Pages:
Author

Topic: Why 51% hashrate is a good thing - page 2. (Read 2812 times)

Activity: 518
Merit: 250
June 13, 2014, 10:28:05 AM
if a single entity contributed the majority of the network’s mining hashrate, they would have full control of the network and would be able to manipulate the public ledger (blockchain) at will.  http://learncryptography.com/51-attack/

This is just wrong. Having 51% (or better: 50,0001%) just opens up the possibility of pushing through a fork, e.g. double-spending your own(!) coins.
And there's no way they could do so in secret. Hell would break loose within hours if not minutes. Ghash.io could only hurt itself
with such an attempt.

To have full control and freely manipulate the public ledger you need 100% and all private keys.

I understand that it looks a bit nasty that ghash.io grew that big, but I don't see how this poses a serious threat at this point..

I'd have to agree with you for the time being.  Obviously, it's not good to "trust" any site. But i highly doubt anything will happen. They're making WAY too much money off having this much control of the network.

ok, had copied it from the site  Smiley Makes sense they can't spend the money without owning the private keys
Activity: 448
June 13, 2014, 10:27:37 AM
if a single entity contributed the majority of the network’s mining hashrate, they would have full control of the network and would be able to manipulate the public ledger (blockchain) at will.  http://learncryptography.com/51-attack/

This is just wrong. Having 51% (or better: 50,0001%) just opens up the possibility of pushing through a fork, e.g. double-spending your own(!) coins.
And there's no way they could do so in secret. Hell would break loose within hours if not minutes. Ghash.io could only hurt itself
with such an attempt.

To have full control and freely manipulate the public ledger you need 100% and all private keys.

I understand that it looks a bit nasty that ghash.io grew that big, but I don't see how this poses a serious threat at this point..

I'd have to agree with you for the time being.  Obviously, it's not good to "trust" any site. But i highly doubt anything will happen. They're making WAY too much money off having this much control of the network.
legendary
Activity: 2380
Merit: 1209
The revolution will be digital
June 13, 2014, 10:25:28 AM
In the pie chart below, I dont see deepbit anywhere around at this moment. What happened to them ?
They are history, and for a reason. They still owe me coins, I never got an answer to
my mails. I think at some point the owner decided to completely stop caring about his pool.

Can u please point me a link to that history ? Were they on this forum ? I would like to know more about them...
legendary
Activity: 1022
Merit: 1004
June 13, 2014, 10:21:39 AM

with such an attempt.

legendary
June 13, 2014, 10:08:21 AM
May I understand, why there is a panic of 51% hash rate reached, I still can't get the point.

Suppose u & me has made a deal that I'll give u 1 BTC and u'll sell me a website. Now, if I have understanding with the 51% hash power holder GHash.IO, I can send u 1 BTC, take your website's credentials, again send 1 BTC to GHash.IO. GHash.IO will accept the 1 BTC I sent to them and not u. Now they can send me back 0.5 BTC. So, in effect I get my job done with 0.5 BTC, whereas I am supposed to pay 1 BTC.
Activity: 518
June 13, 2014, 10:02:37 AM
May I understand, why there is a panic of 51% hash rate reached, I still can't get the point.

GHash is at 45% now  https://blockchain.info/pools?timespan=6hrs
Activity: 252
June 13, 2014, 09:57:14 AM
legendary
Activity: 1022
Merit: 1004
June 13, 2014, 09:55:54 AM
In the pie chart below, I dont see deepbit anywhere around at this moment. What happened to them ?
They are history, and for a reason. They still owe me coins, I never got an answer to
my mails. I think at some point the owner decided to completely stop caring about his pool.
Activity: 728
Merit: 500
June 13, 2014, 09:54:02 AM
I have to sell some bitcoin for peercoin now for avoiding some risk. Hopefully we can get through.
legendary
June 13, 2014, 09:34:03 AM

legendary
June 13, 2014, 09:31:07 AM
I know everyone is freaking out and alarm bells should be ringing, but correct me if im wrong there has never been a 51 hash rate reached before? If so its perfect timing that this is happening now, we get to see with our own eyes what happens with the protocol once a 51% hashrate is reached before Bitcoin goes mainstream. Its all part of the experiment. Im sure this issues will be resolved and we may never reach 51% again. In the mean time the price is dropping as people are panic selling. I say now is the time to buy Smiley At the bare minimum HODL!

I am reading how this issue can be resolved - by Gavin
donator
Activity: 2058
Merit: 1054
legendary
Activity: 1260
Merit: 1029
June 13, 2014, 09:18:58 AM
I know everyone is freaking out and alarm bells should be ringing, but correct me if im wrong there has never been a 51 hash rate reached before?
Not true, happened before....noone exploded or died because of it....
Activity: 43
Merit: 0
June 13, 2014, 09:18:47 AM
Wouldn't this also be a good opportunity to implement any changes for efficiency issues to the protocol now that mining power is cornered?
Activity: 43
Merit: 0
June 13, 2014, 09:16:12 AM
I know everyone is freaking out and alarm bells should be ringing, but correct me if im wrong there has never been a 51 hash rate reached before? If so its perfect timing that this is happening now, we get to see with our own eyes what happens with the protocol once a 51% hashrate is reached before Bitcoin goes mainstream. Its all part of the experiment. Im sure this issues will be revolved and we may never reach 51% again. In the mean time the price is dropping as people are panic selling. I say now is the time to buy Smiley At the bare minimum HODL!
Pages:
Jump to: