Pages:
Author

Topic: Why building games on top of blockchain technology? - page 2. (Read 294 times)

Activity: 140
Merit: 13
First Payment Gateway using GoldBacked cryptocurre
I guess the best example as to why is cryptokitties. Owning a decentralized cat for instance means developers can't suddenly in the future decide to edit its breeding ability or whatnot, the cat remains immutable. Same will be the case for other game objects.
legendary
Activity: 2954
Merit: 2145
Hey guys,

I don't understand what benefit are for a game to be built on top of blockchain technology, makes it really sense? what benefits are there? What is exactly stored on the blockchain? User game info?

Thanks

Currently, game objects are stored in centralized and closed databases, so with blockchain those objects (like currency, items, comsetics etc.) could be stored on blockchain, which is a public and distributed environment.
However, a game has to be open source to benefit from the blockchain, and be very lightweight so running a game server would be cheap. Without those two requirements blockchain loses almost all its benefits - game objects are only useful if you have access to the game, and this is usually under full control of the company who runs this game. Blockchain can be used as a proof that all in-game item are created according to the rules, i.e. the company is not creating them out of thin air to sell for money to players, but for this to work users who want to verify it have to run a full node, which can be very cumbersome if there's a high amount of transasction (not only p2p, but also events like item drops). If players are connected to the blockchain via SPV client, it's pretty much useless, because they can't verify all the rules of blockchain.
Activity: 2
Merit: 0
In recent years, games have entered the markets using Blockchain features such as wallets or tokens to secure and back in-game items. This way players have more ownership of the items or currency they loot and purchase. With a Blockchain record, players are guaranteed ownership which gives their items value to both the owner and other players.

legendary
Activity: 1904
Merit: 1073
Take this game as an example ---> https://www.augmentorsgame.com/

Every creature will be backed by the Blockchain, allowing users to truly own their assets within and out of the game.

The Blockchain will help with the proof of ownership and also the transfer of ownership.  Grin
Activity: 142
Merit: 13
Hey guys,

I don't understand what benefit are for a game to be built on top of blockchain technology, makes it really sense? what benefits are there? What is exactly stored on the blockchain? User game info?

Thanks
Pages:
Jump to: