Pages:
Author

Topic: Why Bitcoin Is So Volatile - page 13. (Read 1265 times)

Activity: 12
Merit: 1
February 10, 2018, 06:48:42 PM
I don't buy that argument that Bitcoin is volatile because it has no intrinsic value to be backed upon. Nothing is backed by anything substantive! Fiat is backed by the monopoly power of the state, gold is backed by the social capital given to it. If Bitcoin's lack of physical asset backing was a problem, all currencies would be volatile.

Bitcoins volatility is not new in financial history. Earlier forms of currency like tobacco used in the early American colonies were much more volatile. Bitcoin's instability is just a demonstration of the market. Hype led to speculators buying up the supply, and scares by regulators and panic sellers caused price drops.

There is nothing intrinsic in Bitcoin, besides maybe slow and expensive transactions coming to the fore, that makes it volatile. It is a commodity, and like any commodity, is a slave to market forces - let it be euphoria or panic.
Activity: 2884
Merit: 794
I am terrible at Fantasy Football!!!
February 10, 2018, 06:35:16 PM
Not really I read it and it is the same old argument, saying that bitcoin does not have value at all, but maybe we are all imagining the huge amount of money invested by the miners to mine bitcoin and the technology behind bitcoin which solved several problems that until that point were not solved, the volatility comes from mainly two factors the uneven demand for bitcoin and its limited supply.
Activity: 108
Merit: 2
Pages:
Jump to: