Pages:
Author

Topic: Why are you still mining? - page 4. (Read 4049 times)

legendary
Activity: 1094
Merit: 1006
November 29, 2012, 11:53:44 PM
A) I don't have to pay for electricity, so as far as I'm concerned I'm generating free money
B) In the long term, if Bitcoin gets increasingly used, a Bitcoin will be worth significantly more than it is now
legendary
Activity: 4326
Merit: 3041
Vile Vixen and Miss Bitcointalk 2021-2023
November 29, 2012, 10:18:12 PM
it's not profitable even with free energy
Say what? Last time I checked, bitcoins were worth something. Free energy costs nothing. How does something - nothing = not profitable? Huh
mjc
Activity: 588
Merit: 500
Available on Kindle
November 29, 2012, 09:50:14 PM
Who says it is not profitable?  In most cases the rigs running today are paid for.  So every BTC earned is additional profit.  When ASIC's hit, then the GPU or FPGA Rigs might not be profitable unless they get free energy. 

The other concept to keep in mind is that the your mining rig is generating BTC not USD or EUR or the such.  So, if you mine, in hopes that the BTC will go up, then you could cash out in the future at much higher exchange rates.

I hope this helps. :-)
Activity: 9
Merit: 0
November 29, 2012, 09:43:34 PM
http://blockchain.info/charts/hash-rate?timespan=180days&showDataPoints=false&daysAverageString=1&show_header=true&scale=0&address=

I don't get it, why are people mining like crazy, even tough it's not profitable even with free energy?

It's time to pack up your gpu's and head home guys!
Pages:
Jump to: