Pages:
Author

Topic: Who uses "bits"? - page 3. (Read 4172 times)

Activity: 658
Merit: 500
October 06, 2014, 06:04:29 PM
i personally prefer to just say 100 sats than 1 bit. it can be confusing
Activity: 686
fb.com/Bitky.shop | Bitcoin Merch!Premium Quality!
October 06, 2014, 01:12:43 PM
actually bits is little confusing, i think satoshi, µBTC, mbtc still fine and clearly.
legendary
Activity: 1148
Merit: 1011
In Satoshi I Trust
October 06, 2014, 01:06:26 PM
i like it. 1mio bits = 1 btc
Activity: 84
Merit: 10
★Bitin.io★ - Instant Exchange
October 06, 2014, 12:44:37 PM
"µBTC" is kind of unfriendly, as your common person just has no idea what that is.

Most computer/internet users have idea what mili and micro means. At least I hope  Smiley

Most that ever went to school does. At least i hope so.
October 06, 2014, 12:10:12 PM
"µBTC" is kind of unfriendly, as your common person just has no idea what that is.

Most computer/internet users have idea what mili and micro means. At least I hope  Smiley

Also, it's an SI standard, so it would be easier to clarify.
Activity: 193
Merit: 100
October 06, 2014, 10:30:54 AM

October 06, 2014, 10:23:48 AM
Since “Bitcoin” is the name of the currency, calling a SUBdivision “bit” is confusing as hell. “Bit” should be the abbreviation of “Bitcoin” itself, and terms such as “millibit” and “microbit” as the subdivisions.

Why not keep calling the base-unit a 'Bitcoin' or simply a 'coin' - that way the smaller denomination could be called a bit. It is a catchy name, after all!

Because you're giving the same name to two different things, and Bitcoin's name won't change since it's already established.
Activity: 378
Merit: 250
FURring bitcoin up since 1762
October 06, 2014, 10:07:56 AM
Since “Bitcoin” is the name of the currency, calling a SUBdivision “bit” is confusing as hell. “Bit” should be the abbreviation of “Bitcoin” itself, and terms such as “millibit” and “microbit” as the subdivisions.

Why not keep calling the base-unit a 'Bitcoin' or simply a 'coin' - that way the smaller denomination could be called a bit. It is a catchy name, after all!
Activity: 126
October 06, 2014, 10:05:29 AM
Now, it is not necessary at present

it is necessaryi in  the future .
October 06, 2014, 10:04:25 AM
Activity: 378
FURring bitcoin up since 1762
October 06, 2014, 10:03:42 AM
I used to be against the usage of bits, because it already is a measuring unit of information, like everyone is pointing out, but it is a catchy name and isn't that far off - Bitcoin has the term 'bit' in its name, already!
Activity: 70
Merit: 10
October 06, 2014, 09:32:36 AM
Bits are stupid.
Activity: 150
October 06, 2014, 08:47:57 AM
Any complaints about breadwallet?
legendary
Activity: 1734
Merit: 1015
October 06, 2014, 08:44:20 AM
I think it should not be used. Its a µBTC.
legendary
Activity: 3463
Merit: 4429
October 06, 2014, 08:33:24 AM
I use Bits; it's easy, fast and simpel.
legendary
Activity: 3416
Merit: 4658
October 06, 2014, 08:20:35 AM

I challenge you to ask 10 "common people" what a "bit" is.

I also claim that while "µBTC" is somewhat unfriendly, if it is useful it will be softened in a natural way.  People will write "uBTC" often because there is no "µ" on most keyboards.  People may drop pronunciations such as "microbitcoin" or "u-bee-tee-cee" in favour of abbreviations such as "mic" or "ubit".  Someone may invent a currency symbol, probably a "µ" with a bar through it, like ₥ (read: mill) which already exists and means a thousandth of a currency unit.  If the unit becomes really popular prices might be typed as "240 u" or "1500 u" where the "u" is pronounced "yew" or "mics".

If "kilograms" is often abbreviated to "kilos", "millilitres" to "mills", and "gigabytes" to "gigs", then why must we plan what people are going to do about "microbitcoins"?  Can't we simply let the decentralised system which is natural language do its job?

So no.  While I can order a takeaway for 34 mills, paying a transaction fee of 200 mics, I have no need or want to adopt extra terms such as "bits".

Agreed.

I use the term microbitcoins (or occasionally shortened to microbits) and write it as µBTC.

I've encountered people that have shortened "bitcoins" to "bits" when talking about whole bitcoins, so it would be confusing to use the word "bits" in place of "microbitcoins" when talking about a millionth of a bitcoin.

Since I've encountered MANY people that have shortened the word "microbitcoins" to "microbits" when talking about a millionth of a bitcoin, it just adds additional confusion to use the word "bits".

legendary
Activity: 1246
Merit: 1004
October 06, 2014, 06:28:28 AM

I challenge you to ask 10 "common people" what a "bit" is.

I also claim that while "µBTC" is somewhat unfriendly, if it is useful it will be softened in a natural way.  People will write "uBTC" often because there is no "µ" on most keyboards.  People may drop pronunciations such as "microbitcoin" or "u-bee-tee-cee" in favour of abbreviations such as "mic" or "ubit".  Someone may invent a currency symbol, probably a "µ" with a bar through it, like ₥ (read: mill) which already exists and means a thousandth of a currency unit.  If the unit becomes really popular prices might be typed as "240 u" or "1500 u" where the "u" is pronounced "yew" or "mics".

If "kilograms" is often abbreviated to "kilos", "millilitres" to "mills", and "gigabytes" to "gigs", then why must we plan what people are going to do about "microbitcoins"?  Can't we simply let the decentralised system which is natural language do its job?

So no.  While I can order a takeaway for 34 mills, paying a transaction fee of 200 mics, I have no need or want to adopt extra terms such as "bits".
legendary
Activity: 896
Merit: 1000
October 06, 2014, 04:06:48 AM
Why is there no no option?

Do you use "bits" yet as your Bitcoin unit of exchange?

No.
Activity: 336
October 06, 2014, 03:36:43 AM
MyCelium HD Wallet for Android

You can select BTC, mBTC, uBTC and bits
Activity: 140
Merit: 101
October 06, 2014, 03:26:02 AM
I see that people are interested in the "bits" unit; however, given that few applications and services actually use it, how many people are actually using "bits" as their default unit now?
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=592691.480

I'm interested in helping others use this unit as well, so if you know of any services that use "bits", please mention them here. "µBTC" is kind of unfriendly, as your common person just has no idea what that is.

Bitcoin Core (QT) wallet (Desktop):
Technically this uses "bits", but names them "micro bits". To change to use "bits", go to the client's Preferences section, click the "Display" tab at the top, and select "Unit to show amounts in" to µBTC.

Bread Wallet (iOS):
This wallet *only* uses bits. http://breadwallet.com

Bitcoin Wallet (Android):
Also uses bits -- but calls it the unfriendly term "µBTC".
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=de.schildbach.wallet&hl=en
Pages:
Jump to: