Pages:
Author

Topic: Why Bitcoin Core needs to die - page 2. (Read 2334 times)

legendary
Activity: 2296
Merit: 1014
August 24, 2015, 04:58:36 PM
By me core don't need to die. It is really well handled. They will adapt changes slower than other clients, but they will Smiley
legendary
Activity: 1162
Merit: 1004
August 24, 2015, 04:23:50 PM
how can you say : There no urgent need for increasing the block size limit.
and then follow with: The network only has problems
Because:
  • 8 MB blocks might not be enough during future peak times
  • 8 MB blocks are not enough to handle a stress test either

Essentially, almost nothing will be resolved. Learn the definition of the word urgent. Having a problem constantly would result in this being a urgent change, which it is not.

I think it's easy to show that this claim is false.
-snip-
By using a estimate of the future growth pattern? This is not evidence and will most likely be wrong.

Around the last halving (Spring 12 - Spring13) the number of transactions increased tenfold.
Activity: 196
Merit: 100
August 24, 2015, 04:09:19 PM
...snip...

I think we should wait until shit hits the fan.

I disagree of using future growth pattern but i like to use the word "sustainable" purely pulled out of my ass.

Quite a display of logic you got there.
legendary
Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965
Terminated.
August 24, 2015, 03:58:44 PM
Because:
  • 8 MB blocks might not be enough during future peak times
  • 8 MB blocks are not enough to handle a stress test either

Essentially, almost nothing will be resolved. Learn the definition of the word urgent. Having a problem constantly would result in this being a urgent change, which it is not.

I think it's easy to show that this claim is false.
-snip-
By using a estimate of the future growth pattern? This is not evidence and will most likely be wrong.

In my opinion, a credible plan to increase the block size limit was urgent several months ago.  
Yes, a sustainable one was. A doubling every two years is not sustainable.

Update:
Around the last halving (Spring 12 - Spring13) the number of transactions increased tenfold.
You're expecting this to happen again. We shall see.
legendary
Merit: 1007
August 24, 2015, 03:52:55 PM
I'm going to ask you nicely to stop spreading misinformation and deceiving the people around us. There is no urgent need for increasing the block size limit.

I think it's easy to show that this claim is false.  For example, if the average block size continues to grow at its historical rate, then we will bump into the limit right around the earliest activation date for BIP101:

In my opinion, a credible plan to increase the block size limit was urgent several months ago.  
legendary
Activity: 1904
Merit: 1037
Trusted Bitcoiner
August 24, 2015, 03:50:34 PM
People would be pro-XT if they delivered a better solution, but they don't and they want to put all those dodgy "features" against privacy, thats why XT must die and not Core. Core is not perfect but with time Bitcoin will improve. We don't need to rush bigger blocks at all.

Yes we do.
-snip-
I'm going to ask you nicely to stop spreading misinformation and deceiving the people around us. There is no urgent need for increasing the block size limit.
The network only has problems:
  • during some peak times
  • during a spam attack/stress test

The average block size is not even 0.5 MB.

Bitcoin Core does not need to die. People are very weird when it comes to this debate. They talk about centralized control, but how is taking the power from a group of people and giving it to 2 individuals progress?

its not a problem that there are problems because the problems only happen some of the time, of course the problem will become bigger problems in a few months but thats not a problem!

legendary
Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965
Terminated.
August 24, 2015, 03:47:42 PM
People would be pro-XT if they delivered a better solution, but they don't and they want to put all those dodgy "features" against privacy, thats why XT must die and not Core. Core is not perfect but with time Bitcoin will improve. We don't need to rush bigger blocks at all.

Yes we do.
-snip-
The network only has problems:
  • during some peak times
  • during a spam attack/stress test

The average block size is not even 0.5 MB.

Bitcoin Core does not need to die. People are very weird when it comes to this debate. They talk about centralized control, but how is taking the power from a group of people and giving it to 2 individuals progress?
legendary
Activity: 1302
Merit: 1008
Core dev leaves me neg feedback #abuse #political
August 24, 2015, 02:06:26 PM

Yes we do.

staff
Activity: 3458
Merit: 6793
Just writing some code
August 24, 2015, 01:58:43 PM
I will run core even if i'm the only one running the node and I'll mine my own blocks and would rather use fiat over xt.
You might say.. " oh come on bro.. you're being irrational!!"

No,..no.. I am not. The reason I got into bitcoin, was not so i can buy coffee with my phone! It was so i can be a part of "new money", one which is not controlled by anyone.
It seems like TPTB have managed to take over some of the figure heads and are using them to gain control over bitcoin. You can't shut down TCP/IP, but you can bribe/threaten, Gavin.

Have fun with your GOV... Gavcoin.

Not controlled by anyone but a bunch of Core devs? Bitcoin is not controlled by anyone indeed and XT is demonstrating just that.
XT is controlled by Hearn and Gavin and them only. Core is controlled by the core devs, which includes a lot more than two people, so I would say that Core is more decentralized than XT right?

Talking about Bitcoin itself though, then yes it is not controlled by anyone and the multiple forks of Bitcoin (including xt) and alternative clients all demonstrate that.
Activity: 743
Merit: 502
August 24, 2015, 01:56:18 PM
I will run core even if i'm the only one running the node and I'll mine my own blocks and would rather use fiat over xt.

No,..no.. I am not. The reason I got into bitcoin, was not so i can buy coffee with my phone! It was so i can be a part of "new money", one which is not controlled by anyone.
It seems like TPTB have managed to take over some of the figure heads and are using them to gain control over bitcoin. You can't shut down TCP/IP, but you can bribe/threaten, Gavin.

Not controlled by anyone but a bunch of Core devs? Bitcoin is not controlled by anyone indeed and XT is demonstrating just that.

we are clearly looking at two completely different things.

legendary
Activity: 1372
Merit: 1000
--------------->¿?
August 24, 2015, 01:51:16 PM

legendary
August 24, 2015, 01:40:11 PM
I'm inclined to believe that they support XT and BIP101 simply because it is the only production code available that implements big blocks, which they all support. If someone creates different code that also implements big blocks (such as BIP 100) then we would have both more choice and that these companies would not stick to XT.

Agreed!  I'd like to see the Core Team create a branch that includes BIP101; let their user base decide which to run.
Activity: 743
Merit: 502
August 24, 2015, 01:39:37 PM

staff
Activity: 3458
Merit: 6793
Just writing some code
August 24, 2015, 01:29:05 PM
This morning we had a broad show of support for BIP101 (Gavin's proposal) from several major Bitcoin companies:

Source: http://blog.blockchain.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/Industry-Block-Size-letter-All-Signed.pdf
I'm inclined to believe that they support XT and BIP101 simply because it is the only production code available that implements big blocks, which they all support. If someone creates different code that also implements big blocks (such as BIP 100) then we would have both more choice and that these companies would not stick to XT.
Activity: 56
Merit: 0
August 24, 2015, 01:02:43 PM
I think that once the bitcoin core is forked it should be removed from github. The developers need to make a final change and final version so people can't mess with the bitcoin core and change the path of bitcoin. This way bitcoin will stay more decentralized.

Yeah you know what: the raftsmen were very decentralized too - and due to techical evolution they are long gone.
Beeing "decentralized" does not mean that you can stop to evolve and to become better over time....

I agree but if people can change the bitcoin core, then its not decentralized anymore. As you said 3 of 5 bitcoin core developers are bought out from a company , and they will do what the company tells them to. They will change the bitcoin core so the company benefits and not the bitcoin community. We should remove any right to change or modify the bitcoin protocol from one or more people.

I agree needs stability and more centralization. People will be satisfied and only increase the number of users Smiley
legendary
August 24, 2015, 12:43:34 PM
This morning we had a broad show of support for BIP101 (Gavin's proposal) from several major Bitcoin companies:

Source: http://blog.blockchain.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/Industry-Block-Size-letter-All-Signed.pdf
Activity: 157
Merit: 103
Salí para ver
August 24, 2015, 12:37:13 PM
legendary
Activity: 3724
Merit: 3063
Leave no FUD unchallenged
August 24, 2015, 12:25:04 PM
So forget the personalities involved.  Forget what the names of the clients are.  Forget how the development teams are organised.  We're placing too much emphasis on that.

I agree with many things you say and i feel that its to much about personalities either. What i totally disagree is that we are placing to much emphasis on how the team is organized. For me that is one of the most underdiscussed topics at all. You can NOT run (sportsteam, company, whatever project) with a 100% consensus- culture. That is a recipe for disaster.

You can certainly try to run with 100% consensus, but clearly all it leads to is a split when someone does eventually disagree.  Such a split isn't a disaster (despite how the community seem to be reacting to it).  It just means we now get a choice we wouldn't have otherwise had.  

If devteam "A" have a group leader who makes all the decisions, we only get one client.

If devteam "A" have 100% consensus and all the devs agree, we only get one client.

If devteam "A" have 100% consensus but can't all agree, we get devteam "B" and two clients.

So in effect, a split can be a good thing, which is what happened here.  Now we have a choice.  Choice is good (although apparently controversial).  That's why it doesn't matter how development teams are organised.  The important thing is that the proposal gets created and we get to choose which code to run.  It's possible that the two current proposals we have don't cover the myriad of views expressed on this issue, so we may need a few more options to choose from.

BNO
Activity: 157
Merit: 100
August 24, 2015, 12:03:32 PM
So forget the personalities involved.  Forget what the names of the clients are.  Forget how the development teams are organised.  We're placing too much emphasis on that.

I agree with many things you say and i feel that its to much about personalities either. What i totally disagree is that we are placing to much emphasis on how the team is organized. For me that is one of the most underdiscussed topics at all. You can NOT run (sportsteam, company, whatever project) with a 100% consensus- culture. That is a recipe for disaster.
Activity: 770
Merit: 509
August 24, 2015, 11:57:34 AM
Pages:
Jump to: