Pages:
Author

Topic: Whose ASIC will start hashing first? - page 2. (Read 3116 times)

Activity: 840
Merit: 1000
September 29, 2012, 03:07:28 PM
Didn't Artforz do a small run of ASICs a long time ago?

ArtForz has developed sha256 ASICs and let them (100 pieces) manufacturing for about $500/engine. This ASICs beats 5970 on hash/W by a factor of 6 but loses to 5970 on hash/$ by about a factor of 3, he said. These ASICs are not exactly a real standard cell ASIC but "metal-layer defined ASIC, basically FPGA without the FP part" (source: #bitcoin-dev).

What kind of ASIC is it?  Is this a custom PCI card?  Would higher production volumes improve the price point?  I'm interested in this, as a purpose made PCI card would be as big a boon as buying an expensive GPU.

ArtForz expect the arrive in february:
https://stuff.caurea.org/irssi/freenode/%23bitcoin-dev/2010/12/%23bitcoin-dev-2010-12-20.log : 18:36

Maybe the first step to develop a ASIC is this vhdl code. I don't believe that ArtForz will give us his code. If we put money together, maybe we could have enough money to let manufacturing a real ASIC.
Activity: 756
Merit: 501
There is more to Bitcoin than bitcoins.
September 28, 2012, 11:11:31 AM
Who will be hashing first, not shipping first. BFL has announced they will be "burning in" their product, and I am not sure what they will do with the profits. Bitfountain plans to mine first until the initial investment has been recovered, and only sell afterwards.
Pages:
Jump to: