(hopefully at a lower cost so I profit)
This is where the magic happens... If the price doesn't go down but it goes up instead then I must buy back those ten bitcoin at a loss, at a higher price, and if I wait too long(maybe a $50-100 increase in btc price) they will literally take all your collateral and just place a buy order for the 10 bitcoin right there. This is what is happening everyday now. Literally every order(long or short) will eventually be a buy order for the market! This is how the stock market had many repeated bubbles like we will have here for bitcoin!

More shorters will cover everyday and every rise more shorters will assume this is a ATH and short more but they will have to cover another day. More buyers entering the market while more miners hold for larger gains. Everyday there will be huge jumps up and the snowball effect will now become a moon launch. I really don't think we have built the rocket to the moon yet with the amount of buyer currently in the market but who knows maybe we will soon.

All I know is all I used to do was short bitcoin. I did it again and again every pop, every good news that came out even paypal... but now I am on the long side. I keep seeing us bounce off the 300 level and I see higher lows while the double bottom has been confirmed. I am now 110% long using my margin for a long position now.
Bye bye bears. See you around the 400 level maybe  Kiss

Epic trader. I salute you, sir
Yea shorting bad. No go to moon
legendary
November 10, 2014, 06:34:59 PM
I have made a lot of money shorting bitcoin many times but have covered always around 300... There are too many companies and retail investors ready to buy many coins below 300 so dips below there will continue to get harder and harder. That's why this dip we only got to 315. I have stopped shorting this month for one simple reason.......

EVERYONE IS TRYING TO SHORT WHICH WILL LEAD TO A HUGE BOUNCE WHEN EVERYONE TRIES TO COVER THEIR SHORT!

Right now short interest is at 62% but the rate of it's rise is slowing down... Also a few weeks ago they literally ran out of bitcoin to lend out to shorters.
Basically for people who don't get how this works, I will explain it is very simple.
Someone lends bitcoin to me at a certain interest rate. I used that borrowed bitcoin with my collateral(more bitcoin) and instead of shorting a few coins I could now short approx 10. I then make a contract with the exchange to BUY BACK those ten bitcoin in the future(hopefully at a lower cost so I profit)
This is where the magic happens... If the price doesn't go down but it goes up instead then I must buy back those ten bitcoin at a loss, at a higher price, and if I wait too long(maybe a $50-100 increase in btc price) they will literally take all your collateral and just place a buy order for the 10 bitcoin right there. This is what is happening everyday now. Literally every order(long or short) will eventually be a buy order for the market! This is how the stock market had many repeated bubbles like we will have here for bitcoin!

More shorters will cover everyday and every rise more shorters will assume this is a ATH and short more but they will have to cover another day. More buyers entering the market while more miners hold for larger gains. Everyday there will be huge jumps up and the snowball effect will now become a moon launch. I really don't think we have built the rocket to the moon yet with the amount of buyer currently in the market but who knows maybe we will soon.

All I know is all I used to do was short bitcoin. I did it again and again every pop, every good news that came out even paypal... but now I am on the long side. I keep seeing us bounce off the 300 level and I see higher lows while the double bottom has been confirmed. I am now 110% long using my margin for a long position now.

Epic trader. I salute you, sir
Activity: 126
Merit: 100
November 10, 2014, 09:35:56 AM

Activity: 36
Merit: 0
November 10, 2014, 02:41:13 AM
I don't like to short it, that makes me unsafe.
Activity: 302
November 02, 2014, 01:27:27 AM
I've shorted BTC in the past using BTc-e's metatrader platform. 
Q7
Activity: 448
November 02, 2014, 12:27:22 AM

Those are buying with margins in other words betting on the price movement with money you don't own with just a small sum as collateral. Same like forex which allows you to win a lot or either lose a lot. There are also quite a number of chinese exchangers allowing the same services on buying with margin
legendary
Activity: 1036
Merit: 1000
Thug for life!
November 02, 2014, 12:13:08 AM
I bought some LTC some time, end of December. The value doubled overnight. I sold them all. The value of LTC is now very low, and I don't think it's going back up to it's previous levels any time soon. That would be a long term investment which I'm not willing to take right now.
I would argue that it is a good long term bet to short most alt coins as they seem to tend to always eventually go down
legendary
November 01, 2014, 04:34:39 AM
bitshares allows you to bet against btc by exchanging your btc for bitusd, bit gold or bityuan,  other assets against btc.

you can sell bitbtc short.

Of course at this time,  with the usd on a strong bull run , the best bet would be to buy bitusd and sell bitbtc short.

All this is possible on bitshares platform.  the only thing is if you are short btc and the price rises, you may be forced to cover your short with bts.   bts = bitshares.

I considered the bitusd thing. But it felt so unBitcoin Embarrassed
Activity: 101
Merit: 10
November 01, 2014, 04:25:39 AM
bitshares allows you to bet against btc by exchanging your btc for bitusd, bit gold or bityuan,  other assets against btc.

you can sell bitbtc short.

Of course at this time,  with the usd on a strong bull run , the best bet would be to buy bitusd and sell bitbtc short.

All this is possible on bitshares platform.  the only thing is if you are short btc and the price rises, you may be forced to cover your short with bts.   bts = bitshares.
Activity: 647
Merit: 501
GainerCoin.com 🔥 Masternode coin 🔥
November 01, 2014, 04:19:13 AM
Why?  More like How?  I understand how shorting works in theory, but  has anybody actually tried to short BTC?  I'm having a hard time buying it, much less shorting it.  Any actual experiences appreciated.  Do the exchanges charge interest while you hold the short for example?

Here are 2 exchanges you can use to short Bitcoin-

https://www.bitfinex.com/
https://icbit.se/

I recommend all bears and Bitcoin haters to short the hell out of bitcoin while the rest of us buy.
Remember, Bitcoin is going to 0  Wink so be very aggressive with your shorts.

Do they allow naked shorts?  I bet not.  Meaning you must put up collateral of some sort, and they will give a margin call if the collateral drops below a certain margin?  Otherwise the exchanges are fools.

You put up bitcoins as collateral. If the price falls below the margin you lose your bitcoins. Bitfinex has been around for several years. I have loaned bitcoins to people shorting, it is one of the few ways to make interest on your bitcoins with very little risk.
I would say that this setup would involve you having a EV positive return, however there is still a chance of you losing money if the price moves too quickly against the parties that are borrowing your bitcoin too quickly, as you could potentially lose a good amount of the amount borrowed.
legendary
October 31, 2014, 05:51:03 AM
There are some good opertunities in alts in order to hedge against BTC going down.  I'm really excited about HUC franky Tongue

Dicers all like HUC Cheesy  What's up with that?
legendary
Activity: 3416
Merit: 1912
The Concierge of Crypto
October 31, 2014, 05:36:14 AM
I bought some LTC some time, end of December. The value doubled overnight. I sold them all. The value of LTC is now very low, and I don't think it's going back up to it's previous levels any time soon. That would be a long term investment which I'm not willing to take right now.
Pages:
Jump to: