Pages:
Author

Topic: why do people buy computers, with possible trojans pre-installed? - page 2. (Read 3536 times)

Activity: 80
Merit: 10
Best place to DL?
legendary
Activity: 1050
Merit: 1000
You are WRONG!
Is it the thread where ppl insult windows cause they think it's still windows 3.1?

First you call windows a trojan and now you say that you just want to know why ppl use closed source.

In page 3 you will again change the point of the thread?
possible trojans, i did not say it was.
3.1? no 7
3.1 has in fact less trojan-like attitude, beacuse there was no auto update feature(trojan downloader feature).

you may say that most linux distros also have autoupdate features, but you can always read the source, and ensure there is no trojans.
you can't read the source of windows, becuase its closed source.

my points with the post was:
a) to make windows users aware of what they are using and how much control they have over their computers.
b) to learn how they justify being paranoid(many users here have 3 layered tinfoil hats) and use windows at the same time.

maybe calling windows a trojan was a overkill, yes true. but i did it to show the contrast. microsoft can actually install whatever they want on your computer, again im not saying they does it, only that they can.

legendary
Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008
If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat
Is it the thread where ppl insult windows cause they think it's still windows 3.1?

First you call windows a trojan and now you say that you just want to know why ppl use closed source.

In page 3 you will again change the point of the thread?
legendary
You are WRONG!
Unless you're saying that the operating systems themselves are infected (I think someone would have noticed by this point), I always ended up reinstalling the system on the machines I purchased anyway, due the amount of bloatware many have on them. As a result, even if I were to suspect that, it wouldn't be a factor in the end.

But if you do find some sort of malware on a pre-assembled machine - I'm sure you'll have quite a few lawyers willing to take up the case for nothing, as you'll have quite a check waiting for you by the end of the proceedings!
windows is not infected, it is the possible malware!
microsoft can gain access to any networked windows system, via the preinstalled trojan downloading system called windows update.
and you would have no knowledge of it.

let my simplify the question, why are people using closed source?
Activity: 18
Merit: 0
Unless you're saying that the operating systems themselves are infected (I think someone would have noticed by this point), I always ended up reinstalling the system on the machines I purchased anyway, due the amount of bloatware many have on them. As a result, even if I were to suspect that, it wouldn't be a factor in the end.

But if you do find some sort of malware on a pre-assembled machine - I'm sure you'll have quite a few lawyers willing to take up the case for nothing, as you'll have quite a check waiting for you by the end of the proceedings!
Activity: 476
Merit: 250
moOo
this is one reason most corps use both.

and people do try to watch what is leaving their network, that is how the first "spyware" was found in realplayer.

but more than corps, you might have noticed countries are worried about the us government control over MS.

I guess it depends on how sensitive you think your data is.

for 99% of us, windows is the least of our worries.

People also get windows as that is what their friends have, they also get windows cause they know a kid down the street that can fix windows, not many are lucky enough to know a kid who knows linux. This is key. When windows goes bad, you have someone you can call. ANd it is hard enough to get people to update their browsers, and you want them to install ubuntu? lol

yeah I think that if computers, came with linux preinstalled(like some netbooks) a good bit of people wouldnt even notice but if you ask people what they want, they want windows and office, the dont want linux and libreoffice or open office, (farken drives me nuts, i can show them it works fine for every document on their system but they hear stories about it not working sometimes and nope they just want office.)

and in a corporate world trying to change anything is like pulling teeth, their are corps with win95 systems still running their custom apps.
legendary
You are WRONG!
People buy PCs and laptops with Windows preinstalled because almost all PCs and laptops come with Windows preinstalled. It's as simple as that. Most people don't have the technical knowledge to attempt to install a different operating system than what came by default.
I disagree.

The problem is not that people don't have the technical knowledge required, but that they THINK they don't have the technical knowledge required.

Honestly, installing something like OpenSuSE is just as point-and-click as installing any emoticons-and-cursors malware-ridden toolbar (yes, I'm looking at you, SmileyCentral and CometCursor) you can find for Windows. The issue is that people never do it, and thus assume it must be something complicated, as none of their peers did it either, so it must be something out of their knowledge field. Which is just plain untrue.

Most users are simply afraid to do things with a computer, afraid to break it or otherwise mess it up.
+1
Activity: 294
People buy PCs and laptops with Windows preinstalled because almost all PCs and laptops come with Windows preinstalled. It's as simple as that. Most people don't have the technical knowledge to attempt to install a different operating system than what came by default.
I disagree.

The problem is not that people don't have the technical knowledge required, but that they THINK they don't have the technical knowledge required.

Honestly, installing something like OpenSuSE is just as point-and-click as installing any emoticons-and-cursors malware-ridden toolbar (yes, I'm looking at you, SmileyCentral and CometCursor) you can find for Windows. The issue is that people never do it, and thus assume it must be something complicated, as none of their peers did it either, so it must be something out of their knowledge field. Which is just plain untrue.

Most users are simply afraid to do things with a computer, afraid to break it or otherwise mess it up.
Activity: 98
Merit: 10

seriously, installing ubuntu from a cd is free and is all point and click
Activity: 56
Merit: 0
legendary
You are WRONG!
This strikes me as a little FUDdy.

Windows has huge security holes. Being closed source, only MS can vet it. So yes, It's not as safe as Linux.

But a pre-installed trojan? Might be a bit much, don't you think?
a little bit, maybe. but microsoft can control any windows computer.
im not saying they do it, but they can.

It seems to me that once Microsoft activates their hidden trojans and starts to spy on ordinary users, the financial loss from future windows sales would be a lot more then what they can get out of people.
and your point is?

they haves no motive. BUT THEY CAN.
Activity: 532
Merit: 500
FIAT LIBERTAS RVAT CAELVM
I'm more concerned with all the pirated copies that can't get updates, and thus, are literally dangling in the wind for hackers to come along and take over. Allowing security updates on 'non-genuine' copies of windows would kill probably half the world's spam, and 3/4 of the DDoS attacks.
Activity: 121
Merit: 100

Windows has huge security holes. Being closed source, only MS can vet it. So yes, It's not as safe as Linux.

It seems to me that once Microsoft activates their hidden trojans and starts to spy on ordinary users, the financial loss from future windows sales would be a lot more then what they can get out of people.
legendary
You are WRONG!

Activity: 532
Merit: 500
FIAT LIBERTAS RVAT CAELVM

legendary
You are WRONG!
yes im talking about windows, i simply can't understand why sooo many people cares so much about their privacy, and still uses windows.
the windows users have no way of knowing what microsoft does to them. i do not say microsoft does this things, im only saying they can do it!
can anyone please explain this for me? im simply incapable of understanding it.

use open source i say!

Microsoft already pulls in billions of dollars with Windows.  What possible motivation would they have to install a trojan?  Are they going to steal your bank account infoz too? 
i did not say that. i just said that they can. and there are no reason to trust them.
legendary
You are WRONG!
I personally can't be bothered with spending my whole weekend trying to get a webcam, scanner, or mobile broadband modem to work under linux, acquiring lots of technical knowledge that is practically worthless because it will be out of date in a few years.  I mean, don't you have better stuff to do in your precious free time?

I know that this  is not entirely the fault of linux but of the peripherals manufacturers who don't make drivers for linux, but what can I do about that?

Generally, linux sucks for multimedia stuff.

I like to use linux for coding though. But for that I can run it in a VM.

For secure stuff like online banking, I do use a separate linux netbook anyhow.

Why not benefit from the best of both worlds?
You tried to run Gentoo?
its likely. gentoo is a good geek distro. but it absolutely not for noobs, or people who does not want to learn.
yes im talking about windows, i simply can't understand why sooo many people cares so much about their privacy, and still uses windows.
the windows users have no way of knowing what microsoft does to them. i do not say microsoft does this things, im only saying they can do it!

use open source i say!

Microsoft already pulls in billions of dollars with Windows.  What possible motivation would they have to install a trojan?  Are they going to steal your bank account infoz too? 

There is only one thing that companies and people with money want: more money.

And some companies do that by collecting and selling data.
Activity: 672
Merit: 252
Until the end

use open source i say!

I personally can't be bothered with spending my whole weekend trying to get a webcam, scanner, or mobile broadband modem to work under linux, acquiring lots of technical knowledge that is practically worthless because it will be out of date in a few years.  I mean, don't you have better stuff to do in your precious free time?

I know that this  is not entirely the fault of linux but of the peripherals manufacturers who don't make drivers for linux, but what can I do about that?

Generally, linux sucks for multimedia stuff.

I like to use linux for coding though. But for that I can run it in a VM.

For secure stuff like online banking, I do use a separate linux netbook anyhow.

Why not benefit from the best of both worlds?
You tried to run Gentoo?
Pages:
Jump to: