Pages:
Author

Topic: Who would like better PHYSICAL storage? - page 2. (Read 1283 times)

Activity: 16
Merit: 0
Paper wallets / hardware wallets + services like SuredBits make it impossible to lose your private key. Cheap & effective IMO.
Activity: 268
Merit: 256
You could also use a raspberry pi, provided that it does not connect to the internet after you generate the private keys on it.
legendary
Activity: 1246
Merit: 1004
A cheap reliable hardware wallet hw-1 goes for 0.07btc, how cheap and how much better is your solution? If your physical storage is cheaper and more convenient to use, a lot of bitcoiners would be interested.

I'm not so keen on this first generation of hardware wallets myself due to the need to trust the hardware wallet company.  I'd be more comfortable if there was companion software that could be used to verify that the device is not manipulating the RNG as you use it to create private keys.  Perhaps we'll see more robust approaches with a second generation of hardware wallets.

In this light, whitslacks graphical calculator program has an advantage.
Activity: 406
Merit: 250
Who is interested in having their Bitcoin savings offline?  I am thinking along the lines of paper wallets where the private key has never been exposed to the Internet.

It's actually pretty easy to generate a paper wallet offline so that the private key is never exposed to the Internet. You could use a paper wallet generator from a trusted website and run it offline or you could do what I did and run a copy of Vanitygen on an offline computer and either write down or print the private key onto a piece of paper. If you would prefer to keep your coins on something more durable then paper then you could alternatively choose to engrave the private key onto a piece of wood or metal:

There are also devices out there which can print paper wallets and hardware wallets like the Trezor which offer offline storage of bitcoins, as well as the ability to verify transactions and even sign transactions offline without the need to expose your private keys.

i find my usb doing a job good as a cold storage, so unless this thing is not much more expensive than a usb, i'll stick with my pen drive

in my case i don't need to do a offline transaction, because i have a good way to know if my pc is safe

Flash media might work well for a few years but exceptions aside, I wouldn't trust it for extended long term cold storage. The electrons can slowly leak over time. Most pen drives will lose some of their data after one or two decades without being powered up.
legendary
Activity: 1512
Merit: 1009
I'm very much interested, but unless you have an amazing idea and quite a bit of funds to make it happen, I can't see what have you got up your sleeve... But I'm open to new ideas, so let's see what comes out of this! Smiley

Also, what kind of physical thing are you thinking about? Physical like coins, or physical like a small machine/storage media?
legendary
Activity: 868
Merit: 1004
Greetings Earthlings,

Who is interested in having their Bitcoin savings offline?  I am thinking along the lines of paper wallets where the private key has never been exposed to the Internet.

Paper wallets are pretty weak, let's be honest.  If someone were to offer you a superior way to keep Bitcoin in offline (PHYSICAL) form, would that interest you?  How much do you think you'd pay for an awesome physical Bitcoin storage product?  I'd like to launch such a product on the market soon.   Wink

I know all about physical Bitcoins such as Casascius Coins.  They seem like a novelty, but not really practical.  What I am asking is: would you be interested in a practical, cheap, superior way of storing Bitcoin physically?

Please be brutally honest!

BTCBTCBTCBTCBTC

Anyone holding a decent amount of BTC is going to be interested in ways ot keep their coins safe outside the menace of the internet. Haven said so, I dont think its really necessary to own anything else beyond a paper wallet and a couple isolated .dat wallet files encrypted and spread across a couple US pendrivers and hard drivers.- Should do the job just fine.
Activity: 672
Merit: 500
A cheap reliable hardware wallet hw-1 goes for 0.07btc, how cheap and how much better is your solution? If your physical storage is cheaper and more convenient to use, a lot of bitcoiners would be interested.
legendary
Activity: 1050
Merit: 1000
 What I am asking is: would you be interested in a practical, cheap, superior way of storing Bitcoin physically?

Who wouldn't be storing their coins in such a way? Having it cheap and practical is what most of us look for.
You could laminate your paper wallet( well you're supposed to) and drop it off at your vault and have multiple copies saved with you.
Something else like the ledger wallet is pretty practical as well, unfortunately it only supports chrome. So you can't always use it on the go
when needed urgently.
legendary
Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069
i find my usb doing a good job as a cold storage, so unless this thing is not much more expensive than a usb, i'll stick with my pen drive

in my case i don't need to do a offline transaction, because i have a good way to know if my pc is safe
Activity: 22
Merit: 1
Greetings Earthlings,

Who is interested in having their Bitcoin savings offline?  I am thinking along the lines of paper wallets where the private key has never been exposed to the Internet.

Paper wallets are pretty weak, let's be honest.  If someone were to offer you a superior way to keep Bitcoin in offline (PHYSICAL) form, would that interest you?  How much do you think you'd pay for an awesome physical Bitcoin storage product?  I'd like to launch such a product on the market soon.   Wink

I know all about physical Bitcoins such as Casascius Coins.  They seem like a novelty, but not really practical.  What I am asking is: would you be interested in a practical, cheap, superior way of storing Bitcoin physically?

Please be brutally honest!

BTCBTCBTCBTCBTC
Pages:
Jump to: