Pages:
Author

Topic: Why do useful alt coins fail in price? - page 2. (Read 1394 times)

legendary
Activity: 2506
Merit: 1030
Twitter @realmicroguy
June 29, 2015, 12:35:21 PM
I would rather not give names because people will take it the wrong way. I know it's early days still and a lot of these coins that come out as heroes for a month end up at under 10k USD in marketcap after a short while with no volume.

The altcoin markets are influenced by hundreds of factors. Never underestimate the powerful spell psychology casts upon the market.
Activity: 546
Merit: 500
AKA The Rubber Monkey
June 29, 2015, 12:13:04 PM
Many of the coins aren't as useful as some people may think. Most of them are just a faster version (yet often less stable) of Bitcoin. There are some notable exceptions though. Unfortunately, the good coins often get lumped in with the bad ones.
Activity: 57
Merit: 0
June 29, 2015, 11:24:50 AM
A lot of the useful altcoins are boring and much of the funds are in speculative coins which are used to pump and dump to get more btc for new users.

This is the conclusion I have come too, sadly!
Although I would say 99% of new users would get badly burnt when looking at altcoin options for the first time.
legendary
Activity: 1344
Merit: 1000
June 29, 2015, 11:19:04 AM
A lot of the useful altcoins are boring and much of the funds are in speculative coins which are used to pump and dump to get more btc for new users.
June 29, 2015, 10:42:29 AM
I would rather not give names because people will take it the wrong way. I know it's early days still and a lot of these coins that come out as heroes for a month end up at under 10k USD in marketcap after a short while with no volume.
Activity: 756
Merit: 506
June 29, 2015, 10:31:17 AM
I have noticed that coins which don't have much going for them besides gimmicky features and more importantly low supply end up doing the best in terms of marketcap. Coins with usability appear to be overlooked or prices driven down so others don't take notice. Is the altcoin market used purely as a slot machine?

Care to make a particular example or two?  Be careful about putting too much emphasis on $Fiat price.  A lot of alternates are still worth the same in Bitcoin or have increased in BTC value, but their $Fiat value decreased because Bitcoin went from $1250 down to $255 over the past years.  

It's true the coins without gimmicky features and smaller supplies seem to be doing better, but in a long term position I think that's all an illusion of timing.  Litecoin, for example, for all intensive purposes has been abandoned (Charlie Lee left for CoinBase) and I don't think Litecoin will produce any ecosystem breakthroughs that will send it to the moon.

That's compared to Bitshares, NEM and NXT which seem to be working on ecosystem initiatives which could later pay off.   Bitcoin right now is 100,000 users according to the Federal Reserve and that is after 6 years.  That's compared to Bitshares, NEM or NXT where maybe one will produce some platform product that nets them a million users.

June 29, 2015, 10:21:12 AM
I have noticed that coins which don't have much going for them besides gimmicky features and more importantly low supply end up doing the best in terms of marketcap. Coins with usability appear to be overlooked or prices driven down so others don't take notice. Is the altcoin market used purely as a slot machine?
Pages:
Jump to: