Pages:
Author

Topic: Who should pay the miner ? - page 2. (Read 2445 times)

legendary
Activity: 1148
Merit: 1001
Radix-The Decentralized Finance Protocol
July 03, 2011, 01:49:23 PM
A miner who stops is likely to cash out too using an exchange.

Please do not get me wrong, I want this experiment to succeed and am not envying old money.

It is just economics. The system has a cost of electricity and hardware, costs have to be reallocated to those benefit.
I see two ways: Transaction costs and Demurrage. It is important to keep transaction costs low for wide acceptance.

It only need to be a tiny cost but it has to be.

Two questions:

1) Why are you so obsess on promoting consumerism inside Bitcoin? (Almost all your posts relate to this idea).

2) What would stop anyone from moving their bitcoins from one account to other so they dont become "old"?. They would not even have to offer almost or at all fee because they dont care if they stay without processing a lot of time (even better because they will be "younger").
Activity: 836
Merit: 1021
bits of proof
July 03, 2011, 01:44:28 PM
A miner who stops is likely to cash out too using an exchange.

Please do not get me wrong, I want this experiment to succeed and am not envying old money.

It is just economics. The system has a cost of electricity and hardware, costs have to be reallocated to those benefit.
I see two ways: Transaction costs and Demurrage. It is important to keep transaction costs low for wide acceptance.

It only need to be a tiny cost but it has to be.
legendary
July 03, 2011, 01:43:15 PM
You dont get tired of throwing this idea around, do you?

If this was implemented Bitcoin would be a lot less atractive, it would not take off and basically wold make mining a lot less profitable.

You would wish it was implemented if miners realize that doing it is not profitable without it and stop securing your old coins.

Honestly, I hope some p2p competing currency to Bitcoin appears, so they go down this route (or inflationary route, or any of the ideas that promote consumerism) so everybody can see how that currency collapses and we are done with all this discussions.

Please, go start your own currency with this system. Thanks to Satoshi and the open source code its very easy.
legendary
Activity: 1596
Merit: 1012
Democracy is vulnerable to a 51% attack.
July 03, 2011, 01:34:34 PM
You would wish it was implemented if miners realize that doing it is not profitable without it and stop securing your old coins.
If they did that, they'd have to stop securing their own coins too.
bits of proof
July 03, 2011, 01:14:31 PM

If this was implemented Bitcoin would be a lot less atractive, it would not take off and basically wold make mining a lot less profitable.

legendary
July 03, 2011, 01:10:41 PM

bits of proof
July 03, 2011, 01:06:59 PM
The miner delivers the computation needed to secure the network.

Who enjoys network security ? In the first place those with significant holdings in BTC.
This makes me think that a demurrage (cost of storage) should be imposed on holdings that is to be distributed to miner.

Note that older transactions (means older money) enjoy higher security and until they do not move disallow pruning the merkle tree, therefore also imposing added bandwith on the network. These observations support a demurrage too.

Demurrage would also foster trade since storing money is associated with cost. Note that if storage cost is benefited to miner, then this is not inflationary and but mining (that delivers value to everyone) more attractive.
Pages:
Jump to: