Pages:
Author

Topic: Why can't I compile the bitcoin source code? - page 2. (Read 895 times)

legendary
Activity: 1512
Merit: 7340
Farewell, Leo

These are the files? I'm curious of how to run them. I haven't run an executable on linux before. What extension do they have? (if they don't have .exe)
staff
Activity: 3458
Merit: 6793
Just writing some code
This is after make. Is it over? Are the files somewhere? It says that they are made in doc/man but this is what I get when I go there:
Most of the binaries can be found in src/ (i.e. src/bitcoind, src/bitcoin-tx, etc.). bitcoin-qt is in src/qt/bitcoin-qt.

That log line is saying that it entered doc/man and did something there. It does not mean that the build results are there, just the build results of the steps it did there.
legendary
Activity: 1624
Merit: 2481
Yes, you are done.
make finished without errors. The binaries should be in your directory where you executed the command. In your case, that is: ~/bitcoin-master/ ~/bitcoin-master/src/

The output actually does not mean that "all" files are in doc/man.
legendary
Farewell, Leo

This is after make. Is it over? Are the files somewhere? It says that they are made in doc/man but this is what I get when I go there:

legendary
This is what I get on ./configure

I tried the --with-incompatible-bdb but it doesn't seem to do anything.

--with-incompatible-bdb is a paremeter which needs to be passed to configure. It is not a command on its own.

If you want to use that parameter, you need to execute:

Code:
./configure --with-incompatible-bdb
legendary
Farewell, Leo

This is what I get on ./configure

I tried the --with-incompatible-bdb but it doesn't seem to do anything.
legendary
I did the command you told me. All of these were installed successfully. Now I'm building it with:

Code:
./autogen.sh
./configure
make

Well this is what it returns:

~snip~

Did you read and follow the Instructions?

Ubuntu and Debian have their own libdb-dev and libdb++-dev packages, but these will install BerkeleyDB 5.1 or later. This will break binary wallet compatibility with the distributed executables, which are based on BerkeleyDB 4.8. If you do not care about wallet compatibility, pass --with-incompatible-bdb to configure.

Do you have libdb-dev and libdb++-dev installed?
If not, install them:

Code:
sudo apt-get install libdb-dev libdb++-dev
legendary
Farewell, Leo
I did the command you told me. All of these were installed successfully. Now I'm building it with:

Code:
./autogen.sh
./configure
make

Well this is what it returns:

legendary
Activity: 3290
Merit: 3092
How much experience have you had in the past with coding/compiling on Linux based systems?

Hello BlackHatCoiner, is important to install all the dependencies you need before installing the program, for that try with:

Code:
$ sudo apt-get install build-essential libtool autotools-dev automake pkg-config libssl-dev libevent-dev bsdmainutils python3 libboost-all-dev

With that then you shouldn't have problems to compile the core... but if you still having problems, the i would like to recommend you to install and not compile. Here is the step by step:

https://hackernoon.com/a-complete-beginners-guide-to-installing-a-bitcoin-full-node-on-linux-2018-edition-cb8e384479ea
HCP
legendary
Activity: 2086
Merit: 4318
How much experience have you had in the past with coding/compiling on Linux based systems?

Well... I guess you're not doing too badly for someone with zero experience! But it does explain a few things. Wink

Note, I'm not sure that diving headfirst into attempting to compile Bitcoin Core as your "first project" is the best way to learn the in's and out's of compiling on Linux Undecided But we'll take a stab at it.

Essentially, run configure and see what it tells you is missing, then do what you need to fix that issue... at this point, it seems that simply executing ./configure with the appropriate settings as per the output from building the BerkeleyDB libs should fix your current problem. I'd expect (assuming that you already installed all the required libs and dependencies here: https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/blob/master/doc/build-unix.md#ubuntu--debian) that it would complete without error and you should be able to use make
legendary
Farewell, Leo

HCP
legendary
For starters, you ignored the message given here:

It said that you needed to run the "export" and then then "./configure" commands to set the BDB_LIBS and BDB_CFLAGS values... you didn't. Which then meant that when you attempted to run the ./configure as part of the build process... it failed here:

With the error saying that it could not find libdb_cxx headers. Roll Eyes

From the video, it seems that you are just copy/pasting commands from the build-unix.md instructions without fully understanding what they are meant to be used for, nor which ones you actually need to use. You're not meant to use every single command... some of them are for specific setups/configurations etc. It also seems like you're not really reading/understanding some of the output and what it means either.

How much experience have you had in the past with coding/compiling on Linux based systems? Huh
legendary
Farewell, Leo
https://youtu.be/cOC70UoP4v0

Am I the only one that thinks the build-unix.md is too complex? Can someone give me a hand here? What am I doing wrong?
legendary
Farewell, Leo
I'm not using Ubuntu on VM. I've installed the OS with a bootable usb from a youtube tutorial. It "ate" 28GB of storage, I didn't expect so much  Tongue

Anyway, I'm going to try compile bitcoin core from there. No I don't want to be a node, I want to create an altcoin, just for fun. The problem is that it is much more complex than I thought...
legendary
Activity: 2170
Merit: 1789
If I install Ubuntu 18.04 on a 2TB external Maxtor disk will the OS go slower?
If you compare it to runnig it from internal SSD drive with 6GB/s throughput, then it is likely going to be way slower, but still usable for mose use case. If you plan to use it to host your full node, consider buying a separate SSD for your OS and use the HDD (if you can't afford SSD) for your blockchain data.
HCP
legendary
Which OS? Ubuntu run natively... or Windows with Ubuntu in a VM? Huh

If you're running Ubuntu natively from an external disk, it'll likely run slower from an external disk than from an internal one depending on interfaces being using USB vs USB2 vs USB3 etc and also due to the fact that your 2TB drive is more than likely an HDD and not an SDD.

If it's in a VM, it'll always run slower than it would natively... having said that, if you're just wanting to use it to compile Bitcoin (as per the thread), then running Ubuntu in a VM is "OK"... I run Ubuntu with Oracle Virtual Box on an i5-3570k with only 8Gig of RAM and Windows 10... it's not the fastest config, and multitasking is painful, but it's perfectly "adequate" for single "one off" tasks like compiling Bitcoin. Wink

I also use Ubuntu with WSL on this machine depending on what I'm trying to test.

Depending on your specs, your mileage may vary
legendary
Farewell, Leo
If I install Ubuntu 18.04 on a 2TB external Maxtor disk will the OS go slower?
legendary
Activity: 1584
Merit: 1280
Heisenberg Design Services
Virtual Machine is slower and uses more resources compared with WSL since WSL is hypervisor type 1, while VM is hypervistor type 2.
+1 with this. I was running Ubuntu through my VM and it was not really a good experience to say. Also Microsoft has stopped the support for Windows 7 which is another double negative to be taken into consideration. Running a Ubuntu through VM isn't good either and running Windows 7 isn't good either.

If I was in the position of OP, I would take a backup of my files and would definitely move on to Linux Mint/Ubuntu (considering OP is a new user of Linux). Why anyone should really depend upon an OS which has no support from the team?
legendary
Activity: 2170
Merit: 1789
-snip-
It sounds like BlackHat is trying to have a dual booting machine. That should be okay, isn't it? If Windows is already installed on the machine then the bootloader that comes with Ubuntu should be able to detect it. There should be an option to boot either to Windows 7 or Ubuntu after that. It might be different if you're starting with Ubuntu and then Windows. From my experience, the Windows bootloader will not detect the Ubuntu OS and you have to fix it by repairing the GRUB bootloader.
HCP
legendary
Not as far as I'm aware. The Windows Subsystem for Linux (aka WSL) which allows you to install various flavours of Unix into Windows is part of Windows 10... it's not available for Windows 7. Your only option on Windows 7 would be to install Ubuntu using Virtual Machine software like Oracle Virtual Box or VMWare or similar.
Pages:
Jump to: