Pages:
Author

Topic: Why China shut down mining farm? Carbon Emission. - page 2. (Read 438 times)

legendary
Activity: 1610
Merit: 1026
I think this is a new deception. The production of green energy equipment requires electricity. Disposing of this equipment is also harmful to the environment.
If green energy 10 years ago was not needed 99% of the time, now we will have other problems.
Then you need to give up cars with a gasoline engine.
legendary
Activity: 2520
Merit: 1490
Canaan Creative has spoken out against the indiscriminate prosecution of mining in China, according to Reuters. The company said that this business helps to use electricity more efficiently and contributes to employment and regional economies.
During a conference call dedicated to financial indicators, Canaan CEO Nangeng Zhang noted that the mining of cryptocurrencies using fossil fuels hinders the efforts of the authorities in the field of ecology, but those who use clean energy should not be subjected to repression. https://www.reuters.com/business/finance/mining-rig-maker-canaan-argues-against-wholesale-crackdown-bitcoin-mining-china-2021-06-02/?rpc=401&
legendary
Activity: 986
Merit: 1000
Crypto Currency , Mining, Exchange ATM, Wallet!
All these carbon emissions in relation to bitcoin mining have nothing to do with reality and can only be applied to countries where there is a shortage of electricity, otherwise just speculation, because according to research, the annual electricity costs of bitcoin miners are 113.89 TWh, while in the production of gold, the figure reaches 240.61 TWh, and in the banking sector-about 263.72 TWh https://www.scribd.com/document/508170253/Galaxy-Digital-Mining-On-Bitcoin-Energy-Consumption#from_embed

all these chart has no sense.
the fact is bitcoin mining used a lot energy. and in winter, use a lot coal-burn energy.
legendary
A couple good links regarding power usage:
Mining power usage
Power usage comparisons
On that comparisons page they looks at the power used in the US alone to power always-on but idle devices: result is that power used for idle devices would power the entire BTC network for 1.9 years.

Regarding China also taking several large aluminum refining plants offline, that is a double 'win' if their goal is to reduce carbon emissions. The reason is because not only does it require vast amounts of energy but also because the process of reducing Al2O3 into Al combines the liberated O2 with carbon from the electrodes used and that produces CO2. How much? 11.5 tons of CO2 per ton of Aluminum. That number is including the CO2 from using coal to produce power. When Hydro is used that same article states that emission drops to two to four tons of CO2 per-ton of Aluminum.
got the point.

try to build up local mining farm, most miner will be moved out of china.
let's help to decentralize the hashrate.
legendary
Activity: 3612
Merit: 2506
Evil beware: We have waffles!
A couple good links regarding power usage:
Mining power usage
Power usage comparisons
On that comparisons page they looks at the power used in the US alone to power always-on but idle devices: result is that power used for idle devices would power the entire BTC network for 1.9 years.

Regarding China also taking several large aluminum refining plants offline, that is a double 'win' if their goal is to reduce carbon emissions. The reason is because not only does it require vast amounts of energy but also because the process of reducing Al2O3 into Al combines the liberated O2 with carbon from the electrodes used and that produces CO2. How much? 11.5 tons of CO2 per ton of Aluminum. That number is including the CO2 from using coal to produce power. When Hydro is used that same article states that emission drops to two to four tons of CO2 per-ton of Aluminum.
legendary
Activity: 2520
Merit: 1490
All these carbon emissions in relation to bitcoin mining have nothing to do with reality and can only be applied to countries where there is a shortage of electricity, otherwise just speculation, because according to research, the annual electricity costs of bitcoin miners are 113.89 TWh, while in the production of gold, the figure reaches 240.61 TWh, and in the banking sector-about 263.72 TWh https://www.scribd.com/document/508170253/Galaxy-Digital-Mining-On-Bitcoin-Energy-Consumption#from_embed

legendary
more detailed policy coming. here is Inner Mongolia banning mining policy:

https://mp.weixin.qq.com/s/rI-Uiu1BKWEAGLJJ0x4cPg
legendary
Activity: 4102
Merit: 7763
'The right to privacy matters'
AT $60k+ BTC I was thinking about putting some S9 units back online.
You have cheap enough electricity where you live?  I thought your state (which I won't disclose) had pretty high utility rates.  Do you still mine bitcoin now and then?

The data center we use forces you to have 2 KVA per rack. I can have 1 RPi in the rack and it still comes with and we pay for 2KVA.
What is nice is that it is in aggregate so 4 racks 8KVa but I can have 2 with 3 and 2 with 1 and it's all good.

So, when we needed more space but not more power we got an extra 4KVa that I have been using to run some old servers for legitimate work.
BUT, it's just to make my life easier. When BTC was at $60k I was thinking of shutting them down and bringing in some S9s

With the above being said, I think it's important to note that there is probably a lot of small miners around that are in the same boat. They have power that they are "forced" to pay for so they mine with it.
Seriously, if we could have had those racks for less money but only 1 KVA you bet we would have taken it.

I have a client who has office space that has fixed electric costs based on space. He runs some GPU rigs since no matter how much he argued with the management company of the building, the power cost would not budge....so now instead of using 30% to 40% of the power they bill him for he is using 85% to 90% If he could figure how to be at 99% without the risk of going over and getting an extra bill you bet your ass he would be there adding GPUs.

-Dave

Yeah we got the sweetheart five year deal it ends in 2023.

our main warehouse guy had a contract for power he prepaid for five years.

he lost his main customer an icecream company and had prepaid power.

we came along and have been there since december 2018.

lots of niche guys like us with 200kwatt here 100 kwatt there.

we have access to 500 kwatts. dont have the gear ⚙️.

so will expand slowly. hope china really does kick out miners it will be good for me.

btw eth hash grows like mad as it simply pays more $$$ per watt of power.
legendary
Activity: 3458
Merit: 6231
Crypto Swap Exchange
You have cheap enough electricity where you live?  I thought your state (which I won't disclose) had pretty high utility rates.  Do you still mine bitcoin now and then?

The data center we use forces you to have 2 KVA per rack. I can have 1 RPi in the rack and it still comes with and we pay for 2KVA.
What is nice is that it is in aggregate so 4 racks 8KVa but I can have 2 with 3 and 2 with 1 and it's all good.

So, when we needed more space but not more power we got an extra 4KVa that I have been using to run some old servers for legitimate work.
BUT, it's just to make my life easier. When BTC was at $60k I was thinking of shutting them down and bringing in some S9s

With the above being said, I think it's important to note that there is probably a lot of small miners around that are in the same boat. They have power that they are "forced" to pay for so they mine with it.
Seriously, if we could have had those racks for less money but only 1 KVA you bet we would have taken it.

I have a client who has office space that has fixed electric costs based on space. He runs some GPU rigs since no matter how much he argued with the management company of the building, the power cost would not budge....so now instead of using 30% to 40% of the power they bill him for he is using 85% to 90% If he could figure how to be at 99% without the risk of going over and getting an extra bill you bet your ass he would be there adding GPUs.

-Dave
legendary
Activity: 3234
Merit: 6706
Proudly Cycling Merits for Foxpup
legendary
Segwit2M

Sorry, since they still support anti-consensus things, I don't trust them for being fair also in their news. Do you have other source for this "information"?
I mean that 50% drop sounds catastrophic, but on the other hand the number seems to be plainly out of the belly. So without better proof, it can go straight into the FUD bin.
take a look the reply of next post.
legendary
This probably belongs more in mining speculation but we saw a 20%+ difficulty jump on the 13th, but that came after the 12% drop on the 1st, now if everything stays stable we are looking at about an 8% drop in a couple of days.
That looks more to me like the difficulty is moving with the price (with the 2 week delay of difficulty adjustment)

At $40K- BTC I am thinking about pulling the S19 offline and selling it here.

How many other people wind up in the same loop?

Saying China is shutting down farms for carbon emissions is FUD at best.

-Dave

so, go to google the policy of Mr. Xi announcement on May 1st. here is link: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-05-01/xi-vows-focus-on-emission-cuts-end-energy-inefficient-projects.

and china Copper smelting companies reduce imports of copper concentrate , in order to reduce power consumption .https://www.zaobao.com.sg/realtime/china/story20210509-1145472
legendary
Activity: 3458
Merit: 6231
Crypto Swap Exchange
This probably belongs more in mining speculation but we saw a 20%+ difficulty jump on the 13th, but that came after the 12% drop on the 1st, now if everything stays stable we are looking at about an 8% drop in a couple of days.
That looks more to me like the difficulty is moving with the price (with the 2 week delay of difficulty adjustment)

At $40K- BTC I am thinking about pulling the S19 offline and selling it here.

How many other people wind up in the same loop?

Saying China is shutting down farms for carbon emissions is FUD at best.

-Dave
legendary
Activity: 3500
Merit: 6205
Looking for campaign manager? Contact icopress!
Segwit2M

Sorry, since they still support anti-consensus things, I don't trust them for being fair also in their news. Do you have other source for this "information"?
I mean that 50% drop sounds catastrophic, but on the other hand the number seems to be plainly out of the belly. So without better proof, it can go straight into the FUD bin.
legendary
Why China shut down mining farm? Carbon Emission.
here is one great article, Predicted this shutting down action.

Bitcoin Segwit2M (B2X)-Green and Scaled bitcoin.
https://bitcoinnewyork.medium.com/bitcoin-segwit2m-b2x-green-and-scaled-bitcoin-3f0b0b32ac64

China are shutting down all high energy consumption, high pollution factory, because of Carbo emission. this is global govs unified action.
we will see the hashrate drop 30-50% at the end of this year. because in winter, all Chinese farm are shut down : no enough hydro , and gov control the carbon emission, shut down the coal-burn electricity supply.

good timing for over sea miners join mining. if you have cheap than 4 usd cent electricity, and enough capacity.
Pages:
Jump to: