Pages:
Author

Topic: Why can't I retrieve the private key for my bitcoincore wallet address? - page 2. (Read 289 times)

Activity: 1120
Merit: 540
Press F for Leo
Bitcoin Core changed the format of wallets from legacy to descriptor to facilitate the manipulation of creating or importing wallets within bitcoin core. See more on: What’s Coming To The Bitcoin Core Wallet in 0.21

In descriptor wallets commands such as dump and importprivkey will not work.

In a descriptor wallet, you own the private keys and you can get them at any time, but you will get them in descriptor format, inside the descriptor will be the xpriv (BIP32 root master private key). With this key, when using third-party tools, you can generate the wallet's individual keys. Just to remind you, Bitcoin Core uses the standard derivation path for descriptor wallets, so:

Code:
Legacy addresses: BIP44
segwit-compatible: BIP49
native Segwit: BIP84
Taproot: BIP86

See more posts on the same subject:

Why is there no possibility to export privkeys when creating a descriptor wallet

What is the difference between an HD wallet and a Descriptor Wallet, if any ?

[SOLVED] How can one make a Paper Wallet from a Descriptor Wallet ?

How to import an xpriv to a descriptor wallet in bitcoin core?

Activity: 0
Merit: 0
I used to have a bitcoincore wallet and kept my private key, but now I lost my private key and my wallet has no balance so it doesn't matter. But when I download the bitcoincore app and create a new wallet, why can't I retrieve the private key? is the only backup I have just the data in wallet.dat? is this safe?
Pages:
Jump to: